• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Help Me Understand the 4K UHD Record/Play process...

Laserfisher

I have a HTPC, running WINDOWS 10, Intel i7-4770, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 6600, ASUS BW-16D1HT player, ANYDVD purchased, and a Samsung UN65KS9000 4K TV. I store my DVDs, and BluRays, on Dlink NAS RAIDs in ISO form, and I've never had an issue with ANYDVD and any disk I wanted to back up and play with Virtual Clone Drive, and POWERDVD 14. Now for the new frontier: 4K UHD's. The ASUS disc player was just purchased because it is on the "friendly" list.With my limited understanding, there are two ways to see the movie on the screen: A)1) buy 4K UHD movie. 2) put in official player, 3) have KABY LAKE motherboard with enough RAM and correct onboard video HDMI output. 4) have approved HDMI cable to correct HDMI input on the 4K TV,5) have Windows 10 operating system, and PowerDVD 17. OK that should play the 4k UHD. Now the other way B) 1)My hardware system to RIP the 4K UHD ISO to my RAID, using ANYDVD. Here's where I lose the path... Virtual Clone Drive will or won't mount the 4K UHD on my RAID? If it won't, what's the step I'm missing?

Virtual Clone drive will mount UHD from a normal internal or USB drive, so I can't see why it wouldn't from your RAID. What makes you think it won't?

Whether you mount it as in ISO or not you still have a choice to make about how to play it. Powerdvd, in which case all the requirements in your first point remain. Or play it with something else (albeit likely without full menu) such as Kodi, VLC, MPC or other hardware.

Last edited:
If you don't want to shell out major cash for a Z270 or up chipset based system (which is what's required, in a nutshell) you have a cheaper option. Convert UHD discs to MKV. Play them from USB or from an nvidia shield for example or any other cheap 4K android based player. They'll work just the same for a lot less cash. You'll just only have the main movie, and not menu's & bonus features...

I have to admit the ASUS player install is this weekends project. I looked at the write-up of Virtual Clone Drive and nothing was said about 4K UHD compatibility, so I assumed the worst. That's the reason for the thread. So if I understand your post, even though I RIP it with ANYDVD, the fact its a 4K file will prevent POWERDVD 17 from playing it on my Hardware?

I have to admit the ASUS player install is this weekends project. I looked at the write-up of Virtual Clone Drive and nothing was said about 4K UHD compatibility, so I assumed the worst. That's the reason for the thread. So if I understand your post, even though I RIP it with ANYDVD, the fact its a 4K file will prevent POWERDVD 17 from playing it on my Hardware?

That depends, if your system is Z270 or up (370) it SHOULD work, on the condition that your system is properly configured for intel SGX, your display device is hooked up to the iGPU, and NOT a discrete GFX card. discrete card like the GTX 10xx series > broken security chain > no 4K for you. Even with decrypted content, a user here contacted cyberlink themselves and they pretty much stated that even for non-encrypted content, if its 4K the iGPU is required and enforced.

Thanks for the answer Ch3vr0n. Since I have not done it yet, and I'm not at home to look, ANYDVD will make the MKV file you mentioned? Then a internet connection between my RAID and a standalone android based player will play the MKV file to my TV?

So, in summary, my hardware/software as described is good enough to RIP the ISO, or MKV file to my RAID. BUT, unless I upgrade my HTPC motherboard to KABY LAKE, etc, I can't play it back unless I have a standalone android based player to play the MKV file to my TV? Did I get that right?

AnyDVD is only a decrypter/ripper. Creating an MKV requires recoding and that's not something anydvd is designed to do. But CloneBD can :), provided anydvd was able to decrypt it first ;) Then just copy the MKV to a thumbdrive or something and stick that thing in the TV. Unless you have something like KODI/plex to stream to the TV. On that other part, almost, not quite.

Unless you upgrade to kaby like or higher, no UHD 4 you IF you want to play with a licensed player such as PowerDVD. Android players, kodi, mpc-hc/be don't give a damn about that ;). Convert to MKV and you're done. Maybe, PDVD17 will play that mkv too, not sure.

AnyDVD is only a decrypter/ripper. Creating an MKV requires recoding and that's not something anydvd is designed to do. But CloneBD can :), provided anydvd was able to decrypt it first ;) Then just copy the MKV to a thumbdrive or something and stick that thing in the TV. Unless you have something like KODI/plex to stream to the TV. On that other part, almost, not quite.

Unless you upgrade to kaby like or higher, no UHD 4 you IF you want to play with a licensed player such as PowerDVD. Android players, kodi, mpc-hc/be don't give a damn about that ;). Convert to MKV and you're done. Maybe, PDVD17 will play that mkv too, not sure.

PDVD17 will play the MKV .

PDVD17 will play the MKV .

Thanks for the reply's! So I can RIP with AnyDVD, then convert to MKV with CloneBD. Then I can play the MKV on PDVD17, but do I still need the approved 4K path, i.e.Kaby Lake,Z270 Etc. to get it to the Samsung?

Thanks for the reply's! So I can RIP with AnyDVD, then convert to MKV with CloneBD. Then I can play the MKV on PDVD17, but do I still need the approved 4K path, i.e.Kaby Lake,Z270 Etc. to get it to the Samsung?

You do not need the "approved path" unless you are playing the ISO rip as a disc. i.e. if you point PDVD at the ISO or a mounted ISO then PDVD checks for "approved path". If you just play a 4K MKV in PDVD or indeed an individual M2tS file from the ISO then it does not check. Kodi, VLC and other software will also play 4K in the scenarios above and also if you just point Kodi (V18 beta) at the ISO.

Last edited:
will PowerDVD17 play it in HDR or Dolby Vision? My computer is about 5 years old so it doesn't have one of the newer processors.

Powerdvd doesn't yet support Dolby Vision. It does support HDR10. Whether your hardware supports it is another matter but its unlikely if its 5 years old.

Will VLC, MPC-HC or Kodi play the MKV in HDR10 & Dolby Vision?

I’d like to use Clone BD to make the MKV to play in my Oppo-203 but unforunately like others have reported in this forum for some reason MKVs made with Clone BD don’t play video in the Oppo-203. It does with MKVs made with other software but not Clone BD.

I really appreciate this thread. It’s a learning process.

Last edited:

I’d like to use Clone BD to make the MKV to play in my Oppo-203 but unforunately like others have reported in this forum for some reason MKVs made with Clone BD don’t play video in the Oppo-203. It does with MKVs made with other software but not Clone BD.

I really appreciate this thread. It’s a learning process.

Your TV doesn't support Dolby vision does it?

Yes it does. I have an LG G7 OLED. My receiver also has Dolby Vision & HDR pass through. I also have an Oppo 203 that does DV & HDR. The only thing that doesn’t do DV is my computer.

It doesn’t help to plug it directly into my TV though. My TV only does Dolby Digital thru ARC & doesn’t have a HDMI output from the TV to my receiver.

I don’t use a sound bar I have a 7.1 sound system.

Yes it does. I have an LG G7 OLED. My receiver also has Dolby Vision & HDR pass through. I also have an Oppo 203 that does DV & HDR. The only thing that doesn’t do DV is my computer.

It doesn’t help to plug it directly into my TV though. My TV only does Dolby Digital thru ARC & doesn’t have a HDMI output from the TV to my receiver.

I don’t use a sound bar I have a 7.1 sound system.

Sorry I confused you with the OP who had a Samsung.

PDVD17 doesn't support DV. Neither, according to leaked feature list, will PDVD18 when it's released, although this may change. I don't see how the others will support DV as it requires a licence fee to Dolby and it's hard to see how they would do that when their product is free. I believe they all support HDR though. MPC-HC with Madvr.

Is there anyway to play an .iso or MKV with Dolby Vision thru any software or hardware right now?

Right now I may have to deal with a MKV HDR file playing thru my Oppo 203. Clone BD will make a MKV file from my 4k UHD disc but I can’t get the video to play thru my Oppo 203 UHD player. It will play MKV files with video & audio made through DVDFab.

I’ve seen where other people are having the same problem with the Oppo 203 & MKV files made with Clone BD.

I really don’t want to go thru DVDFab for MKV files. Is there any chance that Clone BD in the future can get this problem fixed? I really like Redfox products & want to use Clone BD.

Last edited:
OK, progress report. Got the ASUS drive installed. Loaded up my newly purchased copy of CloneBD. Put Star Trek Beyond 4K in the ASUS, and Zowie! AnyDVD recognized it, and then I copied the ISO to hard drive. Now it was CloneBD's turn to make what I assumed to be the decrypted ISO into an MKV file. Nope! Clone BD gave an Error message almost immediately, and generated a LOG file. To see if it worked on a Blu Ray, I used it on Atomic Blonde and it made the MKV file, which plays perfectly on PowerDVD. I sent the LOG file to Bugs@elby.ch on Monday... Black Hole. I uploaded the LOG file. Any Ideas how this newby went wrong?

Back