• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VLC 3 Released

David_B

As many of you probably already know, VLC 3 was released yesterday. Although it adds a ton of great new features, two that I was most excited about were support for network drive browsing and BluRay menu support. Has anyone had a chance to play with BluRay support yet? Does it cooperate with original protected BluRay disks? I tried to play a rip of "The Edge of Seventeen" and it reported a region error (see attached screenshot), but it was able to play a rip of "Frozen" without any problems.

Attachments

• VLC Error.png
    VLC Error.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 23
Unfortunately, Java menu support fails on my Windows 10 x64 system. VLC states I don't have Java installed. In fact, I have the Java SE RE 9.0.4 x64 installed. Non-Java menus seem fine. I can't comment on playback of protected content because that requires LibAACS and I don't have it installed & configured. I always use AnyDVD in the background for protection removal.

Unfortunately, Java menu support fails on my Windows 10 x64 system. VLC states I don't have Java installed. In fact, I have the Java SE RE 9.0.4 x64 installed. Non-Java menus seem fine. I can't comment on playback of protected content because that requires LibAACS and I don't have it installed & configured. I always use AnyDVD in the background for protection removal.
I tried playing "The Edge of Seventeen" with AnyDVD opened, but it was still happening. As for your Java problem, try installing a copy of JRE 8 alongside JRE 9. I upgraded to 9 when it came out as well, but after doing so, a bunch of my programs that are dependent on Java stopped working because with the release of Java 9, the structure of the release was changed dramatically and many programs have not been updated to work with it. If you need JRE 9 for something, you can keep it installed as I have done, or you can just downgrade back to 8.

Stupid question time. Are you in fact using the x64 version of VLC? Or did you install the standard 32 bit version that downloads by default? Cause if you have Java x64 installed and you try a 32 bit version of VLC, it will no workie. :) Also, I agree, JRE 9 sucks right now for compatibility. I'd also recommend JRE 8 for now. I went back to it after NUMEROUS problems with 9.

Stupid question time. Are you in fact using the x64 version of VLC? Or did you install the standard 32 bit version that downloads by default? Cause if you have Java x64 installed and you try a 32 bit version of VLC, it will no workie. :) Also, I agree, JRE 9 sucks right now for compatibility. I'd also recommend JRE 8 for now. I went back to it after NUMEROUS problems with 9.

Java 9 x64 with VLC x64 installed, of course. ;)

I've only run into maybe 2 instances where Java 9 broke a program and it wasn't a big deal and I just stopped using the programs. Nonetheless, I installed Java 8 x64, as well. I'll do some testing. Not like I really plan on using VLC to watch Blu-rays, however. :)

Would still be nice to get it working as another option, however. If I have some time this morning I'll see if I can get it to work on my machine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Would still be nice to get it working as another option, however. If I have some time this morning I'll see if I can get it to work on my machine.
As I am stupid, I just installed the version offered at videolan. Went to Oracle and just installed the Java version offered (some 8 version). Works. Probably both 32 bit. I have a 64bit OS, but I am playing dumb and it works. ;)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Are these footers a "tapatalk thing"? Annoying, makes quoting harder.

EDIT:
Damn, needed three edits to get it right.

They are. Just include them in the quote lol. They are by default

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Are we all actually sure that BluRay menus in VLC require Java to be installed? Oracle's licensing for the JEW allows it to be shipped with programs the rely on it. I would think that if it were actually necessary, VideoLAN would have bundled it with the release.

They can't. VLC is fully open source. Java isn't

They can't. VLC is fully open source. Java isn't
Oracle doesn't care as long as you do not modify the JRE that you ship with it. The only thing that would stop VLC from including the JRE is not wanting to. They could also use the open source alternative.

Java menus, yes.
Oh, alright then. Out of curiosity, is PowerDVD the same way? All of the machines I've ever used PowerDVD on have had Java installed.

Perhaps Oracle doesn't care, but the videolan non-profit organization does. Plus it would increase the download size 5-10x if not more? If you don't use VLC for Blu-ray or you use PowerDVD for example then you have no need for the bundled Java. It's better the way it is

Perhaps Oracle doesn't care, but the videolan non-profit organization does. Plus it would increase the download size 5-10x if not more? If you don't use VLC for Blu-ray or you use PowerDVD for example then you have no need for the bundled Java. It's better the way it is
Indeed. I believe the rules have changed for JRE 9 though so you can ship only the parts that you need. Anyway, your point is well taken about the VLC non-profit.

As I am stupid, I just installed the version offered at videolan. Went to Oracle and just installed the Java version offered (some 8 version). Works. Probably both 32 bit. I have a 64bit OS, but I am playing dumb and it works. ;)

Are these footers a "tapatalk thing"? Annoying, makes quoting harder.

EDIT:
Damn, needed three edits to get it right.

I grabbed the 64 bit version of everything but I didn't get a chance to play with it today. I'll look at it tomorrow.

And yes, those are tapatalk things. Not sure if I can turn it off or not. I'll take a look.

Oracle doesn't care as long as you do not modify the JRE that you ship with it. The only thing that would stop VLC from including the JRE is not wanting to. They could also use the open source alternative.

Oh, alright then. Out of curiosity, is PowerDVD the same way? All of the machines I've ever used PowerDVD on have had Java installed.

PowerDVD is a licensed player and as such has a version of Java built in. But it's not oracle java it's licensed by the AACS LA.

Interesting.

Anyway, has anyone run in to the issue I mentioned in the OP about "Edge of 17"?

Interesting.

Anyway, has anyone run in to the issue I mentioned in the OP about "Edge of 17"?
Have you set the right region removal in AnyDVD, or set the correct player region in VLC?

They are. Just include them in the quote lol. They are by default

An aside, but does this method of disabling the Tapatalk sig work still?

Tap the 'Me' icon bottom right of app.
Tap the 'Settings' line.
Scroll down to 'Advanced Options' and tap the 'Signature' line.
Tap the toggle switch to turn the signature off.

Back