• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD unable to read playlists on some UHD discs

mbarnstijn

One example is American Assassin, Canadian release. AnyDVD HD log attached, along with the CloneBD dump file (which I sent to Elaborate Bytes already). It's not clear to me that this is a CloneBD issue, so I'm posting here.

My strong preference for making backups of my purchased UHD discs is to make an ISO and play that back in my networked Dune 4K player. I figure EVENTUALLY full menu playback will be implemented.

However, the Dune player cannot see the playlists on American Assassin and a few other discs out of the 61 UHD discs I've backed up. CloneBD has issues reading the playlists of the same exact discs and no others.

My conclusion: it's likely that either 1.) AnyDVD has modified something in these UHD discs that affects playlist readability; or 2.) the playlists on these discs have something new in them that neither CloneBD nor Dune players can understand.

PowerDVD won't play UHD on my computer due to graphics card and processor (AMD) incompatibility, so I cannot test actual playback with PowerDVD, the only authorized disc-based UHD player software I've got.

Has anyone else had a problem with playlists of a UHD disc (or ISO mount of a backup) in CloneBD or PowerDVD or a Dune player?

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_K_AMERICAN_ASSASSIN.ziplog
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
Has anyone else had a problem with playlists of a UHD disc (or ISO mount of a backup) in CloneBD or PowerDVD or a Dune player?
--michael

I have experienced this with a couple different titles in my collection and wasn't sure if this was CloneBD or AnyDVDHD related. When you get to the copy mode section you are prompted with a box displaying "The following minor problems were detected" "can't read playlist x" and it repeats the remaining playlists that it cannot read. Screenshot of the error in Clone BD (attached).

Since this is feature is still "experimental" presuming they are not reviewing logs for UHD disks at this time. If logs would be helpful - please let me know.

Attachments

• CloneBD minor problem.PNG
    CloneBD minor problem.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 19
... Has anyone else had a problem with playlists of a UHD disc (or ISO mount of a backup) in CloneBD or PowerDVD ...

... When you get to the copy mode section you are prompted with a box displaying "The following minor problems were detected" "can't read playlist x" and it repeats the remaining playlists that it cannot read....

I mentioned in another thread that this is the same exact issue I had with Dark Tower UHD. The same list of playlists that can't be read when using CloneBD.

mbarnstijn, I do have the ability to play UHD's in PDVD17 but this title completely broke that application. It "went black" and I got a system message that it was malfunctioning and had to be shut down.

I can reproduce this and get the exact message if needed.

In my case, AnyDVD was decrypting not the original UHD but an encrypted iso backup of the disc that I made with AnyDVD 8.2.1.3.

When I made this iso, I also created a decrypted folder from the same disc using makeMKV. Neither CloneBD nor PDVD have any problems with this folder, so I don't think this is a problem with a bad disc.

Like you, HT_Enthusiast, I just figured it may be some small hiccup in AnyDVD's new UHD process.

Is the common link that we are all using iso's created by a previous AnyDVD version? Or using encrypted iso's?

By the way, I have other encrypted iso's made by the same AnyDVD release and they all currently decrypt just fine with 8.2.1.10 ....

T

Is the common link that we are all using iso's created by a previous AnyDVD version? Or using encrypted iso's?

In my case - i'm not using ISO's. I just grab the disc off the shelf and place in my WH16NS40. I've tried all of the latest AnyDVD HD versions including today's update. Out of the 2 discs I've encountered this playlist issue, only one was without a main feature.

@James is it at all possible that there's an issue with AnyDVD's processing of some minority of UHD discs that might lead to mangling of playlists? Is there any further information we can give you that might help confirm or deny such a problem?

--michael

CloneBD has issues reading the playlists of the same exact discs and no others.
The AnyDVD log file contains the original mpls files and CloneBD reads them fine.
Can you please post a zip with the modified playlists (with AnyDVD running)?

Since this is feature is still "experimental" presuming they are not reviewing logs for UHD disks at this time.
I'm not aware of an experimental state.
But don't you think that posting log files would be all the more justified, if it IS experimental? ;)
What's an experiment worth if you don't see the results?

Here's the playlist folder from the original UHD disc of American Assassin with AnyDVD 8.2.2.0 running.

Attachments

• American Assassin PLAYLIST.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
But don't you think that posting log files would be all the more justified, if it IS experimental? ;)
What's an experiment worth if you don't see the results?
Totally agree - Thanks for looking into this - :thankyou:

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_G_THE_FATE_OF_THE_FURIOUS.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_G_TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
@Pete, here are logs and Playlist zips of the other four titles I've got that trigger playlist problems on CloneBD and my Dune player.

Attachments

• Spider-Man Homecoming PLAYLIST.zip
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_O_SPIDER_MAN_HOMECOMING.ziplog
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Atomic Blonde PLAYLIST.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_N_ATOMIC_BLONDE.ziplog
  • Valerian PLAYLIST.zip
    16.9 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_L_VALERIAN.ziplog
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Fate of the Furious PLAYLIST.zip
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_K_THE_FATE_OF_THE_FURIOUS.ziplog
@Pete here's the AnyDVD log for Dark Tower.

Though probably not needed, also including screenshots of what happens in PDVD 17 and CloneBD for this UHD.

Not sure what a Playlist zip is. If you need that how do I create it?

[FYI: Spiderman Homecoming and Valerian work fine for me. For both, I use the original disc, not the iso as I did for Dark Tower]

[EDIT: Guys, sorry seems I misspoke. Spiderman Homecoming and Valerian definitely do have the same CloneBD issue for me. They do not immediately break PDVD, but I now see that play is erratic for these and eventually during the movie PDVD does crash.]

T

CloneBD issue with Dark Tower UHD.PNG PowerDVD 17 issue with Dark Tower UHD.PNG

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.2.0_Info_J_THE_DARK_TOWER.ziplog
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@testiles, those playlist zips are just a zip file containing the PLAYLIST folder from the disc, made while AnyDVD is running. The AnyDVD log contains the playlist folder contents from BEFORE AnyDVD processes it, so that extra zip file lets the devs do a before/after analysis.

OK, thanks.
AnyDVD is messing these playlists up - because the format is unknown.

We don't have UHD specifications, so at the moment, we'll have to put on our guessing hat....

OK, thanks.
AnyDVD is messing these playlists up - because the format is unknown.

We don't have UHD specifications, so at the moment, we'll have to put on our guessing hat....
You could also look in your crystalball

Ok, an updated beta will appear soon.
The problem is Dolby Vision, which uses a so far unknown field in the playlist files.

Ok, an updated beta will appear soon.
The problem is Dolby Vision, which uses a so far unknown field in the playlist files.
I can confirm that the latest Beta (8.2.2.1) resolves the playlist issue on the two titles i was experiencing the playlist issue with. Appreciate the support! :thankyou:

... those playlist zips are just a zip file containing the PLAYLIST folder from the disc, made while AnyDVD is running. The AnyDVD log contains the playlist folder contents from BEFORE AnyDVD processes it, so that extra zip file lets the devs do a before/after analysis.

Ah ok. Makes sense.

Thanks for the info mbarnstijn.

... Ok, an updated beta will appear soon.
The problem is Dolby Vision, which uses a so far unknown field in the playlist files...

OMG, you know @Pete you really are amazing! And the speed that you guys diagnose and fix things is incredible.

Installed the latest beta and Dark Tower is no longer breaking PDVD!

Valerian and Spiderman Homecoming appear to be playing too. I haven't played the movies entirely but spot-checking chapters seems to show all is a-ok.

The CloneBD issue has gone away for these movies as well. At least here on my computer.

Just incredible!

T

Wheee! Thanks! :bowdown: Yes, after making new backups with 8.2.2.1 all five of the UHD discs I mentioned above are working well with my Dune 4K players and CloneBD.

Cheers!

--michael

What Dune 4K player are you using? How are you handling HDR (or Dolby Vision) with the Dune?

@fatherom I'm using the Dune Solo 4K at the moment. I'll probably upgrade to the Pro 4K to get proper handling of HDR. My TV is the Samsung QLED QN55Q7F (2017 model), so it should handle the HDR/Dolby Vision when it receives the proper signal. I'm not convinced that the Dune Solo 4K sends HDR to the TV. But I also don't have the time to research that question and figure out if there's something I can adjust/hack on the Solo 4K to ensure proper HDR operation.

Do you know of a particular issue with HDR and the Solo 4K and similar early Dune 4K players? If so, a pointer to where to start reading the best analyses of the problem would be welcome.

Cheers,

--michael

Back