• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best GUI encoder for UHD Blu-rays

you probably just have to create a template with the script in it

Just created a template and a detailed readme first use text file for guys getting into uhd hdr encoding. The link to the script fix for straxrip 1.7 now called imhh1 build is here.

Update Nov 1st, 2020 latest fix redownload as all fixes are added now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/teqxiyhq60r7e32/StaxRip1.8.2.0.x64_%28avx2%29.zip/file

Unrar and please read the first time users to learn how to auto load the 10bit pipeline template with the fixed script so all your encodes will be 10bit color into the encode thru the encoder and out of the encoder giving you nice band free hdr.

Here is a quick video I put together in 2 hrs edited and uploaded to help out anyone who wants to save hhd space for their collection and retain hdr. hehe :)

PS in readme file I have examples of resolutions
1920x1080
2560x1440
3849x 2160 ---- 3840 2160! typo....not re-uploading the file for this

Last edited:
Great work guys. Any idea will they correct this in the future Staxrip release?

Here is a quick video I put together in 2 hrs edited and uploaded to help out anyone who wants to save hhd space for their collection and retain hdr. hehe :)
Just FYI: CloneBD is coming up with a couple of fixes regarding just that.
There should be no requirement for a video explaining it then ;)

I'm looking forward to it.
Videoquality of Staxrip is very good (crf 17 - preset fast), but very slow. CloneBD has also very good videoquality besides it's fast with hardware accelleration enabled. Little bit sad that there is no "crf" for .mkv output. Always some gambling for good quality/size ratio.

I'm looking forward to it.
Videoquality of Staxrip is very good (crf 17 - preset fast), but very slow. CloneBD has also very good videoquality besides it's fast with hardware accelleration enabled. Little bit sad that there is no "crf" for .mkv output. Always some gambling for good quality/size ratio.
You can choose crf instead of 2 pass bitrate. Yes is painfully slow but that's price you pay to encode 50 gigs to 16 gig. I'm using medium settings 13000 video bit rate for blade runner and it will take 22hrs to encode and take it down to 19gig. This is on ryzen 5. One my 10 year old x4 965 and it takes 30-40 hrs at these settings. I run 2 pcs encoding 24-7 to speed this up while at work. Hoping my new Intel i7 coffee lake gets at least 4-5 fps and takes is down to 12-22hrs. I've played with gpu acceleration and your will get larger file sizes. No way around this. Wish x265 could take advantage of the open cl or Cuda cores like the way graphics cards can be used for bit mining. Not even sure if thread ripper with all those threads would help that much h265 encodes. I love the amount of pci lanes on the thread ripper platform when using m.2 unlike z370 you loose sata port with m.2 installed. Anyway off topic.... for simple encoding clonebd should be easier to encode.

You can choose crf instead of 2 pass bitrate. Yes is painfully slow but that's price you pay to encode 50 gigs to 16 gig. I'm using medium settings 13000 video bit rate for blade runner and it will take 22hrs to encode and take it down to 19gig. This is on ryzen 5. One my 10 year old x4 965 and it takes 30-40 hrs at these settings. I run 2 pcs encoding 24-7 to speed this up while at work. Hoping my new Intel i7 coffee lake gets at least 4-5 fps and takes is down to 12-22hrs. I've played with gpu acceleration and your will get larger file sizes. No way around this. Wish x265 could take advantage of the open cl or Cuda cores like the way graphics cards can be used for bit mining. Not even sure if thread ripper with all those threads would help that much h265 encodes. I love the amount of pci lanes on the thread ripper platform when using m.2 unlike z370 you loose sata port with m.2 installed. Anyway off topic.... for simple encoding clonebd should be easier to encode.

I did some testing. Look at page 3.

E.T. movie, encoding with CloneBD 1.1.9.1. Results looking very nice.
Encoding time was 36 minutes, CUDA and Highest quality, versus 374 minutes with Staxrip, preset fast and CRF18...
I wonder if CloneBD, in the (near) future, will be able to set up "CRF" for .mkv outputs. Would it be possible, Pete?

Mediainfo:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 54 min
Bit rate : 19.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.097
Stream size : 15.5 GiB (91%)
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.8.3 (4.8.3.0)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 148 cd/m2

Audio #1

StaXrip 1.7.0.6 now imports Max CLL and Max FALL. I have tested this and it works.

1.7.0.6 unstable test build

• new: macro for the source file extension added (%source_ext%)

• fix: target image size calculation was using mod 16 instead of the value defined in the options (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1832611#post1832611)

• fix: x265 command line import and meta data import of --max-cll didn't work

• update: mClean 2.3

• update: mvtools2 2.7.24

• update: VapourSynth 43

Answer from sneaker_ger at at doom9.

AVS Filters -> Edit Code

But I see now it converts to 8 bit by default.
Edit from:
Code:
FFVideoSource("%source_file%", colorspace = "YUV420P8", \
cachefile = "%source_temp_file%.ffindex")
to;
Code:
FFVideoSource("%source_file%", cachefile = "%source_temp_file%.ffindex")
and try again.

Note that this may break certain filters.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172068&page=142

Also it appears that this breaks my ability to hardcode subtitles.

StaXrip 1.7.0.6 now imports Max CLL and Max FALL. I have tested this and it works.

1.7.0.6 unstable test build

• new: macro for the source file extension added (%source_ext%)

• fix: target image size calculation was using mod 16 instead of the value defined in the options (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1832611#post1832611)

• fix: x265 command line import and meta data import of --max-cll didn't work

• update: mClean 2.3

• update: mvtools2 2.7.24

• update: VapourSynth 43

Also it appears that this breaks my ability to hardcode subtitles.

Straxrip 1.4 will work but you have to manually enter hdr meta data .

Good news those 2 (maxCLL and maxFALL) now imports too 'cause sometimes I forgot to set those manually since all other settings in VUI section imported automatically.
Thanks for that info CCaptain00. I'll test it soon too.

I'm having a problem with SMDegrain filter in Staxrip so maybe someone can help me.
When I use "contrasharp=true" option I'm getting this error in Staxrip: there is no function named 'medianblur', errors in SMDegrain.avsi (lines 593,548)
And when I use "lsb=true" option I'm getting this error: there is no function named 'Dither_lut8', errors in SMDegrain.avsi (lines 679,225).

If I have to install something, or add it to Staxrip or Avisynth please explain how.

Edit: I'm testing new version of Staxrip and first problem (with contrasharp option) is solved but I'm still getting the second error (when I set lsb=true option).
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I figured out how to hardcode subtitles on the newest version of StaXrip (1.7.0.6). I had some help from sneaker_ger on the doom9 forum. He recommended since "StaxRip supports VapourSynth you might want to try that. Should be easier than AviSynth since it supported 10 bit from the beginning." I had to install Python-3.6.4 (64 bit) and then VapourSynth-R43 (64bit). I then set the paths in Staxrip under > Apps > Manage. I set the paths for VapourSynth and vspipe under Apps and Python under Runtime. Then right click in the filter box > Filter setup > VapourSynth. At some point a had to install a C++ library and reboot. I set the source filter to ffms2. You do not need to change the source code to get a 10 bit video pipe.

Issues this fixed for me:

1) StaXrip 1.7.0.6 imports MAX CLL and MAX FALL
2) 10 bit video pipe by default (at least using ffms2 as a source filter)
3) Hardcoded subtitles now work
*Bonus* I can hardcode SUP subtitles without converting to IDX :D

Screen.png Screen 2.png Screen 3.png

Last edited:
1.7 keeps crash on 2nd pass of 2 pass bitrate. I'm in USA connecting remotely to run these 13h tests. Once I find sweet spot I'll lock in my encodes. Mkvtoolnix can do forced subs no need to burn them in. Last test 2pass bitrate switched to bitrate quality and encode super fast at 13000 video bitrate. Small 45 sec files look wonderful.

1) StaXrip 1.1.0.6 imports MAX CLL and MAX FALL
*Bonus* I can hardcode SUP subtitleswithout converting to IDX :D

You mean 1.7.0.6?? I'll try this as I'm sick of avsynth filter

I stream my videos over DLNA. Not all renderers support external subs. Some don't read the forced flag or let you select a subtitle track. That is why I burn in the foreign or forced subtitle tracks. The movie I was testing on had 2 lines of foreign audio so I used MKVtoolnix to create a 2 minute MKV of that part.

I switched to single pass CRF encoding years ago and haven't touched 2-pass CBR since. As long as they look good and generally fit into my size range I'm happy. Most of my UHD encodes are 8 - 20 GB using CRF 20 medium. 4 - 8 FPS. Id rather not waste the bitrate where I don't need it.

Have you tried using your 2 pass workflow on a short clip < 2 min. to see if it completes?

1) StaXrip 1.1.0.6 imports MAX CLL and MAX FALL
*Bonus* I can hardcode SUP subtitleswithout converting to IDX :D

You mean 1.7.0.6?? I'll try this as I'm sick of avsynth filter

Yes 1.7.0.6. 1.7.0.5 had an issue with resizing.

I stream my videos over DLNA. Not all renderers support external subs. Some don't read the forced flag or let you select a subtitle track. That is why I burn in the foreign or forced subtitle tracks. The movie I was testing on had 2 lines of foreign audio so I used MKVtoolnix to create a 2 minute MKV of that part.

I switched to single pass CRF encoding years ago and haven't touched 2-pass CBR since. As long as they look good and generally fit into my size range I'm happy. Most of my UHD encodes are 8 - 20 GB using CRF 20 medium. 4 - 8 FPS. Id rather not waste the bitrate where I don't need it.

Have you tried using your 2 pass workflow on a short clip < 2 min. to see if it completes?
Yes works perfectly but on full movie crashes 1/4 into 2nd pass. I tried crf 16 and bitrate was too low. I thought lowering crf gives you a better encode? I want 13000 video rate as this will cover slow action and hi action scenes and give me a set output.

How I get this number is by Google video rates for 2560x1440p. 8-13 Mbit stream. I've seen 13mbit stream and I cannot see artifacts or detail loss so this is accepted rate taking 50gig UHD movie down to 16gig w untouched atmos. Blade runner would be 19gig at this locked in rate

Back