• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Player Software for HD DVD movies? NOT CYBERLINK!

psgolfer

I'm having lots of problems with cyberlink 7.3 and running HD DVD movies. Blu Ray works fine, but I have no picture just audio for HD DVD movies.

Are there any other recommended software player packages for HD DVD movies, I've had it with trying to get power dvd to work for this format.

Thanks

Mine plays the video and audio for HD dvd that I have ripped to my hard drive and through xbox 360 hd dvd add on usb'd to my computer. But it's very choppy and stutters then errors out. I only have 1GB of RAM, 2GB more are in the mail and I am hoping this fixes this. Anyone else have choppiness then get kicked off?

What Blu-rays, what HD-DVD's, what are the specs of the PC you're using? Blu-ray discs can be mpeg2, vc-1 or h264, whereas HD-DVD's tend to be vc-1, you may be finding that your system is playing the mpeg2 Blu-rays and that you don't have any others that need a better spec. The only other software I know of that plays HD-DVD's with menu's etc is Nero showtime (you may need the extra Blu-ray/HD-DVD plugin to make it work). Ram is not normally a big issue when coming to play back, but more so the CPU and GPU that you use

I'm having lots of problems with cyberlink 7.3 and running HD DVD movies. Blu Ray works fine, but I have no picture just audio for HD DVD movies.

Are there any other recommended software player packages for HD DVD movies, I've had it with trying to get power dvd to work for this format.

Thanks
IMHO PowerDVD is - despite of its problems - the only usable software to watch HD DVDs at the moment. Nero Showtime suffers from far more problems and you can be lucky if you get WinDVD to work at all.

What Blu-rays, what HD-DVD's, what are the specs of the PC you're using? Blu-ray discs can be mpeg2, vc-1 or h264, whereas HD-DVD's tend to be vc-1, you may be finding that your system is playing the mpeg2 Blu-rays and that you don't have any others that need a better spec. The only other software I know of that plays HD-DVD's with menu's etc is Nero showtime (you may need the extra Blu-ray/HD-DVD plugin to make it work). Ram is not normally a big issue when coming to play back, but more so the CPU and GPU that you use

Here are the specs on my cpu:

AMD 64X2 4600
Sony Blu Ray BWU-100A
Toshiba HD DVD SD-802A
ATI Radeon X1600 256MB
2 GB RAM
ANY DVD HD

The blu rays I have all seem to play ok, the only HD DVD that I have bought so far is Batman Returns and the just displays a black screen with Audio.

One thing I just noticed this morning is that my version of 7.3 shows all the icons on the main screen but in the scroll window it says "Power DVD Deluxe".

I have paid for the Ultra Version, does this scroll window show on anyone else's version?

Arcsoft just release there own software. $90. both BR and HDDVD

It was just released so i would suspect you could download it within the next month.

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/digitaltheatre/

On a side note Nero 8 will also be releasing October 1st.
But you'll still need to pay for an extra plug-in to get the Blu-ray playback function. Just hope this doesn't spark another round of people who've not read the website properly, and buy it only to find they can't play back their films with out the plugin
Also, did you notice that their press release is dated 1st September and I'm sure that it's still the 31st August in Germany right now

Last edited:
Arcsoft just release there own software. $90. both BR and HDDVD

Ill be interested in how this bit works inside media center

Windows Media Center Edition Plug-in

The program comes with a Windows Media Center Edition plug-in built right in! The plug-in provides a "10 foot" user experience: big buttons and compatibility with your remote control mean you can use Digital Theatre to watch your HD DVD and Blu-ray movies from the comfort of your couch.

It was just released so i would suspect you could download it within the next month.

Hmmm... if I can't download or buy it, then it hasn't been released yet, right?
But it is good to know that there will be an additional playback software available. Hopefully it isn't just a rebadged PowerDVD or WinDVD.

Hmmm... if I can't download or buy it, then it hasn't been released yet, right?
But it is good to know that there will be an additional playback software available. Hopefully it isn't just a rebadged PowerDVD or WinDVD.

I agree, emailed the support department asking for a release date and if trial version would be available.

still capture

Do either PowerDVD Ultra or Digital theatre allow still image capture with blu-ray? What sort of capture does Digital theatre do with DVD: I've used PowerDVD because the still capture was much better than WinDVD in allowing capture to file at actual image size.

Thanks

Do either PowerDVD Ultra or Digital theatre allow still image capture with blu-ray? What sort of capture does Digital theatre do with DVD: I've used PowerDVD because the still capture was much better than WinDVD in allowing capture to file at actual image size.

Thanks

To my knowledge nobody has seen a working version of Digital Theatre.

Installed Arcsoft Digital Theatre Trial now and I am very excited to buy this when it is available in English. I tested some of my "trouble discs" when using PowerDVD.

Spider-Man 3 works like a charm, but I noticed that with Dolby TrueHD selected there is no subwoofer activity unlike PCM 5.1.

Pacte des Loups is still an issue here.
Choose Digital Theatre navigation tool: You cannot select any language in the Studio Canal language selection screen. You can jump directly into the movie but there a are no english subs altough you can select them in the context menu.

Normal navigation: The disc continues but the language selection screen permanently stays on top of the screen until you get to the main menu. Main menu is empty, you can select nothing. When you jump into the movie, the player locks up. :(

And oh yes, AnyDVD works too!

Back