• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ISO files no longer work in Dune HD-TV303D

AshySlashy

The current release (8.1.2.0) and beta (8.1.2.4) produce BD ISO files that my Dune HD-TV303D player cannot playback. It does show the track list, but as far as I tested none of the tracks work. It will show its black screen with a clock for several seconds, then it exits back into the file browser.

It's running the latest firmware, which IIRC came out some weeks ago. BD ISO files ripped with an older AnyDVD version work fine. That means something has changed in AnyDVD that breaks compatibility with the Dune player. DVD ISO files are not affected.

I'd be happy to help debug this. If I had access to historical versions I could find the release in which this first broke. I could also create a new rip of a disc for which I have an old (working) file and try to diff them, though I'm not sure which diff program would be smart enough to process large files and do realigning of large sections (which I guess is needed, but maybe it's simpler than I think).

Thoughts?

-Jörg

why not rip a bluray you ripped in the past that works with the 8.1.2.0?

Like I said, I'm not sure what to do then. Which diff can compare them, and what would I do if I found a suitably small set of diffs?

-Jörg

example: Imagine you have die hard, you ripped die hard 5 years ago, it still works. You rip it again using latest version into a new iso and try it. If it works, then its seems its not exactly the issue you think. If it doesn't work, then we have what to talk about.

I'd guess that its more likely new discs that don't play nice with the dune. For example, I know that on new bd+ titles my dune smart can't play them as is, but we've actually diagnosed the issue and its a bug in Dune's bluray engine. AnyDVD can perhaps patch the disc to work around it in the future, but right now its a problem. It's a bug in Dune not in AnyDVD.

In practice, it be useful to know what titles you have been having issues with recently.

I'm guessing (maybe wrong) that you are just using bd-lite and that the tv303d doesn't support java menus? but perhaps I'm wrong, if I'm right, this does sort of discount what I wrote above, as it should be pretty basic playback of an mpls).

Last edited:
I had (probably) the same problem when i update my Dune H1 with the latest firmware (Version "170519_1353_r11") available on their website. I've downgrade the Dune back to the previous firmware (Version 150721_0135_b9).
My H1 gave an error, something like "update application dune extension application is required to continue”.
I contacted Dune. They told me to connect the Dune H1 to the Internet and let him install that apllication. However, I can not connect my H1 to the internet and so I restored the older firmware.

Last edited:
that's a different issue. I'm running the latest firmware without a problem, I don't see any changes though in regards to bluray playback in it. (my guess is that they have no ability to change the BR playback, as its just a binary provided to them).

Switching the firmware unfortunately doesn't help. I tried both versions that you mention, and they both behave the same.

@thetoad: It's not a problem with newer discs in general. I ripped an old disc (MIB 1) and it also fails. I have an old rip of that disc and it works. The file size is identical. Using Total Commander I split the first 1000MB into 10 files of 100MB each so the TC diff could compare them. There are 270 differences (each just a handful of bytes) in the first 3.5MB of the first file, the rest is identical.

I assume the beginning of the ISO file is the file system and other metadata. So this seems to be the cause of the problem. I'll run a split of both ISO files overnight and see if there are other differences.

So we know for sure that this particular problem is caused by a change in AnyDVD. The question is now what that change is, and if it can/should be fixed/reverted.

I've ripped 10-20 discs in the past week or 2 with 8.1.2.0 and haven't had any new issue.

Men in Black is a WB film right? I've had issues with many versions of anydvd when ripped to ISO with WB BRs on my dune, but as a direct file system folder structure, I've had no issues. Primary reason I only rip to folder now (also makes it easier to hack around after the fact)

So, out of ~350 files of 100MB each, three more differ in addition to the first (which I described above). So maybe it's not as easy a fix as I first thought.

I also own MakeMKV, but I prefer ripping to ISO files for simplicity (and also because I might in the future get a player that can actually play the menus etc.).

Is there any chance this can be fixed/changed?

ah, ok, just wanted to confirm, you aren't playing menu (and directory structure doesn't preclude menu playback). Then you can forget what I said about file structure. That shocks me that picking a playlist doesn't work, haven't run into it.

My only possible guess otherwise if its not really an anydvd bug is that you have a hardware issue (memory?) that is causing corruption.

Is there some way to download older versions of AnyDVD? Say, 3 months old, I think at that time it was still working.

The current release (8.1.2.0) and beta (8.1.2.4) produce BD ISO files that my Dune HD-TV303D player cannot playback. It does show the track list, but as far as I tested none of the tracks work. It will show its black screen with a clock for several seconds, then it exits back into the file browser.

It's running the latest firmware, which IIRC came out some weeks ago. BD ISO files ripped with an older AnyDVD version work fine. That means something has changed in AnyDVD that breaks compatibility with the Dune player. DVD ISO files are not affected.

I'd be happy to help debug this. If I had access to historical versions I could find the release in which this first broke. I could also create a new rip of a disc for which I have an old (working) file and try to diff them, though I'm not sure which diff program would be smart enough to process large files and do realigning of large sections (which I guess is needed, but maybe it's simpler than I think).

Thoughts?

-Jörg
Please post an AnyDVD logfile. Did you use different settings? Try with default.

Thats all I use is .iso and its worked fine with the latest version.

I reset the settings to defaults, but the problem persists. Log file is attached. Someone mentioned that Warner movies may cause problems, so I picked a Fox movie.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.1.4_Info_X_ALIEN_RESURRECTION_WW.ziplog
    815.1 KB · Views: 3
the Warner movies issue I mentioned is a bluray menu issue, its not a pick a playlist and play issue. With that said, I would still try to eliminate the UDF file system as a culprit.

I reset the settings to defaults, but the problem persists. Log file is attached. Someone mentioned that Warner movies may cause problems, so I picked a Fox movie.
A BD+ disc. The jump to 65535 could be a problem for the Dune.

@James, I dont think that's his problem as he's not using menus, just playlist based playback (unless I misinterpreted him)

A BD+ disc. The jump to 65535 could be a problem for the Dune.
Just tried to play alien resurrection (your version) from a network share with a Dune Solo lite, no problem. Will try iso later...

Just tried to play alien resurrection (your version) from a network share with a Dune Solo lite, no problem. Will try iso later...
iso playback (full menus & lite) works fine with the Dune HD Solo lite....

Back