• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WARNING UPDATING WINDOWS 10 to LATEST UPDATE

It is possible to disable the fix without uninstalling the patch:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in

REM disable the fix *
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Restart

Well a few of those articles did say, (and i think the last link did specifically) that the place where the 30% drop would be the most likely (if happening at all) would be in theoretical scenarios (like Deep Learning, or Quantum Computing). Thats nothing the average user will do, and as such, such a performance loss shouldn't be happening/visible to the average user.

Pre-patch samsung magician results on my 850 EVO

Sequential
Read 550 / Write 522

Random (IOPS)
Read 95837 / Write 86596

Post patch:

Test 1: 543/117/84035/20422
Test 2: 546/135/77215/30640

seq read is pretty consistant, the rest is all over the place. I can't believe an SSD will have that much of a loss. From 86k to 20-30k
I'll have to contact samsung
With the same drive(250 GB) my results are a bit different.

Total Byte Written
12.3 TB

Sequential
Read/Write - 546/355

Random
Read/Write - 85,998/75,889

I don't have a pre-update reading but your low write numbers seem really off, possibly indicating something other than the patch being the problem? Yes, it's a before and after, but maybe something else changed?

From this link, it looks like the Write function is where the big hit is at.

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_850_evo_ssd_review

New Drive:
Performance
  • Sequential Read: Max. 540 MB/s
  • Sequential Write: Max. 520 MB/s
  • 4KB Random Read (QD1): Max. 10,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Write(QD1): Max. 40,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Read (QD32):
    • Max. 98,000 IOPS (500GB/1TB)
    • Max. 97,000 IOPS (250GB)
    • Max. 94,000 IOPS (120GB)
  • 4KB Random Write(QD32):
    • Max. 90,000 IOPS (500GB/1TB)
    • Max. 88,000 IOPS (120GB/250GB)

I wonder why my Write numbers are so much higher than yours. My drive is a boot drive and it's about 65/70% full. I wish I had some pre-update readings but didn't think to do any readings.

Setting all the drive readings aside, I haven't noticed any sort of performance hit since the update was installed so the whole issue is a bit of a 'nothing-burger' for me anyway.

This article says much of what the Softpedia article says plus an additional tidbit as to why the problem is occurring.

Betanews: Microsoft pausing the rollout of Spectre and Meltdown patches to AMD systems

Following reports that its Spectre and Meltdown fixes were leaving some AMD systems unbootable, Microsoft has stopped the patches from rolling out to certain devices.

The company is blaming AMD's failure to comply with "the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown."

[...]

This article says much of what the Softpedia article says plus an additional tidbit as to why the problem is occurring.

Betanews: Microsoft pausing the rollout of Spectre and Meltdown patches to AMD systems
I am running the AMD 1800x with the patch they released on Jan 4th I hadn't noticed any problems until today it rendered my Asus AI suite useless I uninstalled the update now it works again and I set the windows 10 not to install any updates for the next 30 days Freggin MS what a BS fix.

I am running the AMD 1800x with the patch they released on Jan 4th I hadn't noticed any problems until today it rendered my Asus AI suite useless I uninstalled the update now it works again and I set the windows 10 not to install any updates for the next 30 days Freggin MS what a BS fix.
ASUS released an AI Suite update that was supposed to address the breakage post-Microsoft update. I posted the link earlier in this thread.

The AMD problems post-MS update pertain to older AMD processors.

Edit: Actually, the link to the ASUS AI Suite update (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-Beta-Version-3-00-10-user-test-report-thread) is in the thread I posted about the MS Meltdown update

Last edited:
ASUS released an AI Suite update that was supposed to address the breakage post-Microsoft update. I posted the link earlier in this thread.

The AMD problems post-MS update pertain to older AMD processors.
well mine isn't an older one it is the new Ryzen series but I do have another FX series build I will check it out thanks for the info.

well mine isn't an older one it is the new Ryzen series but I do have another FX series build I will check it out thanks for the info.

The Verge: Microsoft halts AMD Meltdown and Spectre patches after reports of unbootable PCs

[...]

AMD confirmed the issues in a statement to The Verge. “AMD is aware of an issue with some older generation processors following installation of a Microsoft security update that was published over the weekend,” says an AMD spokesperson. “AMD and Microsoft have been working on an update to resolve the issue and expect it to begin rolling out again for those impacted shortly.”

[...]

Well i did another 2 benchmarks after freeing up some space.

Test 1: 548/519/72788/57339

Then another one after approximately the same amount of space was occupied again

Test 2: 548/465/84848/57677

Some performance loss in IOPS but not as drastic anymore. And thats even without updating to the latest Z170 bios 3703

Nice, I'm running a Z170-A myself and haven't even thought about updating the BIOS since I built the box a year or so ago. It still runs fine so I figured I'd just leave it alone. I think I'm on 19xx.

Nice, I'm running a Z170-A myself and haven't even thought about updating the BIOS since I built the box a year or so ago. It still runs fine so I figured I'd just leave it alone. I think I'm on 19xx.
Same reasoning as me, think mine's even on the bios prior to 1907. 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But this is an exception.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Same reasoning as me, think mine's even on the bios prior to 1907. 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But this is an exception.

I just checked and I'm on 1902, which I'm pretty sure it shipped with. When you say 'exception', do you mean you did update it to 3703, because of the patches? I thought those patches came down with an MS update?

I just checked and I'm on 1902, which I'm pretty sure it shipped with. When you say 'exception', do you mean you did update it to 3703, because of the patches? I thought those patches came down with an MS update?
Not yet, but I will. The kb can only patch so much. For most effective patching a bios update is required

I missed that and since I'm running a 6700K I should probably update it. Updating the BIOS makes me nervous though. I have done it on other machines and it's never failed, still, that old saying "if it ain't broke..."

I have gone through the list at the Asus site and updating everything else that applied to my board, just never did the BIOS. I guess the time is now. :)

I missed that and since I'm running a 6700K I should probably update it. Updating the BIOS makes me nervous though. I have done it on other machines and it's never failed, still, that old saying "if it ain't broke..."

I have gone through the list at the Asus site and updating everything else that applied to my board, just never did the BIOS. I guess the time is now. :)

I've never been a fan of updating the BIOS. With my older system it was a major headache because it required me to go back and re-tweak quiet a few settings to get things running properly. With the current Z170 board it's only a few changes and I'm back up and running. Nice to be able to update directly from the internet, as well, if I so wish.

I'm running a 6700K, as well, in a ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme. I didn't notice any issues with hyper-threading before the 3504 BIOS but decided I'd rather just be on the safe side. I haven't run into any issues since then. That said, I'm not in a hurry to install the latest update. I'm going to let any issues with it shake out before I rush into anything.

Seems like a wise way to go, one that I'll probably follow myself.

ditto. I havent been running the latest bios and it can't hurt to wait a little longer, for all we know they'll push a new one in a couple days / weeks to address that AMT bug.

Back