• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WARNING UPDATING WINDOWS 10 to LATEST UPDATE

None that I can. Used AnyDVD and CloneBD just fine a few hours ago but that's no surprise. Neither of them even interact with the windows kernel, I'm pretty sure off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Great - I have a few glitches since the Windows patch (Bios is fixed since december)

2 bluescreens & Office / Firefox crashes ...

Here is another tip to stop updates after clean install.

Type cmd in search and Run as administrator then type as follows;

net stop wuauserv
rmdir %windir%\softwaredistribution /s /q
net start wuauserv
exit

Welcome to huge reductions in 4k transfer speeds on ssd and m.2! What the feck is Microsoft thinking.......

Last edited by a moderator:
17 percent sata dip in performance. Geeze

4k capture data write hits are bad too. Geeze

17 percent sata dip in performance. Geeze

4k capture data write hits are bad too. Geeze
I just tested my m.2 Samsung 960 Pro and its about the same as it was before the patch, maybe a bit slower but nothing that I could notice without a benchmark

Well a few of those articles did say, (and i think the last link did specifically) that the place where the 30% drop would be the most likely (if happening at all) would be in theoretical scenarios (like Deep Learning, or Quantum Computing). Thats nothing the average user will do, and as such, such a performance loss shouldn't be happening/visible to the average user.

Pre-patch samsung magician results on my 850 EVO

Sequential
Read 550 / Write 522

Random (IOPS)
Read 95837 / Write 86596

Post patch:

Test 1: 543/117/84035/20422
Test 2: 546/135/77215/30640

seq read is pretty consistant, the rest is all over the place. I can't believe an SSD will have that much of a loss. From 86k to 20-30k
I'll have to contact samsung

I am sure MS will fix everything , if its even bad enough to be fixed. More patches are most probably on the way.

I didn't do any pre-Microsoft update tests. I have two Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB drives in my system. One is the boot drive and, obviously, the other is not.

Drive C (boot drive)

Code:
Sequential (MB/s) Read/Write:

542 / 512

Random (IOPS) Read/Write:

86,838 / 76,892

Drive P

Code:
Sequential (MB/s) Read/Write:

551 / 523

Random (IOPS) Read/Write:

93,854 / 77,524

Last edited:
Supposedly they are trying to stop the searching ahead along possible paths of logic to save time. This was added into chips to save time, theoretically to find solutions of potential paths while working on another branch of a problem. Possible solutions were saved in cache, which is where the Meltdown and Spectre problems arose. Shutting down the cache saves is probably where the slow down occurs, but would cause greater effects depending on the programs being run, age of pcs etc. So results could vary signifigantly.

Well a few of those articles did say, (and i think the last link did specifically) that the place where the 30% drop would be the most likely (if happening at all) would be in theoretical scenarios (like Deep Learning, or Quantum Computing). Thats nothing the average user will do, and as such, such a performance loss shouldn't be happening/visible to the average user.

Pre-patch samsung magician results on my 850 EVO

Sequential
Read 550 / Write 522

Random (IOPS)
Read 95837 / Write 86596

Post patch:

Test 1: 543/117/84035/20422
Test 2: 546/135/77215/30640

seq read is pretty consistant, the rest is all over the place. I can't believe an SSD will have that much of a loss. From 86k to 20-30k
I'll have to contact samsung

Given the similarities in our systems, Ch3vr0n, your results are odd. You took a massive hit to performance that I didn't. That said, when was the last time you updated your BIOS? I can't remember if you said that you had or not. I'm running the last official BIOS release from ASUS dated August 2017 that contained the hyperthreading microcode fixes.

as i previously stated, i don't update bios unless i have too. When a system is stable i don't see the need. I'll await the next update from ASUS post-meltdown and flash that one, then do a new benchmark

as i previously stated, i don't update bios unless i have too. When a system is stable i don't see the need.

I thought this was the case but I was just checking.

I'll await the next update from ASUS post-meltdown and flash that one, then do a new benchmark

Fair enough.

Just for curiosity's sake it would be interesting to see the results from someone running the same motherboard with an update-to-date BIOS and the MS update just for the heck of it. Someone else here or over at Myce must be running a similar setup.

Back