• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVDFAB PLAYER 5 vs. powerDVD 17

Lukas

what is better in combination with ANYDVD for UHD playback? THANK YOU

blank what version of ultra or standard or another? THANK YOU

blank what version of ultra or standard or another? THANK YOU
Uhd didn't exist in PowerDVD 14, and for Blu-ray (and uhd) you need ultra. No other choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Have both the PowerDVD 17 Ultra and the latest DVDFab Player 5 Ultra. Here is what I can tell, in regards to UHD Playback (might not suitable for other features, though):
1. Specs wise, it looks like PowerDVD's requirements on both hardware and software are way more sophisticated than the Fab Player, I guess one, if not tech sensitive enough, can feel very hard to figure out how to get the UHD playback feature to work flawlessly; the Fab Player, on the contrary, only requires a GPU that is capable of H.265 decoding;
2. By UHD, if you meant to include the 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays, then I think the PowerDVD has one legitimate advantage, which is, it does not require a 3rd party decryption software to play back the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs; however, with the Fab Player, I can only play back the already decrypted 4K Ultra HD contents, meaning, you will have to rely on a 3rd party decryption tool;
3. All that said, from the pure perspective of playback quality itself, I don't think there is any difference between the two;

So, my advice is, if you are a tech savvy and don't bother to dive deep into all those jargon and terminologies, then head for the PowerDVD, after all, it's the only legal solution authorized by the BDA. If you are a simple guy who wants everything to be as simple as the way it is, then the Fab Player is probably the better shot for you. But bear in mind, it does not play back the protected 4K UHD discs, like mentioned earlier, you will need a decryption tool first.

Edit: Does AnyDVD now support to decrypt 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs? I thought the only one available, at least for now, is DeUHD, the Russian vendor? :dance:

Last edited:
Edit: Does AnyDVD now support to decrypt 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs? I thought the only one available, at least for now, is DeUHD, the Russian vendor? :dance:

Only via the leaked keys like others can. No more.

Only via the leaked keys like others can. No more.

Thanks for filling me in, Ch3vr0n! That's also what I thought, cuz my Fabplayer 5 also plays those 4K UHD discs via leaked keys...

One more thing, it seems that PDVD does not support the Dolby Atmos? My Fabplayer 5 seems has no issue at this, another gaining point, huh?!!! :sneaky:

James_the_striker I think there is a very interesting duel competition between two competitors I'm quite technically capable I would like to buy UHD BD plus to make the equipment so I would like to play fully from the created backups I never play from the originals I would be delighted if the DOLBY ATMOS and all these technical convenience in one solution

Uhd didn't exist in PowerDVD 14, and for Blu-ray (and uhd) you need ultra. No other choice.
Well, a PowerDVD 14 UHD version does exist. It is even mentioned in the AnyDVD changelog. ;)
But you're right, the retail version doesn't play UHD Blu-ray.

Last edited:
it seems that PDVD does not support the Dolby Atmos?
No need to be unfair, only because you want to sell Fab Media player.
PDVD supports Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and whatnot. Yes, even my trusty all-time favorite PowerDVD 10 does.

James_the_striker I think there is a very interesting duel competition between two competitors I'm quite technically capable I would like to buy UHD BD plus to make the equipment so I would like to play fully from the created backups I never play from the originals I would be delighted if the DOLBY ATMOS and all these technical convenience in one solution
If you want to take my advice - UHD / HDR playback is a major PITA on PCs. It really is a hit and miss. Trust me, it is more miss than hit. If you don't want to get crazy, buy a decent media player. Like the Nvidia Shield (the all singing, all dancing "i do it all" player) with the additional benefit for a "real" Android TV, if you are into "real" streaming apps in UHD/HDR (Netflix, Amazon Prime). Kodi 17.6 works very well on the Shield and supports BT2020 & HDR10. Only annoyance: No 3D support. (But the same is true for Kaby Lake Intel boxes like the Intel NUC).
If you want to play your own rips, an OSMC Vero 4K will do. Sam is working on Full 3D support for the Vero 4K, and I believe he'll get it done soon.

Last edited:
James THANK YOU I know it's mentioned in chanelog but can not find POWERDVD 14 UHD where it is? THANK YOU

James THANK YOU I know it's mentioned in chanelog but can not find POWERDVD 14 UHD where it is? THANK YOU
That's because it doesn't exist. As I said. Uhd didn't exist back then either. The only version that supports uhd is PowerDVD 17.

It is a special version bundled with Pioneer UHD Blu-ray drives in Japan.

James ah, I understand thanks for the explanation Ch3vr0n so I guess the POWER DVD17 will be better

James ah, I understand thanks for the explanation Ch3vr0n so I guess the POWER DVD17 will be better
If you really want to go this route... and build a dedicated Kaby lake PC just for UHD playback (no other graphic card allowed! So no gaming!)... Even if you do, you can probably buy 2 Nvidia Shield or 3 OSMC Veros for the money. (Not calculating the UHD drive, which is another 150,- USD... but comes with PowerDVD 14 UHD, if you buy it from amazon.co.jp)
If you rip, you can get an UHD friendly drive for much less, keep the PC you have, watch on the Shield / Vero.

Back