• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

TotalMedia Theatre broken by Windows Update?

Kirben

I noticed TotalMedia Theatre 6 no longer even starts under Windows 7 SP1, after installing the recent meltdown patch from Microsoft. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me?

I really hope PowerDVD isn't the only option left for Blu-ray playback.

I noticed TotalMedia Theatre 6 no longer even starts under Windows 7 SP1, after installing the recent meltdown patch from Microsoft. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me?

Tmt has been broken a lot longer than the meltdown patch for playback. They dropped support and development for it years ago

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Tmt has been broken a lot longer than the meltdown patch for playback. They dropped support and development for it years ago
TMT still worked fine under Windows 7 at least, with the help of AnyDVD for decryption, for every Blu-ray disc I have tried so far.

Then i guess you've been lucky :) IT's a well known issue that it has problems with discs (especially with java menu based ones) where you'd just get a black screen on attempting to play back. Now as to the issue itself, if the meltdown patch is causing this (doubt it, but i guess possible) the chances of getting a fix from TMT are non-existant. TMT is no longer under development. PDVD isn't the only option, there's WinDVD too, but it is the best option.

TMT wouldn't even start up standalone, after I installed the meltdown patch on two Windows 7 SP 1 (x64) systems. TMT worked fine again, after uninstalling the meltdown patch though.
I was just hoping someone else could confirm, just to be certain. As I realize this would be the final end for TMT, due to security risks.

Then i guess you've been lucky :) IT's a well known issue that it has problems with discs (especially with java menu based ones) where you'd just get a black screen on attempting to play back.
Still using TMT 5 (and not the latest! Player software has a tendency to get worse with later versions...) on a Windows 7 box without problems.

TMT wouldn't even start up standalone, after I installed the meltdown patch on two Windows 7 SP 1 (x64) systems. TMT worked fine again, after uninstalling the meltdown patch though.
I was just hoping someone else could confirm, just to be certain. As I realize this would be the final end for TMT, due to security risks.
Good to know, but not really surprising. The TMT driver(s) are nasty beasts doing nasty things inside the kernel. That's why they won't work with Windows 10. I won't update my Windows 7 playback only box, I need TMT for my HD DVD discs.

I am a new member that found this thread with Google. I own Red Fox software and use MyMovies and TotalMedia Theatre 6 on a Windows 7 PC. I have hundreds of movies on disk, many are blu-rays that were working fine as of a few days ago. But today I discovered I can no longer play them with MM and cannot even launch TMT6 as a stand alone app. So I am in the same boat as Kirben. Can anyone tell me the name/number of the particular Windows patch that I need to try to remove (if that's possible)?

In reading up on this, it must be the security updates from Microsoft because I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Am I on the right track?

In reading up on this, it must be the security updates from Microsoft because I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Am I on the right track?
Security essentials has nothing to do with it, the most likely candidate if at all, would be the first Spectre/meltdown patch. As said, tmt stopping to work was bound to happen sooner or later. Meltdown just potentially sped things up. Tmt as James said does all sorts of nasty things in the kernel, and that's exactly what needs to be fixed in the meltdown patch.

I found the problem was the important update:
"2018-01-03 Security Monthly quality Roll-up for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894)".
I removed it and TMT6 is working fine again.
Of course, not accepting this important patch is leaving my PC vulnerable. So I'm probably going to have to quickly find some other way of playing my blu-rays. A few years ago I used Power DVD but didn't like it.

"2018-01-03 Security Monthly quality Roll-up for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894)".
Of course, not accepting this important patch is leaving my PC vulnerable. So I'm probably going to have to quickly find some other way of playing my blu-rays. A few years ago I used Power DVD but didn't like it.
That's the meltdown patch that fixes kernel issues, are as stated, tmt does all sorts of nasty things in the kernel. It even caused bsod's I think under win 8. Licensed Blu-ray players (meaning full menu support) there's really only 2 options PDVD and Windvd out of which the first is the better.

As far as I remember TMT made use of Themida. With Themida and SecureEngine there is/was kernel interaction. Just as we've seen that some AVs are not compatible due to how they behave and changes in the WIndows kernel it's likely that Themida as it was implemented back then won't be compatible, either. Obviously, given that TMT is long since abandoned there will be no fix other than keeping at least one system not updated to mitigate the Meltdown issues. It was only a matter of time.

Last edited:
WinDVD pro is still sold. But IMHO it is even worse. IMHO PowerDVD isn't so bad, and you can usually get it for 50,- USD.

This isn't good news, I've been using TMT5 for BDs/HD DVDs & TMT6 for 3D BDs happily for years now.

How is PowerDVD these days, is it ok playing NAS stored ISOs?

This isn't good news, I've been using TMT5 for BDs/HD DVDs & TMT6 for 3D BDs happily for years now.

How is PowerDVD these days, is it ok playing NAS stored ISOs?
Here's what I found, to answer your question:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385873,00.asp

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49442.page

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/what-do-we-think-of-power-dvd-16.71955/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ant-store-stream-blu-ray-iso-suggestions.html

Good luck.

:)

Yes, the Meltdown patch hosed my TMT5 and TMT6 playback on all my Win7 machines. The players have worked fine for 5+ years on 3 different machines until that patch installed. TMT5 hangs indefinitely at the splash screen and TMT6 splash screen loads, then terminates after about 20 seconds. PowerDVD 16 works, but there's no WMC integration, so this kind of sucks....may be time to convert my 1,000+ Blu-ray ISO's to MKV or some other container unfortunately.

I've been using TMT for years, I abandoned PDVD due to it becoming to bloated. I prefer a simple media player without all the library nonsense. I mainly like TMT due to the similarity to standalone players. I burn a lot of BluRays and modify the structure somewhat. If TMT will play them then 99% of the time my standalone will as well. Also TMT Will detect Cinavia so I will know I need to fix that before burning the BluRay

My choice for a backup player with full menu support is DVDFab Media Player.

Last edited:
Yes, the Meltdown patch hosed my TMT5 and TMT6 playback on all my Win7 machines. The players have worked fine for 5+ years on 3 different machines until that patch installed. TMT5 hangs indefinitely at the splash screen and TMT6 splash screen loads, then terminates after about 20 seconds. PowerDVD 16 works, but there's no WMC integration, so this kind of sucks....may be time to convert my 1,000+ Blu-ray ISO's to MKV or some other container unfortunately.
You should use a PowerDVD version from the "TMT 5 time". Like PowerDVD 10, which has WMC integration. Still my favorite PowerDVD version, and with AnyDVD's help it still works fine.

Back