• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

I just manually patched my system too with the 600mb cumulative one. With this kind of a bug, I wasn't going to wait on it being pushed during the week. At least now when something could have gone wrong (due to a possible av incompatibility, but nothing did) I had a whole weekend to fix things.

Though some reports (I think even a M$ one) say a software patch like this may potentially only be able to partially fix things and a bios update could be needed.

I normally don't do many such bios updates when a system is fully stable and up and running, but if one is required I'll probably have to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I just manually patched my system too with the 600mb cumulative one. With this kind of a bug, I wasn't going to wait on it being pushed during the week. At least now when something could have gone wrong (due to a possible av incompatibility, but nothing did) I had a whole weekend to fix things.

Though some reports (I think even a M$ one) say a software patch like this may potentially only be able to partially fix things and a bios update could be needed.

I normally don't do many such bios updates when a system is fully stable and up and running, but if one is required I'll probably have to.

This isn't a full fix, no. A BIOS update is going to be needed for some things. Hopefully ASUS pushes one out with the microcode fixes. I'm still waiting for the IME update for my board which has me rather irritated. They released an update for other Z170 boards but not the M8E.

You might find this of interest: Microsoft releases PowerShell script to check if your PC is vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre

Post cumulative update results on my system:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True
Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: True [not required for security]

Suggested actions

* Install BIOS/firmware update provided by your device OEM that enables hardware support for the branch target injection mitigation.

BTIHardwarePresent : False
BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : False
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : True
KVAShadowRequired : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : True
KVAShadowPcidEnabled : True

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Care to point me to the link for my Z170 M8Formula (RedFox 1 has that one too afaik). When I visit the Asus download page for win 10 x64 I get a whopping 0 downloads for the 'tools and utilities' section

Care to point me to the link for my Z170 M8Formula (RedFox 1 has that one too afaik). When I visit the Asus download page for win 10 x64 I get a whopping 0 downloads for the 'tools and utilities' section

Always check your ASUS motherboard support page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/

Look under BIOS and Chipset. Looks like they've updated both the ME interface install and ME in the BIOS from trying to decipher what's listed. Obviously, install/update at your own discretion and understanding any and all inherent risks. :)

For the M8E there is a beta BIOS update to resolve the ME issue on the hardware side but their download of the ME interface is still an older version. Idiots. I don't do BIOS beta testing so it looks like I'll wait on the IME fix but at least things are progressing. Timing-wise I wonder if anything in the beta BIOS update may also cover these newly released vulnerabilities. I haven't checked the ASUS forums as of yet.

ugh can't run the script. something about "running scripts disabled on this system"

edit. Fixed by setting to "remotesigned".

Result. False, true, false false, true x5. Looks like i'm still partialy vulnerable. Identical results as DLAD

@RedFox 1 already have that one. Doesn't apply to the issue at hand here. That IME was released in november, pre-meltdown & spectre. Unlikely to contain any fixes

can't meltdown attacks be used against Powerdvd to extract all keys of existing UHD discs ?

ugh can't run the script. something about "running scripts disabled on this system"

edit. Fixed by setting to "remotesigned".

Result. False, true, false false, true x5. Looks like i'm still partialy vulnerable. Identical results as DLAD

@RedFox 1 already have that one. Doesn't apply to the issue at hand here. That IME was released in november, pre-meltdown & spectre. Unlikely to contain any fixes
I havent seen any 2018 releases yet.

Maybe I should uninstall until it's more stable, I don't want a bricked system

I'm leaning towards waiting as well. I downloaded the 600 MB patch that DrinkLyeAndDie linked to earlier, but I'm going to wait a few days at least, probably next weekend.

Looks like AMD processors have a bug of their own that is separate from all of this.

Fudzilla: AMD suffers from an "Intel like" bug

On another forum I frequent there was an AMD fanboi who was gloating about how "perfect" AMD processors were and how they would never have a major security problem, blah, blah, blah. I kept telling him he was wrong

After the above news went public he edited a lot of his posts to hide his "mistakes" without admitting he was wrong.

Ooops!

Back