• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Backup in ISO or MKV

ptolomeus3

Hi,
I want to backup my GOT (BR). I own CloneBD, so I could backup in ISo or MKV. Up to now, I went for MKV. Is there any reason to change that, i.e. go for ISO? What are the pro and cons of ISO vs. KKV? Are there any at all?

Thank you.

PS: not sure where to post this though

Hi,
I want to backup my GOT (BR). I own CloneBD, so I could backup in ISo or MKV. Up to now, I went for MKV. Is there any reason to change that, i.e. go for ISO? What are the pro and cons of ISO vs. KKV? Are there any at all?

Since you can do lossless ISO and MKV, i think it depends on playback compatibility. There are a few players that will play the iso, where i believe there are more players that are compatible with MKV from a software standpoint. All depends on how you intend to play it back.

it depends really how you intend to play the movie. Technically, both are just file containers.

Yea, if you're just playing them in something like PowerDVD, then the ISO may make sense. I personally ripped all mine to MKV and added them to J River MC for playback. That allows me to choose by season and by episode any episode I want to watch. With ISO's I'd have to look for which disc it was on and mount it and then play it. So to me MKV is more convenient but it really depends on how you want to consume the content.

Thank you for your replies. I do understand, that the way of playing the disc / content is important. Actually, I do not know yet what and how I will use the backup content yet. Up to a certain time ago, I used to copy some of my content to a backup disc so as not to scratch the originals.
But now, I am thinking to go for a HDD and then playback through a media streaming player (KODI) to my TV. Not sure about that yet though.

don't know if kodi supports ISO, but for UI's such as that i'd go with MKV.

Ok, thanks for your reply. I will stick to MKV then.

I believe, but could be wrong, that Kodi has preliminary BD menu support. I don't know if Kodi itself will mount the ISO for you, but, if you manually mount it with VCD and then open it like a physical disc, Kodi should be a decent player. IMO unless you NEED the menus, there's zero benefit to keeping them as an ISO. That's just my personal opinion.

From my experience, I know that media players deal better with mkv's than iso.

From my perspective if you want a menu control option like the Physical playback option then ISO is the the format to use and if you just want a movie without menus and extras then MKV is the way to go. Also ISO can be burned back to DVD/BD to recreate the original format but MKV you can't do that in reverse. Also ISO takes more storage and MKV is just the movie only option. So if you want menu function then ISO and or just Movie then that will be just MKV.

If you remaster the ISO with main movie and menu it's not that much larger than MKV.

Back