• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is UHD worth the trouble?

thedatman

I'm starting to wonder if I should start buying UHD blu-rays. I have a 7.4.2 surround system and prefer atmos and dtsx. The main thing holding me back is I have a 1080 plasma set and it still looks fantastic. I would likely for some time watch my UHD movies in 1080 on it.

Also backup look a little iffy right now. Can I work with an AMD machine running W7? What drive do I need to read UHD discs?

I could get this reader but is stated in the specs for UHD you need W10 and a Intel machine.
https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CJzv4pH2qNgCFRDGwAodIYYA4Q

Last edited:
No I have a 1080 plasma set. I will get one someday but was under the impression that you could watch a 4k movie with a 4k player outputting at 1080 on a 1080 set.
So I would get no improvement in video but would get the new DTSX and Atmos audio.

I ordered PowerDVD 17 on sale for $39 still not sure what drive I would need.

Please check the Cyberlink Forum and Blu-ray Forum under UHD playback software/hardware for more info.

And, please check out this:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/lg-wh16ns60-ultra-hd-blu-ray-drive.73732/

:)
Thanks for the info. I found a list of drives. If I'm right and I can watch on my 1080 set I will use a stand alone player. I only got pdvd 17 because it was only$39 and my current version is 10. I mostly use my oppo 105d watching backups from hdd.
If I get a compatible drive say one of the LGs any chance I can use my current AMD W7 system to make rips?

If I get a compatible drive say one of the LGs any chance I can use my current AMD W7 system to make rips?

Rips as in folders or ISO yes, As long as like you said have a compatible drive, compatible software and compatible player, And a UHD movie with known keys that behave. Unfortunately that model of Oppo won't work with UHD. Even the newest requires the flags to be altered or no go. For both BR and UHD.

In the end looking at your post and what I said, Now what are you going to do with that rip...Watch it on what. This is where the Madvr guys come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a Sony uhd player and the few uhd movie's I get I will watch off it and if I can back them up will watch them off the Sony from hdd.

I ordered a Sony uhd player and the few uhd movie's I get I will watch off it and if I can back them up will watch them off the Sony from hdd.

I don't buy Sony products, But tell me how are you going to play a UHD copy on that Sony?, Using a HDD thru a USB port on the Sony?. Even if you can do that with a Sony. I can almost bet it won't work with a ISO on the HDD. Now a full folder on the HDD that might be a maybe. And that maybe i'm not to sure of that either. The folder structure may have to have the flags changed or else the folder will sit there and not load anything. This will happen with Blu-ray or UHD and forget DVD all together

In this case, Firmware matters

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to wonder if I should start buying UHD blu-rays.
Depends on who you ask. If you ask me - someone who all the stuff including UHD TVs from Sony & LG OLED, Oppo UHD player, Panasonic UHD players, UHD capable Intel NUC with PowerDVD 17, UHD / HDR capable Nvidia Shields, Denon UHD / Dolby Vision capable Amp - the answer is still NO.
Yes, the resolution is higher. Which you won't notice, if you sit more than 10 feet away from the TV. Yes, the color gamut is wider. Yes, HDR is nice. Sometimes. Sometimes it isn't, as the picture is often darker. I compared BD to UHD versions of the same movie. In direct comparison, yes, the UHD version shows more details. Yes, colors are slightly better. But the BD version looks very good, too. If I don't do a direct comparision, I can't tell the difference between 4K UHD and a good 1080p upscale. IMHO it isn't worth the cost (player, amp, TV, better cables) unless you plan to upgrade anyway for other reasons (DTS:X / Atmos sound). And BDA / HDMI missed the opportunity to update the 3D specs. 1080p60 frame packed wide color gamut would have worked nicely, but no HFR 3D Hobbit or Billy Lynn. No more good 3D TV sets like the 2015/2016 LG OLEDs.
If you ask someone else, you will get a different opinion. Best is to judge for yourself, otherwise you might be disappointed.

I don't buy Sony products, But tell me how are you going to play a UHD copy on that Sony?, Using a HDD thru a USB port on the Sony?. Even if you can do that with a Sony. I can almost bet it won't work with a ISO on the HDD. Now a full folder on the HDD that might be a maybe. And that maybe i'm not to sure of that either. The folder structure may have to have the flags changed or else the folder will sit there and not load anything. This will happen will Blu-ray or UHD and forget DVD all together
I agree, buying a Sony player is ... unwise. "Buy a player from the folks who brought you screenpass, Cinavia and the BD specs, which force encryption on every disc, if the studio wants it or not". Although I am not the "boycott all Sony products" person, a Sony "BD" player is a no-go.
I convert to mkv and play on Nvidia Shield. It supports HDR, BT.2020 and has Netflix and Amazon Prime. And is reasonable priced and completely trouble free. Which means, my wife is happy.

I don't buy Sony products, But tell me how are you going to play a UHD copy on that Sony?, Using a HDD thru a USB port on the Sony?. Even if you can do that with a Sony. I can almost bet it won't work with a ISO on the HDD. Now a full folder on the HDD that might be a maybe. And that maybe i'm not to sure of that either. The folder structure may have to have the flags changed or else the folder will sit there and not load anything. This will happen with Blu-ray or UHD and forget DVD all together

In this case, Firmware matters
Well, good point all. My Sony UBP-X800 ultra shipped today. It was used for $130. I agree with Badnews but didn't realize the issue. I would rather have a new Oppo but don't want to spend a lot. I may refuse or return it. It has a usb input is it know if it will play backups off a hdd?

Last edited:
Well, good point all. My Sony UBP-X800 ultra shipped today. It was used for $130. I agree with Badnews but didn't realize the issue. I would rather have a new Oppo but don't want to spend a lot. I may refuse or return it. It has a usb input is it know if it will play backups off a hdd?

Get the Oppo it even has a HDMI Input, There like 549.00 for the 203, Unless your on a budget don't know what to tell you.

Hello. The Sony UBP-X800 is an excelent option, i have one. I can play original 4k Blu Ray discs with high quality even compared to pricier models, and i also play backup folder copies using USB PEN or external HDD or even SSD (connected via USB). I cannot play a 4k Blu Ray ISO file or folder structure as an original 4K disc, probably there is some sort of technic for that, but honestly i do not know how it works. For 4k backups i play the 4k mts2 full movie file, and it works well, even with subtitles and proper audio if it exists. IMPORTANT: If the Sony model plays ALL your full HD and 4K original discs well, along with connecting your USB PEN and discs with no problem DO NOT update the firmware!
So, i think your "budjet" choice is quite good, and you won't regret it. Enjoy.
Oh, and in my opinion, you will see the diferences between full HD and 4K IF you have a proper 4K screen. It works for me. Best regards.

Hello. The Sony UBP-X800 is an excelent option, i have one. I can play original 4k Blu Ray discs with high quality even compared to pricier models, and i also play backup folder copies using USB PEN or external HDD or even SSD (connected via USB). I cannot play a 4k Blu Ray ISO file or folder structure as an original 4K disc, probably there is some sort of technic for that, but honestly i do not know how it works. For 4k backups i play the 4k mts2 full movie file, and it works well, even with subtitles and proper audio if it exists. IMPORTANT: If the Sony model plays ALL your full HD and 4K original discs well, along with connecting your USB PEN and discs with no problem DO NOT update the firmware!
Oh, and in my opinion, you will see the diferences between full HD and 4K IF you have a proper 4K screen. It works for me. Best regards.
Even my Oppo won't play BD backups that aren't processed down to one file. I use bdrb so maybe there will be something in the future for uhd.

I'm with James on this. Even though I don't have all the fancy high tech stuff he does, I still don't see the need to jump to UHD 4K. As long as I can see the movie and it's not a crap copy, I'm fine with it. I could care less if the colors are brighter and it has a higher resolution. Like James said, you won't notice it if you're 10 feet away.

Even my Oppo won't play BD backups that aren't processed down to one file. I use bdrb so maybe there will be something in the future for uhd.

You older Oppo will play full folder BR backup's. Not just movie only. Your just not feeding it to understand. Ask a mod

If you are after a cheap BD HW player, the XBOX One S is worth a look. I ended up getting couple when struggling to get a fully compliant HTPC built to PowerDVD specs working reliably. Having an option to now backup most of my UHD discs to my Drive Pool and using my fav player is however a much better option! Once you get past a certain # of discs it gets hard to manage physically.

FWIW - I now try to buy UHD BD if that version is available. Not much more than BD and I may as well have the "best" version (mastering differences aside). BD is still "good", but UHD is just "better" esp on my HT 125" Screen with all 4K equipment.

Thanks for the ideas, my Sony ubpx800 was delivered today. I'm pretty happy I got it off ebay used for 130 delivered. A perfect ebay purchase. It can play any 4k originals I pick up and maybe backups later. I have it set for 1080p so will do the job. I also ordered the LG WH16NS60 drive and maybe down the road I'll build up a new computer but for now I can try and make rips of new 4k movies.

Well everything worked well with the Sony except my 4K MKV files, video is good but can't decode DTSX and Atmos. How do you backup 4k to mts2?

Back