• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"The Nativity Story" Problem

Erendira

I ran into a problem while attempting to rip "The Nativity Story". I had started the scan, something distracted me, I forgot that I had put the DVD in the drive and reopened it. About the same instant, a window popped up saying that there was a problem with reading the disk and that a AnyDVD logfile had been created and instructions of what to do. Feeling certain that this was only because I had reopened the drive at precisely the wrong moment, I ignored the message. I copied a couple of other DVDs then came back to "The Nativity Story" . I used AnyDVD's "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool, which completed with no errors but unbelievably quick. In Handbrake, only one video showed which was a trailer. Looking at the HD copy of the disc with Windows Explorer, there where far too few VIDEO_TS files for a normal DVD and none that were even close to a gig in size. I tried playing the disk itself with VLC but it crashed with unexpected shutdown errors. I exited "AnyDVD HD" and the movie played fine. Restarted "AnyDVD HD" and couldn't play movie again. Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.1.0_Info_G_THE_NATIVITY_STORY.ziplog
    167.8 KB · Views: 3
You're dealing with a 3 year old Handbrake issue. Read the sticky posts at the top to see your problem.
-W

"I used AnyDVD's "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool, which completed with no errors but unbelievably quick"

"Looking at the HD copy of the disc with Windows Explorer, there where far too few VIDEO_TS files for a normal DVD and none that were even close to a gig in size"

I assume the HD folder was WAY smaller in size than it should have been?

Try AnyDVD's "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool again with below AnyDVD version

http://sandbox.redfox.bz/SetupAnyDVD8213.exe

If it still rips "unbelievably quick" try using DVD Shrink to rip "The Nativity Story (2006)"

I've ripped a LOT of dvds over the years with CloneDVD2

A couple of them came out WAY smaller in size than they should have.

When I used DVD Shrink instead on those particular dvds the rips came out the expected size.

Note: Click on below link if you have Handbrake issues.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-and-handbrake-movie-conversion-abort-problem.73213/

Last edited:
I ran into a problem while attempting to rip "The Nativity Story". I had started the scan, something distracted me, I forgot that I had put the DVD in the drive and reopened it. About the same instant, a window popped up saying that there was a problem with reading the disk and that a AnyDVD logfile had been created and instructions of what to do. Feeling certain that this was only because I had reopened the drive at precisely the wrong moment, I ignored the message. I copied a couple of other DVDs then came back to "The Nativity Story" . I used AnyDVD's "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool, which completed with no errors but unbelievably quick. In Handbrake, only one video showed which was a trailer. Looking at the HD copy of the disc with Windows Explorer, there where far too few VIDEO_TS files for a normal DVD and none that were even close to a gig in size. I tried playing the disk itself with VLC but it crashed with unexpected shutdown errors. I exited "AnyDVD HD" and the movie played fine. Restarted "AnyDVD HD" and couldn't play movie again. Any help greatly appreciated!
I believe your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

A couple of them came out WAY smaller in size than they should have.

That's because CloneDVD removes unnecessary (filler) data without any quality loss.
It's the best software in the world with respect to making DVD backups. ;)

"It's the best software in the world with respect to making DVD backups"

I agree and that is why I usually rip my dvds with it.

There have been a couple of dvds (I forget the titles) where CloneDVD2 completed it's task in a minute or two and the hard drive folder was just a few hundred MB in size instead of the typical several GB in size.

When that happened I tried using DVD Shrink on those dvds and after apx ten minutes I had dvd folders several GB in size.

Since DVD Shrink worked I never bothered posting the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions although so far, they haven't helped. I realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that after the very quick "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool operation, I tried copying all of the files from the DVD to an HD folder using Windows Explorer. This copied a great many more files but failed to copy VTS_04_0.BUP which I skipped over. This would tend to indicate that the DVD is defective. None of the .IFO files in this folder will play (with AnyDVD HD running or not) with VLC, the error box message is attached as well as the VIDEO_TS folder files copied with both methods. Using VLC to play the DVD fails with the same error if AnyDVD is running, even if disabled. If I exit AnyDVD, VLC can play the DVD although I haven't yet tried playing the entire DVD, I just used the chapter selection to skip around some.

Attachments

• VIDEO_TS files copied with AnyDVD Rip to Hard Disk tool.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VIDEO_TS files copied with Windows Explorer.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VLC Error Window.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
"This copied a great many more files but failed to copy VTS_04_0.BUP which I skipped over"

James is likely correct in saying "I believe your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective"

I realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that after the very quick "Rip Videodisc to HD" tool operation, ...
If the option "remove copy protection based on unreadable sectors" is enabled in AnyDVD, it assumes that read errors are part of an evil plot and copies only parts of the disc, which are error free and do not reference any part with errors.
On your disc the read errors are just read errors. As I said, your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.
If you want to recover parts of the disc, disable said option. AnyDVD will now try to recover as much as possible and you can try to use CloneDVD to copy the most interesting parts, like the main feature. Good luck, and don't forget to revert the option when done.

"This copied a great many more files but failed to copy VTS_04_0.BUP which I skipped over"

James is likely correct in saying "I believe your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective"
I usually am. ;)

James (of course) was right! I borrowed a copy and it ripped with no trouble at all! Prior to the rip, I did watch the widescreen version of the movie on the disk I had purchased and it played just fine. Maybe the defective part is in the full screen version which, of course, DVD rip to hard drive tries to copy along with everything else. This, however, wouldn't explain why, with AnyDVD HD running, I couldn't play either version of the movie directly from the disk with VLC player. Whatever! I got my backup! Thanks for the help!

Back