• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

War for The Planet of the Apes Forced captions missing from .mkv playback in VLC

gmac1701

I have made a successful rip of the film. Playback and audio is perfect except missing forced captions. I checked the forced caption box was selected when ripping but cannot get them to display. Bit of a problem during the Ape sign language scenes where you cannot read their lines.

I have made a successful rip of the film. Playback and audio is perfect except missing forced captions. I checked the forced caption box was selected when ripping but cannot get them to display. Bit of a problem during the Ape sign language scenes where you cannot read their lines.
Please try a trial version of PowerDVD Ultra (version 17 as of the date I'm typing this.) If it works fine with PowerDVD, then AnyDVD did its job, because to be honest, VLC doesn't read Blu-ray discs/ISOs/folders as well as PowerDVD, which is a licensed Blu-ray player, and VLC is not.

Also, PowerDVD also handles mkv files well, and has since version 10, which I still use on my PC.

:)

PowerDVD 12 is the same. Looks like the forced subs arent being converted with the video when I shift it to .mkv. The 25 GB ISO works fine.

Last edited:

It's not that easy with forced subs.
Some movies use actual forced subs - which means, some of the subtitles in a subtitle track are flagged as "forced", others not.
With the option checked, CloneBD will create an additional track for the MKV with the forced subtitles only.

In your case here, it's probably another quite popular "technique": the subtitles are in a separate subtitle track and there are no forced flags.
Then you'll have to select that track for display.

The only way to find out, is to use the preview player in CloneBD and check the available subtitles.
If there's one, where the lines only show up, where you'd expect a forced subtitle, that's your candidate.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to do this automatically, because CloneBD would have to scan the whole movie and check for those forced flags.

I tried that, the primary track shows the subtitles when in preview mode but they dont make it into the .mkv.

I tried that, the primary track shows the subtitles when in preview mode but they dont make it into the .mkv.
What do you mean by "primary track"?
You mean the first subtitle track? That's probably the one, that has all subtitles, including the forced one (though they are not marked as forced).
You need to find a subtitle track, that has ONLY the forced subs.

I'm flying blind here, because I don't have the disc or an ISO of it.
I suggest, you make an MKV including ALL of the subtitles - all of them selected. Also set "add separate forced track".
Then post a log file of the complete transcoding. Then I can tell from the log file, how the subtitles are done on that disc.

Full log enclosed

Attachments

• war.cbdlog
    300.4 KB · Views: 16

I just made a .mkv from my 43.3gb .iso of War Of The Planet Of The Apes via CloneBD

I DO have the forced subtitles in VLC (see attached jpeg)

Settings I used

Profile "MKV with selectable subtitles"

Subtitle languages "I included all 3 English Subtitle options (Subtitles 1., 4. & 5.)

"extra track for forced subtitles" (I forgot to check the box BUT I still have the forced subtitles in my .mkv)

In the jpeg you will see that I manually selected the middle English Subtitle option to watch the movie

When the .mkv is watched on VLC or my Q10 Pro Android Tv Box all that show during the movie are the forced subtitles.
(Note: I have to manually select the middle English Subtitle option with my Q10 Pro as well)

Attachments

• War For The Planet Of The Apes - Forced Subtitles.jpg
    War For The Planet Of The Apes - Forced Subtitles.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I have tried your suggestion ( I had extra track for forced subtitles checked) but still no luck. Something weird going on here, none of the 3 English tracks show the subs using VLC. edit:: I have just tried PowerDVD since posting and can get forced subs to show on track 3. Must be a different disc but VLC cannot handle my rip.

Attachments

• wftpota forced.jpg
    wftpota forced.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 14
I don't know the version number but VLC update says I have the latest version

I tried playing the .mkv on my other free software player - DVDFab Media Player 3.2.0.1

Forced subtitles work fine on both above players when I select the 2nd english subtitle option out of 3 choices

Note: I made a SECOND .mkv but this time I checked the box "extra track for forced subtitles"

The second .mkv has FOUR English subtitle options. If the 4th option is supposed to be the "extra track for forced subtitles" apparently something went wrong as the forced subtitles are NOT there.

The forced subtitles are the 2nd option out of 4 English subtitle choices.

Last edited:
What I can tell from the log file is that the subtitle tracks seem to be these in order:

1. English
  2. French (including forced)
  3. Dutch
  4. German (including forced)
  5. English
  6. French
  7. Dutch
  8. German
  9. English (including forced)
So apparently only the third English subtitle track should include forced subs.
I don't see the contents of the subs, so I don't know the differences between the three English tracks.
But if you select only the third for processing and tick the "separate track for forced" option, you should end up with two sub tracks - and selecting the forced as default should also activate the forced track automatically in VLC.

Pete

"I suggest, you make an MKV including ALL of the subtitles - all of them selected and also check the box for extra track for forced subtitles"

Do you mean All of just the ENGLISH subtitle options or ALL available subtitles in ALL languages?

If a person makes a habit of including ALL English subtitle options AND checking the box for "extra track for forced subtitles" (on content with forced subtitles) does this mean their .mkv will have forced subtitles but they have to check each English subtitle track in their .mkv until they find the one that just has the forced subtitles?

"Unfortunately, there is no good way to do this automatically, because CloneBD would have to scan the whole movie and check for those forced flags"

Apx how long would it take for CloneBD to scan the whole movie to check for those forced flags?

If it just takes a few minutes could an option be added to CloneBD to check for the forced flags for those willing to wait for the scan to complete?

Last edited:
It would have to scan the entire movie file so it would take more than a few minutes if it has to read the entire file, especially coming off an optical drive

It would have to scan the entire movie file so it would take more than a few minutes if it has to read the entire file, especially coming off an optical drive

I forgot to mention that a Blu ray .iso is the source for ALL of my CloneBD processing. I never bothered trying to see how much longer it takes CloneBD to process a blu ray disc vs a blu ray .iso

If it would take more than a few minutes for CloneBD to scan the .iso I'll just include ALL English subtitle options AND check the box for "extra track for forced subtitles" when making a .mkv of content that has forced subtitles.

I assume if I did this my .mkv would have forced subtitles. I would just need to select the correct English subtitle track that just has the forced subtitles.

I did this the other day. I just left the main subtitles as the default track (it has the ape language included) and then the 9th track which is just the ape language subtitles is the second subtitle track.

If CloneBD won't give you the outcome you want you can use MKVToolNix (Windows build) (MKV only) on the file CloneBD produces.
It actually takes a couple of seconds to manipulate the default and forced subtitle tracks instead of reprocessing the movie over and over until you get it right.

Last edited:
Back