• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD-BD : AnyDVD HD vs DeUHD vs MakeMKV Quality

jmone

I've been testing the difference between the three programs and the "quality" of the rip (to folder) as from the beginning with DeUHD there have been issues with getting consistent rips. My Practice has been with DeUHD to multi rip a disk till I get all files matching. Sometimes I've had to do this 10 times. The latest version of DeUHD now advises if there is an issue in reading the data (see pic) during ripping which is great.

Q: Does AnyDVD HD also verify the quality of the rip as it is going?

Other notes from my testing:
- AnyDVD HD and DeUHD (from V1.0.1.1) produce matching content :)
- Earlier versions of DeUHD and MakeMKV produce different M2TS (seems to be muxed differently as the content of the streams IN the M2TS are identical but they M2TS themselves are different)
- AnyDVD HD is the fastest by far. I get 25mb/s Vs 15mb/s with DeUHD.

Thanks
Nathan3e1a57d14552428e20c7e1a8481d5fdc046353ba.png

I've been testing the difference between the three programs and the "quality" of the rip (to folder) as from the beginning with DeUHD there have been issues with getting consistent rips. My Practice has been with DeUHD to multi rip a disk till I get all files matching. Sometimes I've had to do this 10 times. The latest version of DeUHD now advises if there is an issue in reading the data (see pic) during ripping which is great.

No need to, cause AnyDVD does it right. :)

Earlier versions of DeUHD and MakeMKV produce different M2TS (seems to be muxed differently as the content of the streams IN the M2TS are identical but they M2TS themselves are different)
There should be no "muxing" going on whatsoever, when using either MakeMKV or DeUHD (unless you're converting from m2ts to MKV, of course).

So if there are any differences, I'd expect, that maybe early versions of DeUHD simply forgot to reset the copy protection flags.
Other than that: all three programs really should do nothing at all with the data, except for decrypting.

Does AnyDVD HD also verify the quality of the rip as it is going?
I'm not sure, what that means - what "quality" is there to verify? It's digital, so it either works or doesn't.
An unrecoverable read error should cause failure, period.
If you get varying results with DeUHD, then DeUHD has a bug, that's all.

I think he's looking for hash value results on each file SHA-1 or betterSnap12.jpg

Other notes from my testing:
- AnyDVD HD and DeUHD (from V1.0.1.1) produce matching content :)
- Earlier versions of DeUHD and MakeMKV produce different M2TS (seems to be muxed differently as the content of the streams IN the M2TS are identical but they M2TS themselves are different)
- AnyDVD HD is the fastest by far. I get 25mb/s Vs 15mb/s with DeUHD.

Thanks
NathanView attachment 40147

Off topic, When you install DeUHD it installs hidden files and even installs a reg entry into lower filters that can mess with other programs even if you uninstall that junk. The hidden files a lot of programs do, Just say'n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I think he's looking for hash value results on each file SHA-1 or better
That may well be - doesn't change the fact, that it's not required.

Off topic, When you install DeUHD it installs hidden files and even installs a reg entry into lower filters that can mess with other programs even if you uninstall that junk. The hidden files a lot of programs do, Just say'n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

What hidden files? Where?
The registry entry for lower filters is required, AnyDVD requires it for the same reason. Otherwise it couldn't virtualize the disc and present an unprotected clone of it to the system.

Where are you guys downloading the 8.2.1.1 Beta from? I'm not seeing it on Redfox's website.

Thanks
MD

That may well be - doesn't change the fact, that it's not required.

What hidden files? Where?
The registry entry for lower filters is required, AnyDVD requires it for the same reason. Otherwise it couldn't virtualize the disc and present an unprotected clone of it to the system.

correct, When uninstalled it leaves the crap there, But so does a lot of programs

deuhdsys

correct, When uninstalled it leaves the crap there, But so does a lot of programs
What? You mean the filters entry is not removed? I believe that can break drive access entirely.

What? You mean the filters entry is not removed? I believe that can break drive access entirely.

That's why I said some ppl had problems. I removed it...I only had the freeware version to try

I think he's looking for hash value results on each file SHA-1 or betterView attachment 40151
Rip to iso. Always rip BD to iso. AnyDVD will create an md5 hash for isos if you tick "create additional .dvd file". Ripping to folder doesn't make much sense, it is slow and destroys the sector positions, meta information, additional space for replacement sectors. Want the main movie only? Copy it with explorer... or do yourself a favor and use CloneBD

Rip to iso. Always rip BD to iso. AnyDVD will create an md5 hash for isos if you tick "create additional .dvd file". Ripping to folder doesn't make much sense, it is slow and destroys the sector positions, meta information, additional space for replacement sectors. Want the main movie only? Copy it with explorer... or use CloneBD for Christ's sake...

That's him but in my case I need a folder, Oppo don't read ISO...So what do I destroy if I make a ISO then uncompress it with WinRAR?. No matter what even with a folder I have to change the flags or no go.

Yes I can use the HTPC and drive the ISO into the Oppo HDMI in, That will work because the source iS on computer not the Oppo. But that makes me use two devices. Well 1 if UHD

Last edited by a moderator:
That's him but in my case I need a folder, Oppo don't read ISO...So what do I destroy if I make a ISO then uncompress it with WinRAR?. No matter what even with a folder I have to change the flags or no go.

Yes I can use the HTPC and drive the ISO into the Oppo HDMI in, That will work because the source in on computer not the Oppo. But that makes me use two devices. Well 1 if UHD
In your case ripping to iso doesn't make much sense. Others could simply mount the iso with VCD and voila! iso to folder in 1 second. You could simply drag and drop from the original disc. Maybe faster than AnyDVD's copy to folder ripper, if the disc has many small files.

So what do I destroy if I make a ISO then uncompress it with WinRAR?
Files on BDs are often placed / spread on the disc to specific locations, so that the optical pickup doesn't need to move large distances. Think about Disney with their multi angle authoring for different languages / titles / credits.
This hardly matters if you don't want to put the content back to an optical disc, as seeking on harddisk should always be fast enough.
But an iso can be mounted and processed by AnyDVD again, e.g. move the subtitles around or make them partly visible. A feature missing from the Oppo (Oppo's and Panasonic's subtitle moving is pathetic.)
Or add a speedmenu later. Or remove UOPs later. Or remove annoyances later.

Thanks for the responses to date, and here is some more background. I rip to folder (use JRiver Media Center for playback), and had been having issues with getting DeUHD to consistently produce identical output. Normally it was the main M2TS (no surprise as it is the biggest). Hence multi rip, check the they are the same (file content comapre). How DeUHD rip the files has also changed a couple of time, then VUK version came first with MakeMKV now AnyDVD HD. MakeMKV was also producing different M2TS files. So I'm on the hunt to confirm which makes a "good" Rip.

For testing I've used "Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Part 1" and here are are summary of my results and the SHA1 Checksums for the Main M2TS File (00005.m2ts):
- 8cec93d8da12789bd330772a31fb28c5af57c3b0 = DeUHD V1.0.0.7
- 5b2fd96ccd8f5974768f7bf2d773265671042b7c = DeUHD V1.0.1.1
- 5b2fd96ccd8f5974768f7bf2d773265671042b7c = AnyDVD HD
- 62dc9d8ddb16be80f0864705c5f5b5ce3bf441a1 = MakeMKV

AnyDVD HD produces an identical file to the later versions of DeUHD yet the other MakeMKV and rips done with older versions of DeUHD make a different file. When looking at these M2TS files in a HEX Editor it was apparent the differences where in blocks around the "HDMV" headers and the differences followed the same patterns (eg a string of "FD 49 31 8C" was instead "7B E2 9E 83 " in MakeMKV's version). All the different versions seemed to play fine as well.

So I then DeMuxed these files (using the latest eac3to) and compared the checksums of all the extracted streams. All of these streams have matching Checksums, eg the main M2TS video stream "1 - h265, 2160p24.h265" has a SHA1 of 7f217cf2d4ad2a18ccb73c9ba970f88355e5edaa regardless of which program produced it. It appears that the difference across the M2TS files are from a muxer rather than the streams.

So the conclusion I've reached (and it may be wrong), is that MakeMKV is not just copying the M2TS but opening a muxer for wrinting rather than copying it if you are ripping to Folder (which I guess is the strategy when creating a MKV).... I hence also then presume that the older versions of DeUHD (1.0.0.7) may have also be doing something similar. I also don't know at what version the strategy changed with DeUHD changed (1.0.0.7 did it one way, 1.0.1.1 does it another way).

It appears that AnyDVD and V1.0.1.1 onwards is copying the data the same way.

Conclusion: All I want is to be confident that when I put my disc in the drive and press Rip (to folder) = a "Good Rip".... having to muti rip and compare is a PITA. I "think" the best options to be confident of a "Good Rip" is to use AnyDVD HD if the VUK is available (due to higher speeds) and DeUHD V1.0.1.1 or later for titles it supports.

Thanks for the responses to date, and here is some more background. I rip to folder (use JRiver Media Center for playback), and had been having issues with getting DeUHD to consistently produce identical output. Normally it was the main M2TS (no surprise as it is the biggest). Hence multi rip, check the they are the same (file content comapre). How DeUHD rip the files has also changed a couple of time, then VUK version came first with MakeMKV now AnyDVD HD. MakeMKV was also producing different M2TS files. So I'm on the hunt to confirm which makes a "good" Rip.

For testing I've used "Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Part 1" and here are are summary of my results and the SHA1 Checksums for the Main M2TS File (00005.m2ts):
- 8cec93d8da12789bd330772a31fb28c5af57c3b0 = DeUHD V1.0.0.7
- 5b2fd96ccd8f5974768f7bf2d773265671042b7c = DeUHD V1.0.1.1
- 5b2fd96ccd8f5974768f7bf2d773265671042b7c = AnyDVD HD
- 62dc9d8ddb16be80f0864705c5f5b5ce3bf441a1 = MakeMKV

AnyDVD HD produces an identical file to the later versions of DeUHD yet the other MakeMKV and rips done with older versions of DeUHD make a different file. When looking at these M2TS files in a HEX Editor it was apparent the differences where in blocks around the "HDMV" headers and the differences followed the same patterns (eg a string of "FD 49 31 8C" was instead "7B E2 9E 83 " in MakeMKV's version). All the different versions seemed to play fine as well.

So I then DeMuxed these files (using the latest eac3to) and compared the checksums of all the extracted streams. All of these streams have matching Checksums, eg the main M2TS video stream "1 - h265, 2160p24.h265" has a SHA1 of 7f217cf2d4ad2a18ccb73c9ba970f88355e5edaa regardless of which program produced it. It appears that the difference across the M2TS files are from a muxer rather than the streams.

So the conclusion I've reached (and it may be wrong), is that MakeMKV is not just copying the M2TS but opening a muxer for wrinting rather than copying it if you are ripping to Folder (which I guess is the strategy when creating a MKV).... I hence also then presume that the older versions of DeUHD (1.0.0.7) may have also be doing something similar. I also don't know at what version the strategy changed with DeUHD changed (1.0.0.7 did it one way, 1.0.1.1 does it another way).

It appears that AnyDVD and V1.0.1.1 onwards is copying the data the same way.

Conclusion: All I want is to be confident that when I put my disc in the drive and press Rip (to folder) = a "Good Rip".... having to muti rip and compare is a PITA. I "think" the best options to be confident of a "Good Rip" is to use AnyDVD HD if the VUK is available (due to higher speeds) and DeUHD V1.0.1.1 or later for titles it supports.

I read everything you said, This is my take on UHD Discs, There not all created equal. I'm not talking about the keys either. First off regular Blu-ray discs can take far more of a beating than a UHD disc. I seen ppl in 3 different states then me complain they couldn't copy Deepwater Horizon UHD because the main 000005.M2TS was screwed...It took 3 copies from BestBuy b4 I could copy it. These UHD discs I don't even touch them without medical gloves on. Now as far as the file HASH goes it isn't needed. AnyDVD HD and DeUHD doesn't even work the same and neither does MakeMKV. I can use either of the 3...AnyDVD HD chokes both the other 2 in speed WITHOUT errors. If I seen something not right I'd say something but as FAR as AnyDVD HD is of concern it is not needed because MOST likely it would error with a popup box in the first place. And where the problem is at!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses to date, and here is some more background. I rip to folder (use JRiver Media Center for playback)
Rip to ISO. Mount in VCD (Hey! You have folders! In less than a second!). Play.

Not wanting to get off topic on ISO vs Folder Pros and Cons .....

..... more interested in the fact that the M2TS files are different based on what tool is used and which one to trust to do a "good" folder rip. I've now narrowed it down to:
- AnyDVD HD & DeUHD V1.0.0.8 onwards produce the same M2TS Files = Both good to go pending on what tool supports what disc
- MakeMKV produces different M2TS files (but the streams in the M2TS are the same) = I "think" it is using a remuxer
- DeUHD V1.0.0.7 or earlier produces different M2TS files (but the streams in the M2TS are the same) = I'm guessing they were also remuxing and I now wonder if I need to re-rip

Back