• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10 Version 1709, Nvidia, PowerDVD Blu-ray 3D Warning

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
If

1.) You use a HTPC with Windows 10 with an Nvidia graphics card*
2.) You like to watch 3D Blu-rays on this PC
3.) You use PowerDVD 10-14 or 16 for Blu-ray playback**

you should not install the latest and greatest feature update from Microsoft (Version 1709), because it will break 3D playback. I found out the hard way and had to uninstall and revert to version 1703.

Unless Cyberlink issues a fix (unlikely, they can't get the latest and greatest PowerDVD 17 to play 3D at all), Nvidia issues a fix (unlikely, Nvidia probably says "not our fault") or Micrsosoft issues a fix (even more unlikely) playback of 3D Blu-rays is not possible anymore.
WinDVD 12 pro does play Blu-ray 3D with Windows 10 version 1709 and Nvidia graphics, but ... meh.

If you have already installed the update I suggest you test 3D playback. AFAIK reverting to the previous version is only possible for a couple of days.

*tested various models from GT730 to GTX1070
**PowerDVD 15 & 17 don't work for 3D playback with Nvidia. Yes, Cyberlink is really this incompetent.

Well one of them will have to fix it, eventually Microsoft wil push that build to a PC of the user wants or or not (especially home versions). It can only be postponed for *so long*. Pdvd is a backup for me, I've got a 3d standalone player hooked up to one of the other inputs of my 3d monitor for main playback.

Thanks for the warning though

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

**PowerDVD 15 17 don't work for 3D playback with Nvidia.
What do you mean by that?

I use a GTX 1060, PDVD 17 (updated back in July - didn’t check the path released last week - at least not for 3D) and Win 1703 and (after some weird things I noticed / that’s true), at the end it plays normally 3D BDs

You obviously have to install 3D Vision, the 3D part of the nvidia driver (doesn’t install itself automatically (at least not always) if you let win to auto download the driver) which is a part of nvidia’s driver package which you download manually from their site.

Before launching PDVD, I enable 3D via Win settings and then play with PDVD

The first time I noticed that, although all seem to be in 3D mode, actuall video playback was in 2D.

But after a couple of secs (and without doing anything), video playback switched normally to 3D.

I also enable anydvd’s “simulate 3D display” setting (although I don’t think that makes any difference)

With previous PDVD versions I haven’t noticed this weird behavior. But then again, I switched between many AMD, Intel and Nvidia cards the last years so I cannot remember for sure which one I was testing with which PDVD version.

He's not talking about build 1703 but 1709 ( fall Creator's update) that breaks 3d functionality. Reverting to 1703 was the 'fix'. But it seems for pdvd 17, the lastest update fixes it.

He's not talking about build 1703 but 1709 ( fall Creator's update) that breaks 3d functionality. Reverting to 1703 was the 'fix'. But it seems for pdvd 17, the lastest update fixes it.

I read that.

But he clearly “exludes” pdvd 15 and 17 saying that (17) doesn’t play 3D at all (despite Win version).

I read that.

But he clearly “exludes” pdvd 15 and 17 saying that (17) doesn’t play 3D at all (despite Win version).
Maybe it depends on the version. 17.0.2101.62 certainly does not. And PowerDVD 15... is simply very broken.

somebody on these forums said it did, i'll see if i can track down the post. Havent had the 1709 build yet myself so can't try

Maybe it depends on the version. 17.0.2101.62 certainly does not. And PowerDVD 15... is simply very broken.

PDVD 17 build 1808 plays 3D (but after some strange quirks - as mentioned above)

Tested with Win 1703

Haven’t tested yet Win 1709 or PDVD 2101 (at least, not with 3D)

I also read that there is a newer PDVD 17 version 22XX but only as a trial

Re. PDVD 15, I used it for a year and I don’t remember any problems with 3D. I am (almost but not 100%) sure that I owned an nvidia card at that time.

Same , 1709 is broken, only Windvd12 is working,, finally someone who can confirm this.. no one in this world couldn't just say it doesn't work.. so ignorance people , I asked many forums , even 3D forums, and many others which let's say the whole talk is about the 3D movie, and still no one said anything... just so annoying no one else is posting about it or even little google search will find results.

Nore powerdvd16 2104 or powerdvd17 2101 are working they both going into 3D - 2D loop and the TV keep blinking and powerdvd is kinda freezed . I think it's because this HDR thing with 1709 and also Nvidia . because 3D is working with nvidia 385.69 , so you can still play 3D . but with 385.69 nvidia is messed up with the 3D drivers !!! IT"S A BLOODY MESS, there is no single way to have it working.

385.69 is messed up because somehow randomly 3D is stopping to work after 1 time you go into 3D. there is no way 3D is working again until you uninstall for 1 time 3D.................. .... not even works in NVidia Health Check or Nvidia 3D test... ( OR maybe I just realise that maybe the 3D mode on the TV is not auto working because for some reason of windows 1709 ) and also NVidia drivers.
385.69 also crashing while trying to do the Health check !

PowerDVD16 and 17 are broken with HDR is my guess, it always try to enable HDR which not avaliable to 3D , because that's what I see in the notification.

387.92 and 387.96 , still didn't check 388.00 but I guess it's same thing... making PowerDVD not working in 3D no matter what, but 3D works fine for WinDVD12/
But finally 387.xx have it's 3D health test working now and not crashing !

Last edited:
Something with PowerDVD17 2101 with 385.69 is screwing with the 3D . there is non stop motion blur that kills my eyes, there is no such thing in WindDVD12 on both drivers 385.69 and 387.92/96 , what's so screw up with PowerDVD ???

the 3D is working but there are like some kind of Tearing / No Sync between and it's just impossible to watch.

It's even with the TV 3D , Row - Interleaved , that means it's not NVidia if it happens both Nvidia HDMI-Bluray3D and also the TV Native 4K 3D ... it's something with PowerDVD17 . because the 3D is also works properly fine with WinDVD12 .. but WinDVD I have weird Audio Stuttering/Crackling always on same points in Transformers , I'm using GSX 1000 with Headphones DT990 600 ohms . I don't know what to do to fo fix it. I'm using 7.1 in the Windows Speaker menu and Windvd12 Pass LFE channel to headphones is selected .

Weird Solution :
Drivers 385.69

Somehow PowerDVD17 is working fine now... I messed with the PowerDVD17 Video settings, enabling and disabling 5 times and Closing the Video menu after each time of disabling and enabling. means I select enable then close, then open again disable close, some settings didn't stick to enable like TrueMotion and that's where it kicked me, it like it was enabled but it didn't show in UI, so enabling it also didn't enable it, after couple of time it was suddenly enabled while the movie is not played, when I started the movie it disabled all the Video menus because it doesn't support 3D , but somehow the problem is not visible anymore... the hell .... I gave you all the info I could possibly give you. I hope you will fix your issue James, from x7007 to James :p

Ok finally going to watch Transformers Last knight 3D properly in 3D with PowerDVD17 windows 1709 lol ..

James why it's not possible to send you PM ?

Last edited:
Can someone check Driver 388.10 hotfix , does it fix the issue ?

Nvidia Driver 388.10 3D Bluray (iso) playback not working either with PowerDVD 17 Ultra (2101), Windows Fall Creator (1709). Tried older Nvidia releases; no luck. Could not fallback to prior Win10 (1703) as its past 10 days from install. 3D playback worked fine prior to Win10 Fall Creator update: Asus Z170-Deluxe, Nvidia GTX660Ti, 65" Vizio TV.

While writing this, Nvidia release 388.13. Installing and checking if problem fixed.

Nvidia driver update 388.13 apparently did not correct problem. Still unable to play 3D bluray iso in 3D in either PowerDvd (2101) or WinDvd Pro 12; reverts to 2D playback. 2D Bluray iso's works fine in both PowerDVD and WinDVD Pro V12.

Did notice something weird when using Nvidia control panel for Stereoscopic setup; downgrades from 1080p 3D to 720p 3D display resolution.

Nvidia driver update 388.13 apparently did not correct problem. Still unable to play 3D bluray iso in 3D in either PowerDvd (2101) or WinDvd Pro 12; reverts to 2D playback. 2D Bluray iso's works fine in both PowerDVD and WinDVD Pro V12.

Did notice something weird when using Nvidia control panel for Stereoscopic setup; downgrades from 1080p 3D to 720p 3D display resolution.

Also received "Failed to create D3D Device 3" error when initializing 3D stereoscopic setup.

Stereoscopic is indeed completely broken either for desktop Win32 programs, like PowerDVD 16 or 17, or for compatible 3D Vision games on Fall Creators Update (build 16299.19).
I have a case opened with nVidia, reference number 171113-000688.

I have also recorded a video demonstrating the problem. Please check it out.

If you file a report to nVidia, it would come in handy, as the more people report the same issue, the more likely they are to give any attention to it.

I also have a feedback on Windows Feedback Hub. If you can upvote it, it would be very useful in order for it to gain any attention.

Just downloaded Nvidia 388.31 driver and it apparently works for me now with one manual change due to uncorrected OS issue, which was noted on page 20 in the release notes for 388.31.

"Operating System Issues [Windows 10 Fall Creators Update][HDTV]: 12 bpc is automatically applied even on HDTVs that support only 8 bpc, resulting in a scrambled display. [2007663] To work around, open the NVIDIA Control Panel->Change Resolution page, select “Use NVIDIA color settings”, then set the Output color depth to 8 bpc."

Just downloaded Nvidia 388.31 driver and it apparently works for me now with one manual change due to uncorrected OS issue, which was noted on page 20 in the release notes for 388.31.

"Operating System Issues [Windows 10 Fall Creators Update][HDTV]: 12 bpc is automatically applied even on HDTVs that support only 8 bpc, resulting in a scrambled display. [2007663] To work around, open the NVIDIA Control Panel->Change Resolution page, select “Use NVIDIA color settings”, then set the Output color depth to 8 bpc."

Just to clarify:

Nvidia 388.31 w/ manual change
Win10 Fall Creators (always latest version & updates)
PowerDVD 17 Ultra 2101 release

I can also verify that 388.31 works fine (no needed switching to 8 bit)

Back