• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD PlayBack & Burner / MDisc Support?

DJHallo

I'm trying to find a Burner what can Play UHD with CyberLink PowerDVD17.
And also can burn UHD disc, but I also love to have MDisc support aswel.
If possible no more the 150 dollar, and if possible around the 100 dollar course.

Does this exist?

P.S. I was wondering does this product have the requirements what I'm searching for?
Asus BW-16D1HT.

A UHD reader that is a Blu-ray (SL/DL/TL/QL), DVD, and CD burner? Plus M-Disc support?

Take a look at the LG WH16NS60. Fry's is selling it for $118.99 online: http://www.frys.com/product/9240599. Free shipping, too. Might be able to find it somewhere else for less but I had trouble locating it to begin with.

Try computeruniverse.net

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I love to have it, but need a another solution can't ship it here! :(
Must ship to Europe! ;)

P.S. Does it work with this one instead: http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BH16NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive ?

The BH16NS40 might be able to read UHD discs but it is not an actual UHD drive meaning it lacks the necessary hardware, etc, for AACS 2.0 and such. It can read and burn to BD (SL, DL, TL, QL) but that doesn't make it a UHD drive.

If your goal is to use the drive with DeUHD then it should work but it must have the proper SVC code and not all do. While, the drive may be cheaper ~58 USD it's older and it's entirely possible the loophole making it usable with DeUHD might be plugged at some point.

My much loved Pioneer BDR-205 recently stopped burning DVDs completely so I had to purchase a new drive and decided to go with a UHD drive. I managed to grab the LG WH16NS60 for $80. Had I been able to find a comparable price on the Pioneer BDR-211UBK I would probably have gone with the Pioneer drive. But, no Pioneer drive works with DeUHD, either.

Refer to @Ch3vr0n for where to try looking for the drive to get shipping to Europe.

I tryed to find the LG for shipment but it's impossible for the LG WH16NS60 version.
So my question is I can use Pioneer BDR-211UBK instead?, Problem I don't see if it also works with M-Disc.
And it doesn't work with DeUHD, but I'm willing to wait for AnyDVD UHD (Yes, I know not here Yet!).
But if I buy Pioneer BDR-211UBK all my Requirements is possible?

P.S. What about this? (I can ship it here, but does the Requirements work):
http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

Last edited:
I tryed to find the LG for shipment but it's impossible for the LG WH16NS60 version.
So my question is I can use Pioneer BDR-211UBK instead?, Problem I don't see if it also works with M-Disc.
And it doesn't work with DeUHD, but I'm willing to wait for AnyDVD UHD (Yes, I know not here Yet!).
But if I buy Pioneer BDR-211UBK all my Requirements is possible?

P.S. What about this? (I can ship it here, but does the Requirements work):
http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

AFAIK, no Pioneer drive supports M-Disc. I could be wrong but I'm simply not aware of any. The BDR-211 is a nice drive but it doesn't support M-Disc and, correct, it won't work with DeUHD. So, it would be a nice UHD drive but not support M-Disc and won't work at all with DeUHD.

As I previously noted, with the BH16NS40 drive the WH16NS40 is not a UHD drive. It is a BDXL - BD (SL, DL, TL, QL) drive - but BDXL and UHD are not the same. While DeUHD will work using the WH16NS40 it is simply doing so because some non-UHD drives can still see the contents on the discs even though they lack other requirements to make them a UHD drive. You won't be able to play a UHD movie using the WH16NS40 on a system that meets all the UHD requirements because the drive won't be able to handle the protections unless you use something else to decrypt the content. I don't see the logic in going this route and I wonder if a firmware update could later prevent drives like the WH16NS40 from being able to view the contents of UHD discs.

If you really want a UHD drive then, personally, I would recommend getting a real UHD drive. If the WH16NS60 isn't available then I'd wait until an LG drive is available where you are since it will meet all your requirements. Honestly, I am not very knowledgeable about M-Disc but it seems that when I see it supported the drive is an LG drive.

NOTE: AFAIK when it comes to the LG drives the only difference between the WHxxxxxx and BHxxxxxx drives is that one comes with software and the other is just the drive.

I think You're Right, I must wait. Only thing it's strange that only LG has it. :(
But thanks for the help! ;)

I think You're Right, I must wait. Only thing it's strange that only LG has it. :(
But thanks for the help! ;)

I happened to do a quick read on M-Disc. LG, ASUS, and Lite-On have sold M-Disc capable drives. No idea on the latest models to support it from each company. I wouldn't buy an ASUS drive simply because they are rebadged and this can be a pain when it comes to firmware updates for better media support. The drives might be good but I just wouldn't buy one for myself. I wouldn't buy a Lite-On because I just really hate their optical drives, period. Some people love them but I most certainly do not. That leaves LG. I've preferred Pioneer with respect to Blu-ray but I always had good luck with LG DVD drives and even my LG HD-DVD drive. I see no reason why that wouldn't continue with Blu-ray and UHD. The reviews for such LG drives have remained consistently good.

I was just wondering the Pioneer BDR-211UBK, can burn BDXL & BD-R.
And the picture below is a M-Disc and said BDXL & BD-R, does this mean it also can burn this?
51sEabDu%2BWL.jpg MILMDBD003_gall1.jpg
Does this mean I have all the requierement just like the LG version: LG WH16NS60?

Last edited:
I was just wondering the Pioneer BDR-211UBK, can burn BDXL & BD-R.
And the picture below is a M-Disc and said BDXL & BD-R, does this mean it also can burn this?
View attachment 39288 View attachment 39289
Does this mean I have all the requierement just like the LG version: LG WH16NS60?

I did a search and found a Pioneer BDR-211UBK bundle with M-Disc discs. I'm confused because I see nothing in the Pioneer specs. Honestly, I would contact Pioneer customer support and specifically ask for clarification. AFAIK there is no M-Disc support but maybe there is but they just don't think it's worth noting in the specs?

I did a search and found a Pioneer BDR-211UBK bundle with M-Disc discs. I'm confused because I see nothing in the Pioneer specs. Honestly, I would contact Pioneer customer support and specifically ask for clarification. AFAIK there is no M-Disc support but maybe there is but they just don't think it's worth noting in the specs?
Yeah, I also find that on Amazon, and I couldn't find it out if it did work.
Also the Comment section does kinda worry me: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-...TF8&qid=1507412675&sr=8-3&keywords=BDR-211UBK
I already send Pioneer a Message! ;), If I know the anwser I will send it here aswel!

Here is the list of supported Drives from the M-Disc Web Site: - http://www.mdisc.com/m-ready/ The BDR-211UBK is not on the list
Thanks for this nice List! ;) You're right about the Drive though! :(

Btw, I ran across something earlier noting ASUS drives were rebadged LG or Lite-on which would explain ASUS drives supporting M-Disc.

Btw, I ran across something earlier noting ASUS drives were rebadged LG or Lite-on which would explain ASUS drives supporting M-Disc.
Funny that you are saying this I also found out that my Old Burner thanks to the MDisc list also works with MDisk 25GB Asus BW-12D1S-U. I'm shocked it's still available because it's from 2011. ;)

The drives are listed on the DeUHD website as supported but with the note that they must be that drive model and manufactured 2015+. No one can tell you if the drive(s) will work since no one knows when the drive(s) for sale in the links you posted were manufactured.

NOTE: These drive(s) will only allow UHD playback with PowerDVD17 once the AACS protection has been removed and your system meets the other PowerDVD requirements. These are BDXL drives not UHD drives.

Last edited:
The drives are listed on the DeUHD website as supported but with the note that they must be that drive model and manufactured 2015+. No one can tell you if the drive(s) will work since no one knows when the drive(s) for sale in the links you posted were manufactured.

NOTE: These drive(s) will only allow UHD playback with PowerDVD17 once the AACS protection has been removed and your system meets the other PowerDVD requirements. These are BDXL drives not UHD drives.
Thanks for the information!

Back