• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Kaby Lake Required for PowerDVD17

Lezyne

Can someone explain to me why you must have a kaby lake processor for PowerDVD17?

You don't need kaby lake for 17, you need it for UHD playback only as kaby lake is the first chipset that fully supports a technology called SGX which is required for UHD playback on PC.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

You don't need kaby lake for 17, you need it for UHD playback only as kaby lake is the first chipset that fully supports a technology called SGX which is required for UHD playback on PC.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Does that mean that every UltraHD BluRay player has a Kaby Lake processor inside or do the players work differently?

No, you can't compare standalone players with a PC system. Completely different technologies. A standalone player is a "closed" environment, a PC is not. SGX is meant to close the environment

Does that mean that every UltraHD BluRay player has a Kaby Lake processor inside or do the players work differently?

No, so far as we have tested (I'll be making a extremely lengthy and detailed post soon based on our findings) none of the commercially available 4K UHD certified players that we have tested have any Intel chips in them.

Our testing results may help others that are looking for alternate means as we have found some interesting tidbits.

No, so far as we have tested (I'll be making a extremely lengthy and detailed post soon based on our findings) none of the commercially available 4K UHD certified players that we have tested have any Intel chips in them.

Our testing results may help others that are looking for alternate means as we have found some interesting tidbits.

Looking forward to your findings!

I believe and I may be wrong but the kaby Lake 7th gen processors have to be in the PC, not the commercially available 4K UHD certified players. Again its my understanding, that you need a computer running a 7th Gen Intel Processor and a motherboard (Z270). Then you need a certified Bluray player , I have only seen 2 for computers, one by LG http://www.frys.com/product/9240599 and one by Pioneer https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Vhl6GCh2VbAf-EAQYAiABEgKns_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds , then you need a 4K monitor or 4kTV with a 4K player. This is a very costly thing to do right now, I am sure the prices will come down in the future.

I believe and I may be wrong but the kaby Lake 7th gen processors have to be in the PC, not the commercially available 4K UHD certified players. Again its my understanding, that you need a computer running a 7th Gen Intel Processor and a motherboard (Z270). Then you need a certified Bluray player , I have only seen 2 for computers, one by LG http://www.frys.com/product/9240599 and one by Pioneer https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Vhl6GCh2VbAf-EAQYAiABEgKns_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds , then you need a 4K monitor or 4kTV with a 4K player. This is a very costly thing to do right now, I am sure the prices will come down in the future.

In the end, the true stumbling block and why Kaby Lake is required is the built-in graphics. My Skylake 6700K and my Z170 mobo work with SGX via software capable but the Intel graphics in the CPU isn't up to snuff and no third-party card can do it due to lack of SGX or a comparable or accepted mechanism.

Last edited:
until descrete gfx cards are available (or nVidia/AMD updates the drivers with SGX support), i can't see UHD on PC really go anywhere. on-board gpu compared to a dedicated gfx card is like a Ford model-T vs Lamborgini Huracan

until descrete gfx cards are available (or nVidia/AMD updates the drivers with SGX support), i can't see UHD on PC really go anywhere. on-board gpu compared to a dedicated gfx card is like a Ford model-T vs Lamborgini Huracan
Ch3vron are there any 4k PC available monitors and are any of them available in oled screens and is replay of uhd bd possible on laptops?

A quick google: http://www.lg.com/us/4k-monitors naturally there's plenty more. and i don't see why it wouldn't be possible on a laptop if it meets the hard- & software requirements. I doubt you'll find a model though with an uhd slimdrive built in, but that's probably nothing an external drive can't fix. Though the bottleneck in that case might be the USB connection (unless it's type-C or thunderbolt based)

Not sure why the bottleneck would be the USB connection. Even USB 2 has a max bitrate of 480Mb/s so even if you take into account the bus access restraints which tends to drop it down to 280Mb/s that would still be way more than needed to play back a UHD Blu-ray

that's why i said MIGHT be ;) Not that it would be or there even be one.

Can someone explain to me why you must have a kaby lake processor for PowerDVD17?

Strictly speaking you don't. Some Skylake processors support Intel SGX too. However, only Kaby Lake processors have integrated GPUs that can decode H.265 so Skylake might struggle because you can't use a dedicated graphics card.

btw this is only if you plan to play 4K UHD discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Strictly speaking you don't. Some Skylake processors support Intel SGX too. However, only Kaby Lake processors have integrated GPUs that can decode H.265 so Skylake might struggle because you can't use a dedicated graphics card.

btw this is only if you plan to play 4K UHD discs.

btw, this whole 4K UHD requirements is in my opinion costing the studios more money because it deters people from buying the original discs and download rips on torrent sites instead, because the average Joe won't have the hardware to play them.

Back