• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HOW TO BE A LATIN LOVER vs. VLC (copy won't play)

GoAWest

I know this one went by a while ago. But kind of an interesting issue because the copy won't play in VLC but the original does.

Copied DVD (using AnyDVD 8.1.8.4, or 8.1.8.1; and CloneDVD 2.9.3.3) won't open with VLC 2.2.6; when the disk or folder is selected, the VLC window opens then immediately closes. I can open and play individual *.vob files within the \VIDEO_TS folder with VLC. With Windows Media Player the disc opens to a series of splash screens & previews before it reaches the movie selection screen; it then plays OK.

Original DVD opens with VLC (straight to movie selection screen; no splashes or previews) and plays fine. Windows Media Player behaves the same as above.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.1.8.4_Info_E_HOW_TO_BE_A_LATIN_LOVER.ziplog
    399.5 KB · Views: 2
Try playing it in a real DVD player like PowerDVD. If that works fine, then anydvd & CloneDVD did their job. Anything beyond simple video playback is beyond VLC. It's not a real DVD player.

Well, I understand your position (I've read it here before), but I find it interesting that the original & copy don't behave the same way with VLC. That suggests to me that they've structured the DVD in a way that is confusing AnyDVD+CloneDVD since the copy behaves differently. "Confusion" today = "Can't copy" tomorrow.

It has nothing to do with my position or personal view, and everything with troubleshooting. If the the rip made with anydvd plays fine in a real DVD player, anydvd did it's job. If the rip made by anydvd and used as source in CloneDVD produces a working CloneDVD output, then CloneDVD 2 did it's job too and it's a VLC issue

Well, I understand your position (I've read it here before), but I find it interesting that the original & copy don't behave the same way with VLC.
Really? You said you played the copy "from folder". I doubt you play the original "from folder".
To make a comparison, create an iso with CloneDVD. Mount the iso in VCD (don't play it with VLC!). Play the mounted iso.

All I meant is that, using VLC, I selected and tried to play the copied DVD using "Open Disc" or "Open Folder" (pointing at \VIDEO_TS on the DVD) -- in both cases VLC immediately opened & closed its video-play window (but didn't quit the program). I only tried "Open Disc" (played fine) but not "Open Folder" on the original DVD. I was able to "Open File" on the copied DVD and play individual *.vobs but then the whole movie wouldn't play in order automatically. No ripping to folder/file or ISOs involved. AnyDVD was running in all cases (playing or copying; original or copy).

Last edited:
And you still haven't done what we asked. Until you do, we get help you

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Oh well, I'm not going to. I don't care whether an ISO-creation-mount works or not. I clarified that "played the copy 'from folder'" referred to using that VLC menu command to play individual *.vobs as a test, not ripping anything to a folder using AnyDVD or CloneDVD.

The simple fact is that a "successful" AnyDVD+CloneDVD DVD copy didn't behave the same way as the original for playback with a particular program (VLC), so the copy wasn't 100% [perhaps related to the IFO; individual *.vobs played OK). So don't worry about it--I'm not asking for help, just reporting the issue. Tomorrow it will happen for another DVD that won't play back with an "approved" DVD player (e.g. PowerDVD) and you can fix that copy issue then.

Then we can't help you. Why did you post in the first place then if you're not doing to do what's needed to find out if there's a problem?

The simple fact is that a "successful" AnyDVD+CloneDVD DVD copy didn't behave the same way as the original for playback with a particular program (VLC),
That's the point, you don't have proven this "fact". VLC behaves differently, if you play "from disc", "from folder" or from "iso". To compare playback with the Original you need to make VLC work in the same way (from "disk").
But I don't care much. VLC sucks for disc playback anyway.

Wow, we're just not communicating. As I said in my original post "when the disk or folder is selected" not just when I "played the copy 'from folder'":

Use VLC to play original, "Open Disc" menu command, disc plays fine.
Use AnyDVD+CloneDVD to make copy [no errors, AnyDVD log posted], "Open Disc" menu command, VLC opens a play window but immediately closes it.

i.e. "make VLC work in the same way (from "disk")." Done, fact proven -- VLC behaves differently on the original vs. copy.

Unfortunately I mentioned, in passing, that I also tried VLC's "Open Folder" on the \VIDEO_TS folder of the copy (same VLC open & close playback window) and also "Open File" within the \VIDEO_TS of the copy (can play individual *.vobs). I'm sorry I mentioned those since you seem to have fixated on folders and VCD and ISOs and missed the simple fact above.

But people don't like VLC, VLC isn't a real DVD program, it's a VLC problem, .. So we're done with this one.

when using vlc to play a dvd from folder you do not select the VIDEO_TS folder you select the root for the movie, the folder above VIDEO_TS

Use VLC to play original, "Open Disc" menu command, disc plays fine.
Use AnyDVD+CloneDVD to make copy [no errors, AnyDVD log posted], "Open Disc" menu command, VLC opens a play window but immediately closes it.

i.e. "make VLC work in the same way (from "disk")." Done, fact proven -- VLC behaves differently on the original vs. copy.

Still, it would be interesting to know whether James‘ suggestion makes a difference or not.

Don't bother, he's not going to do anything

Back