• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which blu-ray drive is fastest for ripping [Pioneer, LG, or ASUS] Can you disable ultraquiet/riplock

silent bob

I'm interested in getting an internal blu-ray drive for ripping my blu-ray collection. That's all I really intend to use it for. I understand all newer models have the riplock feature, but I've been reading that some are capable of having UltraQuiet disabled to speed up the read, or they can be flashed with a different firmware. Can anyone give me advice on which to buy? LG BH16NS55? Pioneer BDR-2209? And how to disable or bypass this riplock 'feature?' What did you spend your $ on? Thanks all

Bypass it? You don't.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

I've got an 5 year old Plextor PX-LB950SA and a new Asus BW-16D1HT (€85) both with "original" firmware. Asus is the better one, especially in reading speed. I don't use the Plextor anymore. I ripped about 20 blu-ray's succesfully with the Asus and RedFox AnyDVD.

Plextor is an old design, based on LiteOns iHBS 212 2 and not known to be the fastest ;)

The Asus is a clone of the LG BH16NS40 and in some way faster

I just got a Pioneer BDR-2209. I like it a lot. Rip speed is as good as any LG or Lite-on I have ever used, but the best thing is it's so quiet. I barely know it's spinning !!

Same ripspeed but absoluty quiet?

Can´t believe that.

AFAIK the 2209 read 2x out of the box in quiet mode, you will need hours to read a BD DL.

At this speed all my drives will be quiet :)

Can´t believe that.

AFAIK the 2209 read 2x out of the box in quiet mode, you will need hours to read a BD DL.

I don't know anything about quiet mode. I didn't do anything to my drive other than set the region code and it rips very quiet. I used my LG WH16NS40 and my Pioneer BDR-2209 to Rip the same BD disk and both drives processed the disk in about 30min each. So that is my real world comparison and where I got my facts from. (y)

AFAIK quiet mode is the default with the 2209, at least with protected BD-movies. Theres a way to disable it, but you have only the choice quiet or fast, both together can not work.

How many GB have the BD you need 30 Min?

AFAIK quiet mode is the default with the 2209, at least with protected BD-movies. Theres a way to disable it, but you have only the choice quiet or fast, both together can not work.

How many GB have the BD you need 30 Min?

The test BD that I used for both the LG and Pioneer that took 30min was 44GB. I did a complete copy using CloneBD

Ran same test with another BD which was 31GB and both drives processed the disk in 22 min.. FYI

Last edited:
But CloneBD can only read non-protected BD, could it be?

Here some results with a protected 37GB-BD:

LG WH16NS58 1.V1: 26:20

LiteOn iHBS 112 2 PL06: 26:39

Pioneer BDR-208D 1.50: 37:07

Pioneer BDR-209D 1.34: 31:53

The 209 is very similar to the 2209, except the BDXL and Firmware (Quiet Mode with 2209)

Can´t believe that.

FYI. I even disabled the quiet mode with Pioneer's disk utility for the BDR-2209. It is still very quiet compared to other drives I have used. (y)

But CloneBD can only read non-protected BD, could it be?

Of course it can only read unprotected content, CloneBD is a 100% legal application. Adding decryption capabilities would put it in the same dangerous 'grey' area as AnyDVD and expose it to potential shutdown of elby. CloneDVD 2 can't read protected content either, same reason, same developers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

CloneDVD never read protected media ;) , no matter which version.

@DaGoatRancher

I have 3 Pio BDR, 4 LG BD-R, Liteon 112. Can´t say that the 209 is more quiet than my BH16NS55 at same speed, but both are more quiet than my Liteon.

CloneDVD never read protected media ;) , no matter which version.

@DaGoatRancher

I have 3 Pio BDR, 4 LG BD-R, Liteon 112. Can´t say that the 209 is more quiet than my BH16NS55 at same speed, but both are more quiet than my Liteon.

My Pioneer BDR-2209 is quieter than my LG WH16NS40 and they rip at about the same speed. The Pioneer is a little faster now that I disabled the quiet mode.

OK; can we just say your Pio is quieter than your LG :) ?

My rip times already posted, my both Pio are slower than my LG and Liteon

OK; can we just say your Pio is quieter than your LG :) ?

My rip times already posted, my both Pio are slower than my LG and Liteon

Sure I can agree with that. On the test BD I recently ripped with both drives, My LG was 2 minutes faster. (y)

Back