• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No Explaination Given

Beck38

In the newest version (8.1.8.0) some windows versions are no longer 'supported', yet no explaination is given. The versions 'excised' really make no sense (32bit is okay in Vista and 7, but not 64?).

I can think of only one reason, and it isn't good for Redfox. Don't make users who have stuck with you through thick and thin to jump ship now.

The explanation is given just fine if you read the changelog, and it wasn't in the newest version. That change was implemented because MICROSOFT made driver changes, and anydvd had to adapt. IT was implemented weeks ago in the 817x beta series.

- Change: Windows Vista 64 bit is no longer supported
Windows 7 64 bit only supported, if Service Pack 1 and
security update KB3033929 is installed
The installer will abort, if Vista 64 bit is detected or
if KB3033929 is not installed on Windows 7 64 bit.
This check can be disabled with the /NoSHA2check command
line parameter.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-8-1-8-0.73493
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/kb303392.73501/

I can think of only one reason, and it isn't good for Redfox.
Which reason are you thinking of?
The real reason is, that Microsoft hasn't updated the Vista 64 kernel to accept SHA2 signed drivers. Microsoft's Vista support has ended. Bye, bye, Vista 64. Vista 32 doesn't enforce signed drivers, so it still can be used. Same is true for Windows XP.
Windows 7 64bit is supported, if the SHA2 update from Microsoft is installed (KB3033929).

The explanation is given just fine if you read the changelog, and it wasn't in the newest version.
Actually the changelog doesn't give the reason. It just informs about the change.

That change was implemented because MICROSOFT made driver changes, and anydvd had to adapt.
Well, not really. The AnyDVD driver had a security vulnerability so a new driver was required. We can only sign the new driver with SHA2.

James had the best explanation; but everyone must realize that as it stands today, only Vista and Win7 are really the only Microsoft OS systems that are actually usable/stable, with Win8 basically abandoned and Win10 with enough serious problems (both actual and Microsoft 'invented') that no corporate plants, even in the Seattle area, will touch it.

Installing w/o a 'signed' driver ought to be a user option. I have several dozen programs running on my V64 machine that I was only able to install by bypassing the 'check'. My security is unaffected since I haven't relied on OS barriers to protect my machines (over 11) in at least 20 years, having had a double-gated multi-router trap system, backed up an extensive machine backup system hosted by multiple NAS machines. Folks can ask why Vista, but at the time MS had just released Win7 and was fixing all the original Vista problems quick time, and Win7 had some major problems worse than Vista.

Yes, way more than most folks could or would have, but like I said, it should be a user option. And yes, btw, I have a V32 machine w/ DVD/Bluray drives that I have Anydvd installed on, so at the end of the day, it won't 'stop' me from doing what I want to, but it is a hassle.

Yes, way more than most folks could or would have, but like I said, it should be a user option.
I'm not sure this came across: we couldn't if we wanted to. Not our choice. We have no old SHA1-base certificate, it expired, and we can't get one either.
New drivers need to be signed with the new SHA2 certificates.

The present distribution of Windows versions is (taken from www.netmarketshare.com for August 2017):
Windows 7: 53%
Windows 10: 31%
Windows 8: 9%
Windows XP: 6%
Windows Vista: 0.5%

I'm sorry, that you're in that 0.5% group, but clearly Vista is close to extinct.
I don't know, btw., how much of that 0.5% are 64bit, probably somewhere around 0.3% or less, considering that when Vista came out, 64 bit processors were just getting started...

Installing w/o a 'signed' driver ought to be a user option.
It is. If you disable driver signature enforcement in Vista 64, you can install AnyDVD with the command line option mentioned in the changelog (/NoSHA2check)

It is. If you disable driver signature enforcement in Vista 64, you can install AnyDVD with the command line option mentioned in the changelog (/NoSHA2check)

Perhapse redfox can provide a download of the last Vista64 compatible version for the few that still use the os ? (In the forum or under eol software)

And expose users to a possible exploit? Not going to happen. James said what's needed to install on Vista x64. Disable driver signature enforcement for a moment, install with the /NoSHA2check, done. Reactivate driver signing enforcement.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

And expose users to a possible exploit? Not going to happen. James said what's needed to install on Vista x64. Disable driver signature enforcement for a moment, install with the /NoSHA2check, done. Reactivate driver signing enforcement.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Yes I understand on the other hand Vista itself is a possible exploit nowadays as AnyDVD 7.6.x (quite a bummer) if I understand correctly.

Last edited:
@James

is this possible driver issue also present in AnyDVD 7.6.x ?
Which issue? The security exploit? It is present in all previous AnyDVD versions with the SHA1 signed driver.

Well that 0.5% have something to try then :)
Signature is checked at load time, so if you reactivate driver signature enforcement after installing with it disabled, it will refuse to load AnyDVD's driver next time you boot/start AnyDVD.
You need to either permanently disable driver signature enforcement, or re-sign AnyDVD's driver yourself with a test certificate and then enable test signing (or upgrade to a supported OS ;)).

Back