• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

300 Movie - Hardly any protection

Rodster

Hi all

I was a bit shocked when a latest released 300 DVD comes out on the market and has hardly any copy protection. No invalid VOBU's, no Puppetlock / ArCCos, no bad sectors etc. This is a Warner Brothers release.

Ive noticed this with a few movies, maybe the companies are realising that all their fancy and expensive methods of copy protections are not working and therefore are only putting the basic (RPC) protection on, unless AnyDVD is hiding the other info. I believe AnyDVD does show all protections on DVD's.

Below is the info on 300

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1488128 sectors (2906 MBytes)
Total size: 2965293 sectors (5791 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: 300
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 4!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 4!

Rodney

Hi all

I was a bit shocked when a latest released 300 DVD comes out on the market and has hardly any copy protection. No invalid VOBU's, no Puppetlock / ArCCos, no bad sectors etc. This is a Warner Brothers release.

Ive noticed this with a few movies, maybe the companies are realising that all their fancy and expensive methods of copy protections are not working and therefore are only putting the basic (RPC) protection on, unless AnyDVD is hiding the other info. I believe AnyDVD does show all protections on DVD's.

Below is the info on 300

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 1488128 sectors (2906 MBytes)
Total size: 2965293 sectors (5791 MBytes)

Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 4!

Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 4!

Rodney
That's Region 4 though. I bet it is different in Region 1.

Exactly. Welcome to R4. The region where hardly any copy-protection can be seen ;).

Exactly. Welcome to R4. The region where hardly any copy-protection can be seen ;).

I thought that no matter what region the DVD is encoded, they would use the same protection layout as its cheaper for them. There doesnt seemt to be any logical point of making Region 1 tougher (theoretically) to crack then Region 4. Just use one layout for all regions.

Rodney

I thought that no matter what region the DVD is encoded, they would use the same protection layout as its cheaper for them. There doesnt seemt to be any logical point of making Region 1 tougher (theoretically) to crack then Region 4. Just use one layout for all regions.

Rodney
But different regions of the same movie do have different protections, it does make sense since the movie would be more likely to be copied in some places than others.

But different regions of the same movie do have different protections, it does make sense since the movie would be more likely to be copied in some places than others.

Oh well have learnt a few tricks :) Looks like Australia has the best system from what I can see. Most of the latest dvd released here have hardly any protection at all except for the basic ones.

Rodney

Oh well have learnt a few tricks :) Looks like Australia has the best system from what I can see. Most of the latest dvd released here have hardly any protection at all except for the basic ones.

Rodney
Good to hear. Some DVDs had so much protection they violated the DVD standard and wouldn't even play in some players.

Good to hear. Some DVDs had so much protection they violated the DVD standard and wouldn't even play in some players.

Imagine the uproar over that, companies trying to jam so much protection onto the DVD that the thing wont even play - someone would surely be sacked for that trick. Plus most home dvd players dont allow firmware updates.

Rodney

Imagine the uproar over that, companies trying to jam so much protection onto the DVD that the thing wont even play - someone would surely be sacked for that trick. Plus most home dvd players dont allow firmware updates.

Rodney
HD-DVD players allow firmware updates though. :clap:

HD-DVD players allow firmware updates though. :clap:

I agree, i use the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player which can also be used on a computer via usb and the drivers are available - then you can rip HD-DVD straight to your PC :) Where there is a will there is a way :)

Problem is with two so-called competing standards - Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, until one player supports both, economically its not worthwhile for the customer. I think Blu-Ray is winning at the moment. Its a wait and see and the hardware is getting cheaper - I already own a PS3.

Rodney

Rodney
I have a few retail DVDs with no CSS protection. I guess it is good but sometimes I wish I had a DVD with a whole lot of protection on it.

Good to see another Brisvegas person here!

I agree, i use the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player which can also be used on a computer via usb and the drivers are available - then you can rip HD-DVD straight to your PC :) Where there is a will there is a way :)

Problem is with two so-called competing standards - Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, until one player supports both, economically its not worthwhile for the customer. I think Blu-Ray is winning at the moment. Its a wait and see and the hardware is getting cheaper - I already own a PS3.

Rodney
They have a hybrid player out there that can play both. I think I saw it going for $1100 or $1000.

Distribution

Films in different regions of the world have different distributors that provide them to theatres I beleive the same is true with DVD's different country different protections. The same used to be true of recorded music especially in the days of the Black Vinyl Disc.

There doesnt seemt to be any logical point of making Region 1 tougher (theoretically) to crack then Region 4. Just use one layout for all regions.
Actually, it makes perfect sense. In the USA there's this big corrupt organization called the MPAA. Actually, they're more like a union.. a big corrupt union that represents the film and music industries, and makes court-cases against individuals as well as pushes for tougher copyright laws, etc. The MPAA loves the idea of tougher protections, but they only care about what goes on in America. They'd probably be more involved in the goings on in overseas disc publication... but since Americans usually don't purchase imported DVD's they just don't care. Australian DVD publishers don't really give a crap what the MPAA goes on about in America (nor do the studios - their clients).

Did you know that even though every DVD player must support both PAL and NTSC as standard (and always have), American online retailers still use erroneous disclaimers "This DVD is formatted NTSC, an NTSC DVD player is required to play this movie".
Only so much that it's far more likely to be copied in Australia (onto blank media that is not taxed to studios unlike what you have in the US) then it is in America.

Anyone out there have a Region 1 300 DVD to compare the copy protection?

Rodney

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0C 2004/08/27 17:53
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 1820848 sectors (3556 MBytes)
Total size: 3641684 sectors (7112 MBytes)

Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

That's interesting... considering they were the first to use RCE, not to mention in Australia they lost a court case agains their two-teir marketing (the would print "this disc is not for rental" onto their disc which is illegal).

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0C 2004/08/27 17:53
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 1820848 sectors (3556 MBytes)
Total size: 3641684 sectors (7112 MBytes)

Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!
That's not region 1. But still, little protection on Region 2 as well.

Back