• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Plextor PX-760A & Duo Core 2

tmckin1211

I just installed a new Plextor PX-760A for my new Duo Core 2 computer seeing I was having problems with the Plextor 810SA. My problems just increased, I hooked it up to Master, PATA and nothing, I changed the jumper to Cable Select and it now reads. I then tried to copy a movie, the burner said it would take 184 minutes to write, after twenty minutes and only at 5% I figure something not right. I am using Verbatim 18X DVD-R. Now I am totally lost on what to do. Help! :confused:

13. My burns are taking forever to complete suddenly. Why?

a) Is DMA enabled for your drives in
i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

b) Is the original source disc bad? If so, the reading process will take longer.
Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

c) Did you select an appropriate burn speed in Clonedvd? Obviously 4x is going to take longer than 12x.

d) Try another cable on the back of your burner (try an 80 wire cable if you have an ide burner). Maybe your existing cable has gone bad.

e) Try defragmenting your hard drive.

f) Ensure speed control is unchecked in Anydvd (or at least, ensure "Slow and Quiet" is not enabled).

13. My burns are taking forever to complete suddenly. Why?

i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

b) Is the original source disc bad? If so, the reading process will take longer.
Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

c) Did you select an appropriate burn speed in Clonedvd? Obviously 4x is going to take longer than 12x.

d) Try another cable on the back of your burner (try an 80 wire cable if you have an ide burner). Maybe your existing cable has gone bad.

e) Try defragmenting your hard drive.

f) Ensure speed control is unchecked in Anydvd (or at least, ensure "Slow and Quiet" is not enabled).

I am using XP, I have no idea how to turn on or off DMA.

The source disc was good, burned perfectly on the Sony.

CloneDVD2 is set at maxinum.

Already replaced cable that was my first thought when it was set on master.

Defrag computer last night.

AnyDvd speed is checked, but not "Slow and Quiet", I am getting the feeling I got SCRE... on the burner.

Performed scandisc with Nero, in the Sony burner the disc is fine. Everything is pointing at the Plextor, again, unless the DMA is off or something. When I changed the jumper to Cable Select it reading Slave that does not seem right to me. All Hard Drives and other burner are SATA, it shouuld of worked on Master, right?

To check for DMA, go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

1. (click the appropriate link)
i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

2. The PX-760a requires an 80 wire ide cable. Ensure you're not use a 40 wire ide cable.

ide8040pin.jpg
(from Mikeshardware.com)

For the 80 wire cable . . .
Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".

1. (click the appropriate link)
i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

2. The PX-760a requires an 80 wire ide cable. Ensure you're not use a 40 wire ide cable.

ide8040pin.jpg
(from Mikeshardware.com)

For the 80 wire cable . . .
Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".

The DMA is set Ultra 5 ..

Please confirm Burner setting if running straight from the IDE port to the Burner, not any other devies. Master or Slave? On Master it did not read or write, on Cable Select it reading Slave it can read and burns very, very slowly.

I do not have the 80 pin cable, neither does my other computers that has two Plextors, is this is because I am using a Duo Core? I just used the one that came with the burner.

Last edited:

Please confirm Burner setting if running straight from the IDE port to the Burner, not any other devies. Master or Slave? On Master it did read or write on Cable Select it reading Slave it can read and burns very, very slowly.

I do not have the 80 pin cable, neither does my other computer that has two Plextors, is this is because I am using a Duo Core? I just used the one that came with the burner.
PX760A needs 80 wire though.

Last edited:
I going up to Bestbuy and get a 80 pin. Seeing no other device is attach to the strap what color go where and what should I set the jumper Master or Slave?

I going up to Bestbuy and get a 80 pin. Seeing no other device is attach to the strap what color go where and what should I set the jumper Master or Slave?

80 wire--not pin . . .

Master.

Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master"

You most likely already have 80 wire cable. If the MOBO, that you are using the dual core CPU on, come with IDE cable(s)...........they are 80 wire.

Please confirm Burner setting if running straight from the IDE port to the Burner, not any other devies. Master or Slave? On Master it did not read or write, on Cable Select it reading Slave it can read and burns very, very slowly.

I do not have the 80 pin cable, neither does my other computers that has two Plextors, is this is because I am using a Duo Core? I just used the one that came with the burner.

The cable that came with the Plextor is an 80 wire.

I just used the one that came with the burner.

I missed reading that part, sorry. Yes, the cable that comes with the PX-760a is an 80 wire cable.

If setting the jumper to master--and installing the cable properly doesn't help, the next thing I would look at is your filters.

1. a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

2. And you may want to try ensuring you're using the standard ide busmaster drivers. Visit http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1455402&postcount=3

3. Also Plextor has toll-free technical support. You may want to try calling them to see what they say.

Last edited:
I missed reading that part, sorry. Yes, the cable that comes with the PX-760a is an 80 wire cable.

If setting the jumper to master--and installing the cable properly doesn't help--the next thing I would look at is your filters.

Also Plextor has toll-free technical support. You may want to try calling them to see what they say.
He already left for Best Buy. :(

Well I purchased a 80 wire strap and spoke to the Geek Squad there. He actually worked for Slyfoft 2 or 3 years ago, so he was very familar with the Slysoft products. After hooking up the burner with new strap/cable the problem did not go away. I took the computer back up to him and he said that there was something wrong with 760A, he installed another make IDE burner and it worked fine. At this point Plextor and I have parted company, they maybe were on top of the game prior to the Duo Core 2 and the Intel chipset. Unfornately, Plextor and I were not made for each other. I quess what really got me was the 80 wire cable cost me $29.00 and then nothing. Unless anyone any other suggestions the 760A is heading for file 13 tomorrow.
:mad:

P.S. I am the proud owner of (3) Plextor 810SA and (1) Plextor 760A all with problems.

Last edited:
Well I purchased a 80 wire strap and spoke to the Geek Squad there. He actually worked for Slyfoft 2 or 3 years ago, so he was very familar with the Slysoft products. After hooking up the burner with new strap/cable the problem did not go away. I took the computer back up to him and he said that there was something wrong with 760A, he installed another make IDE burner and it worked fine. At this point Plextor and I have parted company, they maybe were on top of the game prior to the Duo Core 2 and the Intel chipset. Unfornately, Plextor and I were not made for each other. I quess what really got me was the 80 wire cable cost me $29.00 and then nothing. Unless anyone any other suggestions the 760A is heading for file 13 tomorrow.
:mad:

P.S. I am the proud owner of (3) Plextor 810SA and (1) Plextor 760A all with problems.
You can take the 80 wire back. Is the Plextor 760A still under 30 day return policy?

Actually I purchased the Samsung he tried so I will keep the cable. Customer Service is not open until Monday, even then it took me nearly an hour to get to place the order. If you remember I originally order the 716A, which they had to replace it with the 760A.

Back