• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Troubles Backing Up A Couple Of Discs

HiJumpr111

Hi all,

I am very pleased with this program thus far. I had previously been a user of 321's DVD XCopy and I believe this one to be a bit superior.

However, I have encountered a couple of problems:

#1 As a math teacher, I was hopig to make back-ups of a Calculus Instructional DVD Series I own. It is a 4-disc package. I currently own 2 such sets but they under go heavy use as I will occasionally allow a student to borrow a disc if need be. When trying to backup any one of the 8 discs, I always get the Cyclic Redundancy Error which I am assuming is due to hevy scratches on the disc. I will admit they are pretty bad--although they seem to play alright for the most part. But as I understand it, just because they play OK doesn't mean they will read OK prior to their burn.
I have used a "Disk Doctor" resurfacing tool on a couple of the discs only to still receive the CRE message.
I'm curious as to whether either of the following could be solutions to my problem:

a. I know this sounds crazy, but I have heard of peole who actually submerged their scratched discs into boiling water for 2 minutes only to discover that they come come out good as new. Unless anyone can substantiate this, I am quite relectant to try this.

or

b. I am fairly certain that I have had a student or two in the past succesfully make a copy of these discs -- (using some other program that I do not recall.) Can AnyDVD and CloneDVD make a copy of a copy?

#2 My second issue is with trying to backup either of the discs in the Kissology II set. (I know Calculus and Kiss are quite opposite ends of the spectrum). I don't know exactly what the error message is that I get as I am not at my personal PC right now. But I do recall it has something to do with the size of the disc being too big for the writable media I was using.
I figure if I purchased Dual Layer DVDs and set the menu accordingly I'd be OK, yet I still get this message when trying to copy. The actual discs are Verbatim DVD +R DL.

Here is my AnyDVD description of the Kissology DVD:
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.0)
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B 0017 0BGCA03/05/23
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1810352 sectors (3535 MBytes)
Total size: 2583378 sectors (5045 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: KISSOLOGY_VOL2_DISC1
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Thanks for your patience in reading this rant....any suggestions reagarding either case would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
When trying to backup any one of the 8 discs, I always get the Cyclic Redundancy Error which I am assuming is due to hevy scratches on the disc.

Yes

I know this sounds crazy, but I have heard of peole who actually submerged their scratched discs into boiling water for 2 minutes only to discover that they come come out good as new.

I'm not convinced that's a good idea.

Can AnyDVD and CloneDVD make a copy of a copy?

Any disc that is unprotected can be backed up by practically any burning software--provided the discs aren't damaged (or poorly burned). I can't answer this question further. Others may be able to.

#2 The actual discs are Verbatim DVD +R DL.

1. Select "dvd-9" near the quality bar in Clonedvd. read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully

2. Actually, I would use this method instead:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

a. I know this sounds crazy, but I have heard of peole who actually submerged their scratched discs into boiling water for 2 minutes only to discover that they come come out good as new. Unless anyone can substantiate this, I am quite relectant to try this.
That should be a last resort.

@ HiJumpr111,

Welcome to the Forum.

Concerning your Calculus Instructional DVD Series ->

You could try the AnyDVD-CloneCD combination and see if CloneCD is able to work through the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error problem.

You could also try the DVD Decrypter-CloneCD combination and see if DVD Decrypter is able to work through the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error problem. DVD Decrypter is very good at working through Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error problem caused by disk scratches.

Some Forum Members have recommended IsoPuzzle for scratched Disks ->

http://www.geocities.com/marsoupilamis

Repairing scratched CD/DVD’s ->

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/scratches.html

I personally would not recommend attempting to use Boiling Water to somehow revive your scratched DVDs.

Regards,
Coaster

Back