• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.
So you have mkv files, maybe that's a difference I use BD ISO files.
That could certianly be the problem. My audio is cutting off and on with zune marketplace software when listening to a podcast. Not sure why, it must be the kind of audio u play that cuts out with the motherboard sound chips. Hopefully asrock will fix this soon. I will write to them about it. I haven't received a replay yet about your problem but should soon. Dude from asrock said he was contacting HQ with the problem.

That could certianly be the problem. My audio is cutting off and on with zune marketplace software when listening to a podcast. Not sure why, it must be the kind of audio u play that cuts out with the motherboard sound chips. Hopefully asrock will fix this soon. I will write to them about it. I haven't received a replay yet about your problem but should soon. Dude from asrock said he was contacting HQ with the problem.
Hey Gizzmo and Etc, I'm also having problems with mkv 4k video files. They are pretty choppy. I have a 3.4 ghz i5 processor. I would think that would be fast enough. I guess I need to mess with settings in Bios. I may need a 4.2 ghz processor. Thanks, just wondering.

I would like to get a slim drive (can be slotted or tray slim 4k drive) as the case I have coming is an OrigenAE S10v (very short and only takes a slim drive but not limited to slotted). The best option is to wait for the PowerDVD software to be released along with the necessary drivers, then try some drives at that point from places that take returns.
True, that's a very nice looking case u have coming or have u got it yet. I am having trouble with 4k mkv video files being very choppy. Do u have any u can try? How fast is your CPU? Mine is an i5 3.4ghz. Also having trouble with an older computer game being sluggish. Do I need to mess with the settings in the Bios or get a 4.2ghz CPU? Not sure at this point. Thanks.

Hi Gizzmo, all the mkv movies I tried are sending the right signal. I tried DTS HS MA and Dolby True HD. I'm trying to get Itunes DD to work now using the optical port. For some reason Itunes requires an optical hook up. Do you or anyone know how to get around that? It must be a driver conflict with yours. I'd try reinstalling the drivers.
I got ITunes to work using the HDMI hookup so now if I can just get an older pc game to not be so sluggish and my mkv 4k video files to not be so choppy.

Sounds like a codec issue? Maybe try one of the mkv info tools, then google once you find out what encoding is being used for video. Mine plays 4k Netflix flawlessly. Also, if you are playing over the network, I would make sure you have proper throughput.

Case is here, it does look really nice. I'm waiting to put my 4k oled in my theater; I have to modify things a bit to fit TV and center both. Hoping sound will work well using either the DP or Thunderbolt 3 adapter as my processor is only HDMI 1.4.

True, that's a very nice looking case u have coming or have u got it yet. I am having trouble with 4k mkv video files being very choppy. Do u have any u can try? How fast is your CPU? Mine is an i5 3.4ghz. Also having trouble with an older computer game being sluggish. Do I need to mess with the settings in the Bios or get a 4.2ghz CPU? Not sure at this point. Thanks.

Hi Etc, is your processor an i5? I saw 1.4 on the specs of my CPU but it says it will do 60hz. I looked at the i7s and they say 1.4 too. I didn't understand that. Which one will do HDMI 2.0? The sound is fine on my rig just those videos and the older game that I thought would run good with a quad CPU. Any thoughts on that? Thanks man.

Really interesting thread. My computer plays UHD BDs already, yet I am still curious about other people's progress on this field. It was not easy for my wallet, but in the end I decided to do exactly what CyberLink suggests and I bought new compatible components in order to use the drive from Pioneer. My previous PC was old and not very powerful, so I needed to replace it anyway. However I totally agree with many people here: the UHD BD playback is not worth it if you have - say - less than 2 years old X99 or Z170. My first BD drive was also from Pioneer, their (probably) first model at that time. It was equipped with an IDE connector, not SATA, and it was capable of burning BDs at 2x. I needed to wait almost a year before I could afford stronger CPU and GPU to be actually able to watch BD movies. So this situation is old news for me and I expected some troubles since December 2015 when I started to read about upcoming UHD discs in February. I knew from the beginning I will buy everything needed to make it work and I did it. I was playing with the idea of buying Ryzen or wait for Intel X299 and then I simply gave up and bought Z270.
I noticed many of you found our thread at blu-ray.com, where we discuss similar matters. Again and again the same questions. If you don't mind, this is how I see the whole thing now:

Software
CyberLink PowerDVD is the only solution. I doubt the other BD software companies will ever get the licence. Currently only custom PDVD 14 bundled with Japanese and US Pioneer drives is working. The leaked PDVD 17 is not and its startup screen does not show the UHD BD logo (actually almost no logos at all). This will change in April, when the retail version comes out.

View attachment 32968

Support
Do not ask for any support. You will get either a worthless generic answer or nothing (ASUS, ASRock, CyberLink etc.). Unfortunately the only country where a customer's satisfaction is above all, is Japan. Pioneer Japan answers polite, to the point and within 2 days.

Drive
Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK, BDR-S11J-X, BDR-211UBK and BDR-XD06J-UHD (external) are obviously OK and it seems much older LG notebook drives BU40N and BU50N are too. Now when CyberLink UHD BD Advisor is here, everybody can test their LG BH16NS55 or anything else and see if it is compatible or not. I doubt it and I also doubt any update can make it work. LG wants to sell new drives, not give you an update for free.

Motherboard
List of possibly compatible mobos is here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108 The motherboard's BIOS must support SGX and it must be enabled manually because the default setting is probably Disabled. It also needs additional Intel software downloadable from the motherboard's support page.

CPU
KabyLake i5 or i7 with IGPU 630/640. There are some SGX compatible SkyLake CPUs with S in the code, but these should not work.

GPU
Only the IGPU above is available now. Any graphics card will ruin the secure environment, even if it is HDCP 2.2 compatible. If the motherboard has dual BIOS, it is possible to set one to use with a graphics card and the other with the IGPU.

HDR
As far as I know 4k HDR monitors are not available yet, the first are coming from LG (one model) Acer (one model) and ASUS (two models) this year.

View attachment 32969
Share liitle secret to get hdr..... goto misc in options. Set brightness 0 contrast 24 saturation 24 and hue 0. Set filters to custom presenter and enable directx mode check below. Set lauch full screen set 4k res 24fps so tv will switch. Set hdmi to enhanced (which is hdcp2.2) and run rx470 card and enjoy hdr.

Ive been testing 4k hdr material for the past week. Best way is to download hdr10bit sample . Windows built in media and movie player can now read meta data in hdr file. I just set mpc to match hdr perfect. You can export reg settings for hdr. Export default color settings for bluray. When you load hdr material dbl click on mpc.reg for hdr. Loading bluray click on defaultmpc.reg file. Simple and easy. Currently looking into xml and pascal to automatically swith in kodi with mpc for hdr material and hd material. This is done in meta file but i just did it manually with regristry settings. Many have overlooked the simple concept of hdr. High dynamic range....hi contrast hi saturation. A tip move them at the same value. Leave britness and hue at 0! Enioy.......

By the way true uhd hdr looks like flat log footage in its raw form and as you increase CONTRAST and SATURATION the log file comes alive displaying hdr in all its glory.

Last edited:
My processor is amd 3 x4 on 8 year old motherboard. Gpu acceleration is the key to 4k. Rx460 470 480 cards and kaby lake have speed to off load 4k to gpu and use maybe 10-20% of cpu. 4k runs like butter. My rx card has hdmi options for rgb 444 rgb limited yuv422 420 as well. The only way you can unlock these options is to enable enchanced mode on hdmi on your hdr tv that has minimum of hdmi 2.0a. My rx card sees my tvs hdmi and unlocks these color specs for 4k. This is exciting seeing this on an 8 year old pc. For me to run 4k i run 4k in mpc custom presenter with dtsdecoder.dll and use rca 7.1 into my 7.1 in on my denon amp(non hdmi) and run pure 4k hdmi in to the hdr tv. I get the best of both worlds. Guess offloading the audio frees up all the 18g of hdmi 2.0 bandwith for video only.

Forgot to mention. Set lav filter to hardware gpu. This will vary from nevida to radeon to intel. If your running rx card try copyback and if that does not work try other. Press ctrl j in mpc to see if hardware acceleration in on. When i run an hdr 10 bit file custom presenterwill switch color spec to xbrblah blah.then back to yuv420 for bluray. In mpc a tip. You can enter forced hdr meta data where it days dc3 and you can display the proper hdr levels that way too. Use media info to see the meta data numbers to enter here. This is loacted in madvr panel in display section. You can find hdr section there. By the way some of those hdr youtube videos are bullshit. Hdr is not blood red colors! It is contrast exposure and shadow exposure at the same time with some color pop but nothing like those fake hdr youtube uploads. Crank up the yellow blu and red geez

Hdr has been verified by other members on here that my mpc tips do match hdr on a uhd player on pc. I think hdr makes movies look better in overall tone when moving from hi contrast clips to night clips. You can even enable manual hdr in sony xbr 850+ tvs or resort to vivid mode. Hdr on with contrast 24 sat 24 download free oled jazz demo 4k and watch it. With tv hdr on be warned desktop is washed out. But the video explodes with color zand maintaing SKIN color not like fake jazz youtube hdr upload. Its so bright the stage lights look like looking into a light in the dark but the colors are rich and great shadow detail, no banding and even at extreme contrast levels the skinntones look perfect. Think this is an amazing breakthru for mpc users and will be for kodi once I write xml script to switch contrast and saturation levels when hdr is enabled in a playback option in kodis interface for playback. ;) When I get it working ill share the files with everyone.

So got a firmwareupdate for the HDMI onboard chip yesterday, from ASRock
support. Had only short time to test, but this seems to solve my HD Audiostream
issue. But the 3D Blu-ray playback is still broken for me. All switches correctly
with KODI MVC build, but I get a picture with black, white and colored stripes.
It looks like a HDCP issue I saw in some other systems, but here I see the video
in background, normally if it is a HDCP issue you don't.
With PowerDVD 15 the software can't switch to 3D. It shows a message that the
HDMI 1.4 etc. monitor can't be recognized (something like that).

So got a firmwareupdate for the HDMI onboard chip yesterday, from ASRock
support. Had only short time to test, but this seems to solve my HD Audiostream
issue. But the 3D Blu-ray playback is still broken for me. All switches correctly
with KODI MVC build, but I get a picture with black, white and colored stripes.
It looks like a HDCP issue I saw in some other systems, but here I see the video
in background, normally if it is a HDCP issue you don't.
With PowerDVD 15 the software can't switch to 3D. It shows a message that the
HDMI 1.4 etc. monitor can't be recognized (something like that).
Hey Gizzmo, I'm glad to hear you got your bitstreaming issue fixed. I would contact Cyberlink with that error and ask. I don't have a 3d tv so I'm not very knowledgeable about 3d, sry. Have you heard what the date is on the pioneer drive to be available here in the US? Pioneer in US said they don't have a date yet. Just wondering if any one knows? Thanks.

I am not from the US, so didn't check releasedate there. Honestly even didn't check
it for the EU at the moment. I am still working with ASRock, Intel and Club3D on the
issues mainly for BD 3D playback. The other issues seem to be solved at the moment.

Maybe good idea to try to bring Cyberlink into the game, will try to.

Thanks ccutrer! (post #272)

With your instructions, I was able to enable SGX on a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, BIOS F8. Basically entails in downloading the SGX SDK and I also found the PNW and example code. With the example code, I pasted your snippet below into the main function, compiled and stepped through in Visual Studio and to my amazement it worked as well. Bonus is that I am running on an i3-6100 as well. I believe this processor was released much after the S-spec change, which is why it is enabled for SGX to begin with.

That being said, Kaby Lake (7th Gen Intel processor) seems to indeed be actually required for Ultra HD Blu-Ray playback. After switching from an i3-6100 to an i3-7100 on the same Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard now running on latest BIOS F21, Cyberlink's advisor reports a 'Pass' on Advanced Protected Audio Video Path (GPU), whereas this was not the case when having the i3-6100 installed.

The only 'Not Available' I have remaining is the HDCP 2.2 (on the display side) and of course the actual UHD-BD drive which I do not have yet. One last thing I will get is a Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4, which presumably would enable a pass on the HDCP 2.2 category.

I finally got SGX enabled according to the Cyberlink Ultra HD Blu-Ray Advisor, which a royal pain the butt, so I thought I'd document how I did it here.

Code:
    sgx_status_t status;
    sgx_device_status_t device_status;
    int capable;
    status = sgx_is_capable(&capable);
    status = sgx_cap_enable_device(&device_status);

Response seen in a Live Ubuntu distribution now:
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ /cdrom/sgx
eax: 506e3 ebx: 100800 ecx: 7ffafbbf edx: bfebfbff
stepping 3
model 14
family 6
processor type 0
extended model 5
extended family 0
smx: 0

Extended feature bits (EAX=07H, ECX=0H)
eax: 0 ebx: 29c67af ecx: 0 edx: 0
sgx available: 1

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 0 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=0)
eax: 1 ebx: 0 ecx: 0 edx: 241f
sgx 1 supported: 1
sgx 2 supported: 0
MaxEnclaveSize_Not64: 1f
MaxEnclaveSize_64: 24

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 1 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=1)
eax: 36 ebx: 0 ecx: 1f edx: 0

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 2 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=2)
eax: 40200001 ebx: 0 ecx: 5d80001 edx: 0

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 3 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=3)
eax: 0 ebx: 0 ecx: 0 edx: 0

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 4 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=4)

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 5 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=5)

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 6 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=6)

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 7 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=7)

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 8 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=8)

CPUID Leaf 12H, Sub-Leaf 9 of Intel SGX Capabilities (EAX=12H,ECX=9)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Core
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

Last edited:
I am not from the US, so didn't check releasedate there. Honestly even didn't check
it for the EU at the moment. I am still working with ASRock, Intel and Club3D on the
issues mainly for BD 3D playback. The other issues seem to be solved at the moment.

Maybe good idea to try to bring Cyberlink into the game, will try to.
Sounds good, they should be able to tell u what to do about 3D. Also, have u tried MPC-HC to play your movies?

Last edited:
hi guys, I am new here but not new to Powerdvd. I am so exited for version 17 but I have a hard time to understand the requirements for ultra hd blu-ray playback. My HTPC handles 4k videos from my cameras and mp4 and mkv files from the net just fine. I have a GTX960 connected via HDMI to my LG OLED 4k TV. I run the audio seperately through my ASUS Essence STX II because I want good audio and my stereo amplifier has no digital inputs or whatsoever. So I want to go straight into my amplifier from the PC. I will not let my TV do the digital to analog conversion...
So, my mainboard and CPU are old but there is my GTX960. Will it be enough for playing back Ultra 4k blu-rays? (I have a blu-ray XL drive of course).
THX for clearing things up for me.

So, my mainboard and CPU are old but there is my GTX960. Will it be enough for playing back Ultra 4k blu-rays? (I have a blu-ray XL drive of course).

No, unless you buy a brand new PC(or upgrade to) an intel 7th gen processor(kaby Lake) and a Z270 motherboard you will not be able to play 4k blu-ray

GTX960 also useless for 4k blu-ray playback must use the igpu built into intel 7th gen processor

(I have a blu-ray XL drive of course).

Unless you also have one of the new Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK or BDR-S11J-X drives then chances are your current drive will not allow 4k Blu-ray playback

Last edited:
No, unless you buy a brand new PC(or upgrade to) an intel 7th gen processor(kaby Lake) and a Z270 motherboard you will not be able to play 4k blu-ray

GTX960 also useless for 4k blu-ray playback must use the igpu built into intel 7th gen processor

Unless you also have one of the new Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK or BDR-S11J-X drives then chances are your current drive will not allow 4k Blu-ray playback

Thanks for the heads up. My blu-ray drive shows the content of the disc. Am I at least safe with my drive or do I need a new drive as well?
I can only imagine the shitstorm when Powerdvd 17 comes out and people want 4k blu-ray playback and it doesn't work on most systems...

No. I listed everything you need in post #321 (two pages back). It is not a question of computing power, no high-end graphics card is necessary. It is a question of secure path for the protected A/V signal.

Optional items you may want:
A HDR monitor (coming Q2/2017) or TV
A graphics card supporting HDCP/SGX/HDR (Q3/2017 probably)

Edit: Your drive is useless too, but it is the cheapest item on the list. The mobo and CPU (and possibly other things like new DDR4 or M.2 SSD) are costly.

Last edited:
hi guys, I am new here but not new to Powerdvd. I am so exited for version 17 but I have a hard time to understand the requirements for ultra hd blu-ray playback. My HTPC handles 4k videos from my cameras and mp4 and mkv files from the net just fine. I have a GTX960 connected via HDMI to my LG OLED 4k TV. I run the audio seperately through my ASUS Essence STX II because I want good audio and my stereo amplifier has no digital inputs or whatsoever. So I want to go straight into my amplifier from the PC. I will not let my TV do the digital to analog conversion...
Hi boss, Triffid is right, I have a drive that reads the content on the uhd bluray but it don't pass in the cyberlink uhd advisor. I'm hoping the 4k drive will be released in the US Tuesday.

Back