• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lifetime license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Fox

I'd like to find out what does "Lifetime" license means -- is it until someone decides that the income needs a boost? How many "lifetime" licenses will I need to purchase and how often? What recourse do I have if the "lifetime" license proves to be for the arbitrary period until the product or the company changes hands or the CEO or CFO decides that "lifetime" expired? Am I going to just get coned again? Please tell me the parameters of "lifetime" license.

Attachments

• Forever registration RedFox.PNG
    Forever registration RedFox.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 19
Lifetime of the software which expired the old company went out of business simple as that..and the new owners an devlopers decided after we just about begged them to continue we now have redfox and I was one of the first to buy Anydvd once again two lifetime licenses so I could help support the new project.

Support Redfox or not that is your decision for me it was a no brainer and no one got Conned.

I would not mind, except the smell is bad. Why RedFox is protected from MPAA / AACS-LA but Slysoft was not? Am I going to fork over the money for a lifetime license, only to wake up tomorrow and have to buy it yet again to support "BlackFox.bz"'s AnyDVD? I prefer to deal with verifiable, transparent situations, so I can make rational decisions. This is besides the fact that unlike you I cannot afford the multiple licenses, neither together nor serially.

Sure, the story of demise of Slysoft at the hands MPAA / AACS-LA may be true, but in that case I want to know how is RedFox.bz protected from a similar fate. I really do not want to buy another lifetime license that will go down the toilet in six months or a year from now because RedFox.bz. is replaced by BlackFox.bz.

Also, PLEASE NOTE, that RedFox got all the development up to the point of taking over AnyDVD for free (since it could not buy anything from a defunct company, right?), so the dramatic increase in price smells of a money grab, not legitimate costs in developing the product from scratch. That would be OK with me if there was transparent, obvious, open money grab. If it is not, then wrapping it in a gift wrap, a nice bow, and a sob story, well, disgusts me. It smells badly.

BTW, BRCS, since you are so eager to support RedFox, and since you have two RedFox lifetime licenses, would you mind letting me have one and I would donate US$50.00 to RedFox.bz for it? You know, put your money where your keyboard is?:banghead:

Has anyone checked how much of (binary if not human-legible) code from "Slysoft product" ended up in "RedFox product" to claim this is not the same path of development?

It's the same AnyDVD code, no one is denying that, the problem is AnyDVD doesn't continue to work on new discs without OPD servers and constant development.
RedFox has started from stratch with it's own set of OPD servers and are continuing to constantly develop AnyDVD - that's what you are paying them for.

Why indeed should I believe this is not a MPAA / AACS-LA sting?

Not sure what anyone could say to make you believe it's not a sting? Obviously if it was, they aren't going to say "yes, this is a sting" as their cover is blown :ROFLMAO:
I think you may have watched too many Hollywood movies ;)

Also, PLEASE NOTE, that RedFox got all the development up to the point of taking over AnyDVD for free (since it could not buy anything from a defunct company, right?), so the dramatic increase in price smells of a money grab.
I really do not want to buy another lifetime license that will go down the toilet in six months or a year from now

The prices are no more than they were from Slysoft, if I remember lifetime was around 119.00 EUR then compared to 109.00 EUR now and current exchange rates are even better (if buying from the USA).

If you are worried about lifetime, just buy a one year licence and renew it each year - renewal prices will be cheaper than initial purchase price.

You are entitled to your opinion about the whole situation, mine and many others is different - I believe and trust RedFox 100% and thankful they chose to continue AnyDVD development.

Note: I've quoted from two different threads.

Last edited:
I would not mind, except the smell is bad. Why RedFox is protected from MPAA / AACS-LA but Slysoft was not? Am I going to fork over the money for a lifetime license, only to wake up tomorrow and have to buy it yet again to support "BlackFox.bz"'s AnyDVD? I prefer to deal with verifiable, transparent situations, so I can make rational decisions. This is besides the fact that unlike you I cannot afford the multiple licenses, neither together nor serially.

Sure, the story of demise of Slysoft at the hands MPAA / AACS-LA may be true, but in that case I want to know how is RedFox.bz protected from a similar fate. I really do not want to buy another lifetime license that will go down the toilet in six months or a year from now because RedFox.bz. is replaced by BlackFox.bz.

Also, PLEASE NOTE, that RedFox got all the development up to the point of taking over AnyDVD for free (since it could not buy anything from a defunct company, right?), so the dramatic increase in price smells of a money grab, not legitimate costs in developing the product from scratch. That would be OK with me if there was transparent, obvious, open money grab. If it is not, then wrapping it in a gift wrap, a nice bow, and a sob story, well, disgusts me. It smells badly.

BTW, BRCS, since you are so eager to support RedFox, and since you have two RedFox lifetime licenses, would you mind letting me have one and I would donate US$50.00 to RedFox.bz for it? You know, put your money where your keyboard is?:banghead:
Yes I would Mind most people like you are just here to try and stir a hornets nest up have fun it will not work on me...Children now a days..PFFFFFT...:thankyou::thankyou:

I would not mind, except the smell is bad. Why RedFox is protected from MPAA / AACS-LA but Slysoft was not?

Am I going to fork over the money for a lifetime license, only to wake up tomorrow and have to buy it yet again to support "BlackFox.bz"'s AnyDVD? I prefer to deal with verifiable, transparent situations, so I can make rational decisions. This is besides the fact that unlike you I cannot afford the multiple licenses, neither together nor serially.

Nobody is saying they are. Redfox just has measures in place that Slysoft didn't, to postpone something that could eventually happen as long as possible.

As said above, there are measures in place. You want to know what they are, well sorry but that's not going to happen. That would defeat their purpose and RedFox might as well give the MPAA/AACS-LA a direct call asking them to shut redfox down.

Also, PLEASE NOTE, that RedFox got all the development up to the point of taking over AnyDVD for free (since it could not buy anything from a defunct company, right?),

Free? Not likely, the rights got signed over rather than the ceo wanting to pay back wages they were due.

so the dramatic increase in price smells of a money grab, not legitimate costs in developing the product from scratch.

More incorrectness. RedFox prices are CHEAPER than the ones Slysoft had after their switch to euro in 2009. RedFox prices are on average 10-20euro cheaper per license type.

That would be OK with me if there was transparent, obvious, open money grab. If it is not, then wrapping it in a gift wrap, a nice bow, and a sob story, well, disgusts me. It smells badly.

Don't accuse the staff of something that isn't true unless you have cold hard facts.

I currently have lifetime keys for SlySoft AnyDVD, CloneDVD & CloneDVDmobile. Are there any discounts to replace them with RedFox?

Only Anydvd would need to be purchased the other programs you have are not effected as for discounts they just ended a 20% off promo I sure they will have another one in the future pay with bitcoin now and get 10% off.

I currently have lifetime keys for SlySoft AnyDVD, CloneDVD & CloneDVDmobile. Are there any discounts to replace them with RedFox?
Currently there is a 15% bundle discount if you purchase both AnyDVD and CloneDVDMobile (I just checked the purchase page), plus 10% more for using Bitcoin.

CloneDVD is an Elaborate Bytes product, it's a different company, its license was not affected by the butchering of Slysoft.

FYI, CloneDVDMobile is only available as a lifetime license, AnyDVD has several timed yearly subscriptions as well as a lifetime license. No matter what AnyDVD license you decide to purchase buying both AnyDVD and CloneDVDMobile as a bundle gives you the bundle discount.

Since it seems you don't own CloneCD I would get that. Now don't let the name fool you. As it can be used to make 1:1 copies/images of CD's, DVD's , and PC software that comes in a disc. I myself would purchase that along with AnyDvDHD to get a bundle discount of 15% . And if possible use the Bitcoin option and get another 10% on top of that. Here's some more information about CloneCD from the RedFox site.

https://www.redfox.bz/clonecd.html

CloneCD is the perfect tool to make backup copies of your music and data CDs, regardless of standard conformity. CloneCD's award-winning user interface allows you to copy almost any CD with just a few mouse clicks.

CloneCD allows you to create perfect 1:1 copies of your valuable original compact discs. Should your non Red Book standard music CD not play in your car audio, the backup created by CloneCD will.

RedFox combines knowledge and innovation with many years of experience and direct communication with customers to provide constant improvements, therefore making CloneCD the highest quality copying application around.
  • First copying software that uses RAW-Mode
  • Creates working 1:1 copies onto CD-Rs and CD-RWs
  • Amplifies weak sectors with selected CD writers
  • Emulates weak sectors with all CD writers
  • Works with CD-ROMs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs
  • Writes Audio CDs that conform to Redbook standard
  • Tray-icon allows control over functional usage of inserted media
  • Copies from CD/DVD drives, hard-drive or virtual drives
  • Intuitive user-interface, making it easy for novices
  • Rich selection of preset options via default profiles
  • Advanced options for expert users
  • Stable, fast and does not require an ASPI driver
  • Professional technical support and customer care
  • New: Copies DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Dual Layer and DVD-RAM
  • New: Supports DVD split file image formats, this format works with FAT32 partitions and is compatible with VirtualCloneDrive
  • New: Supports ISO and UDF formats created by other applications (e.g., Nero, DVD2One, DVDShrink or CloneDVD)
  • New: Copies CDs/DVDs which are violating fair-use rights.
  • Can Read To Image That Can Be Saved On HDD
  • Images Created By CloneCD Can Be Used With VirtualCloneDrive Which Will Appear As A Physical Disc In Your Drive

You would need a optical disc drive capable of "Raw" read & write.
Unless I am mistaken.
This is increasingly rare.
As for the rest, many free programs cover all those.

You would need a optical disc drive capable of "Raw" read & write.
Unless I am mistaken.
This is increasingly rare.
As for the rest, many free programs cover all those.
Every optical drive I've ever owned whether it was a rom or a burner. Was capable of doing what CCD needs. And I have used CCD for a long long time. Even back when was an elby product.

If CloneCD is making 1:1 copies, then why aren't the Cinavia keys being copied? Do they reside in an unreadable area of the DVD? If that is the case, then you can't call it 1:1 copies if Cinavia detects the missing keys on a DVD.

Every optical drive I've ever owned whether it was a rom or a burner. Was capable of doing what CCD needs. And I have used CCD for a long long time. Even back when was an elby product.
I think you might be confused here.
Many devices/software allow for Raw, as in thus allowing access similar to HD.
Raw - Read & write that I refer to would:-
"RawRead creates a disk image file from a source diskette in the original track and sector format. The resulting disk image file can then be sent via ftp or email without corruption. Rawrite reads the disk image file and recreates the source diskette in its original format and integrity."
Which as Yaris points out would result in true 1:1 copies including any protections.
Again could be wrong, but I believe this is no longer available.

Cinavia doesn't use keys, it detects the missing CSS keys from the normal protection

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I think you might be confused here.
Many devices/software allow for Raw, as in thus allowing access similar to HD.
Raw - Read & write that I refer to would:-
"RawRead creates a disk image file from a source diskette in the original track and sector format. The resulting disk image file can then be sent via ftp or email without corruption. Rawrite reads the disk image file and recreates the source diskette in its original format and integrity."
Which as Yaris points out would result in true 1:1 copies including any protections.
Again could be wrong, but I believe this is no longer available.
Turn off AnyDvDHD and it will make one. Although I don't know why you would want to. As it would be useless unless run through AnyDvDHD first

Yes I would Mind most people like you are just here to try and stir a hornets nest up have fun it will not work on me...Children now a days..PFFFFFT...:thankyou::thankyou:

Quite honestly I did not mean to stir a hornets nest. I wanted and want to understand the parameters of the license. Curious though that I stroke a nerve rather than being ignored.

I read large portion of some of the discussions. It all makes sense in some ways. What strikes me most, however, is that there are some reasonable inconsistencies going forward. The largest is that either it is dirt cheap to keep the software updated and current by updating the database with new keys, or the new lifetime license customer acquisition rate is amazingly high (someone mentioned in a thread 5% which is not amazingly high) and cheap, or the lifetime licenses will expire because the business model cannot be supported over long time. I feel the latter is the case. As I see it, even with the purest and most legitimate and innocent intentions, the business model will turn out to be a one-layer Ponzi-like scheme.

As to signing over the intellectual property to the developers, oops -- bad news! There is a legal document somewhere that points to the principals. Now the various agencies have something to hook into.

Not only that, even if the at-an-arm's-length approach can be maintained, there are the servers. They need not be huge, but they need to serve large numbers of connections and downloads. These are the easy targets -- not necessarily legal challenges, but we know our esteemed government does use cyber warfare.

Finally, "follow the money." That is usually the surest way to find the principals. Even if the project has a byzantine financial structure, including using Bitcoins at some steps, someone "picks up the email at the PO Box" somewhere. Someone gets a phone call when servers go down. Someone pays for the bandwidth. The human may be deep underground, may be a lawyer with all the privileges of that profession, but MPAA / AACS-LA are powerful enemies. Seeing that the MPAA / AACS-LA really very much do not like AnyDVD, it is only a matter of time before they come a-knocking. They only need to go after the most visible principal, and they did show both ingenuity and influence with Slysoft.

For these reasons, business model and MPAA / AACS-LA efforts, I now believe that "RedFox.bz project" will eventually -- sooner than later -- succumb and lifetime licenses will be cut short sooner than later (maybe they should be called "open ended" licenses, not lifetime; calling them lifetime still stings and smarts).

Oh, yes -- three months' salaries for a fully functional business ... err, project, that can probably net each participant a cool $250K to $1M a year in the first year while they enjoy the work? Boy, I wish I had an opportunity such as that!

Having said that, I really hate the current US copyright laws that do not have exceptions for personal use. Many countries basically seem to have "own it, do not sell it, do not distribute, you are OK" approach. So if I had the $100+ I would buy the "lifetime" / open-ended license just to protest this nonsense -- besides, I like what the project is doing to avoid the bull's eye on their back. Alas, the purchase will have to wait until I learn to use Bitcoin and see the 20% discount, and convince my SO that I really need it.:bowdown::banghead::D

Be good!

P.S. Thank you for implying I am a child! It has been a long time since anyone thought I had the brutal and clear insight that most children lose when they grow up.

Where do I post these two questions"
1. How do I change my forum moniker?
2. Where do I look and what do I do to move my Slysoft key to a new machine?

Nobody is saying they are. Redfox just has measures in place that Slysoft didn't, to postpone something that could eventually happen as long as possible.

As said above, there are measures in place. You want to know what they are, well sorry but that's not going to happen. That would defeat their purpose and RedFox might as well give the MPAA/AACS-LA a direct call asking them to shut redfox down.

Free? Not likely, the rights got signed over rather than the ceo wanting to pay back wages they were due.

More incorrectness. RedFox prices are CHEAPER than the ones Slysoft had after their switch to euro in 2009. RedFox prices are on average 10-20euro cheaper per license type.

Don't accuse the staff of something that isn't true unless you have cold hard facts.

I did not accuse, I merely pointed out that logistics of the situation seem to indicate that situation.

So, there is "staff"? And there was a legal transfer of intellectual property to the "staff"? I am sure MPAA / AACS-LA is glad to read that, since "staff" implies organization, and they do find it easier to have individuals as well as organizations to go after.

I was referring to prices I paid.

No matter what measures are taken, I believe that the business model is not sustainable over long period of time, and that MPAA / AACS-LA are powerful and determined nemeses that will not be deterred -- hence the "lifetime" licenses likely will have short lifespans.

Be good.

You didn't stir a hornets nets, it's just that everything you've said has all been discussed over a year ago, before redfox offically started and licenses became available.

The largest is that either it is dirt cheap to keep the software updated and current by updating the database with new keys, or the new lifetime license customer acquisition rate is amazingly high (someone mentioned in a thread 5% which is not amazingly high) and cheap, or the lifetime licenses will expire because the business model cannot be supported over long time.

You don't know how cheap or expensive any of that is, so please refrain from making such assumptions. Cannot be supported over long time? Well Slysoft did for over 10 years until they got shut down, you call that short. And for the record, RedFox initially didn't WANT to offer lifetimes because they knew it was "bad for funds" in the long run. However the community asked for them and they offered it because of the demand.

Not only that, even if the at-an-arm's-length approach can be maintained, there are the servers. They need not be huge, but they need to serve large numbers of connections and downloads. These are the easy targets -- not necessarily legal challenges, but we know our esteemed government does use cyber warfare.

Again, you don't know how large they do or don't need to be. That applies to hdd size as well as connections served. Easy targets? Well for the record the slysoft OPD was up for a few more months AFTER slysoft got shut down, so not such an easy target eyh? Cyber Warfare? Paranoid much?

They only need to go after the most visible principal

That's the only correct thing you've said so far, but i'm going to bust that one wide open too. RedFox doesn't have a CEO, they don't have a central location to go after so it's going to be real hard to track anyone or anything down.

Oh, yes -- three months' salaries for a fully functional business ... err, project, that can probably net each participant a cool $250K to $1M a year in the first year while they enjoy the work?

More making up numbers, please stop doing that. Unless you work directly for RedFox and at the financial side, you have NO CLUE what the income is over ANY period of time. None.

I did not accuse, I merely pointed out that logistics of the situation seem to indicate that situation.

Euhm yes you did. You pretty much called them cold hard money grabbers, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes there is staff, some of the former Slysoft staff banded together to form redfox. If you've read the discussions you say you did, you should have known that.

That said.

As to learning about bitcoin, try reading the sticky on top of this section. https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/paying-with-bitcoin-for-us-purchasers-using-coinbase.72212/ It's geared specifically towards USA users.

As to your questions:

1. In your case unlikely as we usually only allow for nick changes when personal data is involved (eg: real name, e-mail address,...) why would you want to change it, and into what
2. Copy the registration file over to the new computer, done. That's all there is to it. Where do you look, well if you have the original purchase mail, you look at the attachments. If you don't maybe @James or @Ivan can point you where to registration file for old versions can be found after it's been registered.

As to how long the lifespan of lifetimes will be, you don't know that either any more than how long you'll live. For all you know you could die in your sleep tonight or get run over tomorrow. Nobody can predict the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back