• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Recommendation on external Blu-Ray Drive

alterverwalter

Hello together! I´m looking for a new External BR-Burner. Main purpose is reading out Blu-Ray Discs for storage on my NAS. It has to be be an external drive for connection with my notebook - powersupply should be prefereably via USB. I have selected the following drives:

Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB-EU
Pioneer BDR-XD05
LG BP55EB40 slim 6x6x6x BDRW

The LG seems not to be the best choice as it has no USB 3 support. Thus the race will be probably between Pioneer and Buffalo (last one offers a better cable management). The Pioneer drive is the most expensive of those drives - is it worth the extra money?

Last edited:
Threads don't get deleted unless absolutely needed :) though on topic, lg has never let me down. Nor is usb3 really needed disk burn rates don't need that much data bandwidth that usb3 is needed. USB2 can handle things perfectly.

The advantage to USB 3 is power. I've had USB 2 drives in the past that worked fine then after a few months I had to replace the single USB cable with one that draws power from 2 USB 2 sockets, whereas the optical drives I have in USB 3 powered bays never have that issue

Threads don't get deleted unless absolutely needed :) though on topic, lg has never let me down. Nor is usb3 really needed disk burn rates don't need that much data bandwidth that usb3 is needed. USB2 can handle things perfectly.

I'm fine with that. Just didn't want to leave my mess in this forum - nonne needs those empty unresponded topics

me too
I heard that Xternals have some sort of issues sometimes when leading out or something ?????
ie: internals are more "accurate" and/or faster

I use a PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M ATA Device
and an LG BH16N555

both internals and are workhorses

It would be nice to attach at least 1 or 2 external drives to the desk so I don't always have to reach for the PC unless doing lots of ripping

That's the most recommended enclosure for optical drives: http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/515

I've put my Plextor PX-B940SA (= rebadged Pioneer BD-R 205) in an enclosure of a worn out external USB 2.0 LG DVD burner of mine.
But this way i can only burn at 6x speed reliably.
In the real world USB 2.0 isn't enough for 8x burning ...but i only burn at 6x max. anyway ;)

Last edited:
I can recommend Slimtypes from Panasonic/Matshita if the speed is enough and if it´s not for daily use ;)

If you need real workhorses I would buy something with a Pioneer 5,25"-drive, it´a better allrounder than LG-drives.

Back