• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"The Lives of Others" movie

rrose1968

This movie was released this week, but I happen to notice that the director's commentary is on by default, even when I switch it off. I never change AnyDvd/CloneDVD settings so it isn't that.

Anyone else have this issue with this title? And if I need to post info, its it info before or after I have used/compressed with CloneDVD? Thanks.

This movie was released this week, but I happen to notice that the director's commentary is on by default, even when I switch it off. I never change AnyDvd/CloneDVD settings so it isn't that.

1. Does the original disc have the same problem?

2. Are you positive? Sure sounds as though you made the wrong choice in Clonedvd.

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

7. Why am I only getting Director's comments or having other audio related issues with my backup?

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5033 (click the link)

Without even reading all of the last post it hit me what's happened:

I always cut all audio except for English and the commentary. Since the film is in German...doh. I forgot to recheck German and I'm willing to bet it thinks the commentary is the only audio it has (which is actually true in this case) so it plays it by default.

Would that make sense? Dang foreign films....I usually don't bother with those. Reminds me when a friend bought Passion of the Christ and cut out subtitles so I asked my friend "Dude...can you speak Aramaic?" :confused:

I always cut all audio except for English and the commentary. Since the film is in German...doh. I forgot to recheck German and I'm willing to bet it thinks the commentary is the only audio it has (which is actually true in this case) so it plays it by default.

Would that make sense? Dang foreign films....I usually don't bother with those. Reminds me when a friend bought Passion of the Christ and cut out subtitles so I asked my friend "Dude...can you speak Aramaic?" :confused:

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5033

Thats correct. The movie is in German with English subtitiles.

FG

There's nothing in that post that talks about what happened here. It speaks of incorrect menus and incorrect choices, etc... In my case, my software defaults to English only as I normally only use English & forgetting that German was the only audio on this one, the disc played the only audio it could find, which was the commentary. The post doesn't specifically address that.

I normally don't do the foreign ones, but some like Pan's Labyrinth and Letters from Iwo Jima are worth it. Which now reminds me I need to check those too... I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, but I heard it was good.

The post doesn't specifically address that.

Yes it does. It tells you to preview the audio choices in Powerdvd. Had you done that you would have realized much sooner what the issue was. The problem is that Clonedvd doesn't play audio--and consequently, the user doesn't have the opportunity to hear what's being backed up before the audio choices are made.

Last edited:
"Preview audio" isn't the same as "what happens if you default one language and the movie audio doesn't have that language". It just says to preview it, it doesn't say what happens if you accidentally default a language that doesn't happen to be on the list.

Regardless I found out what happens. And as I said, I don't do many of these (I think I have 3) so leaving the only one language is probably common. 99.99% of what I have has English audio so I (obviously) don't pay that close attention to it. It's no big deal. I mucked up being in a hurry. Not the first time, probably not the last.

Actually as a feature it would be cool if there are no audio languages checked that are in the movie, a warning pops up. However I would say this doesn't happen often and would be a programmer's waste of time. It's a thought. PowerDVD? I don't use it and it's not included nor mentioned as needed or suggested when we download so I don't use it. I have Nero, never tried it there but it may do that. It does everything else.

Last edited:
"Preview audio" isn't the same as "what happens if you default one language and the movie audio doesn't have that language".

Yes, it does. It has everything to do with the choices you make.

It just says to preview it, it doesn't say what happens if you accidentally default a language that doesn't happen to be on the list.

What do you think will happen? You can only play the audio you selected to backup in Clonedvd. If you read through that post and follow the advice made, I almost guarantee you will not have audio related issues again. But suit yourself. I'm not interested in arguing.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink":D

Back