• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.
Last edited:
SGX and PlayReady are separate DRM, it just happens that Kaby Lake support both types, so it's possible Netflix does not need SGX (just like UHD BD won't use PlayReady)
Netflix and BD's have always had completely different DRM systems.

AACS LA have required SGX for safe key decryption (most likely since PowerDVD leaked keys previously), obviously this isn't relevant to Netflix as they don't use this type of copy protection.

If it was just PlayReady 3.0, NVIDIA Pascal cards would already be compatible with Netflix 4K and my Skylake 6700 would work just fine. Instead even on Netflix you are forced to use iGPU that comes with Kaby Lake....

How do you explain this?

KZTnmij.png

Last edited:
If it's an option in the BIOS to enable then that means it actually has SGX as long as the CPU supports it which mine does as it's a 7700K, I just can't use PDVD to play back UHD as I only have the GTX 1060 available
It looks like you can remove your 1060 card from the MoBo (had a look over at Prostar and it appears it simply plugs in like a memory stick).
Once removed it should default to the iGPU.
It would be interesting to see if it would work.

I know they can be removed on my Alienware machine.

If it was just PlayReady 3.0, NVIDIA Pascal cards would already be compatible with Netflix 4K and my Skylake 6700 would work just fine. Instead even on Netflix you are forced to use iGPU that comes with Kaby Lake....
How do you explain this?

Most reports have mentioned Nvidia/AMD drivers are not yet compatible with PlayReady 3.0.
From what I've seen Netflix have never mentioned SGX as a requirement only Cyberlink have (which makes sense since they have to follow AACS LA requirements)
I'm not saying SGX isn't required for Netflix, I don't know, as you say it most likely is.
Unless PlayReady/SGX are indeed the same thing/tied together, which Jeff R 1 link points towards, which would make sense (PlayReady may require/use SGX)

We need someone with compliant hardware to disable SGX and find out for certain in Netflix, might be difficult since @Gizzmo is the only person in this thread to have it and even then it doesn't seem to work :LOL:

At least if Nvidia are showing off slides specifically about Netflix 4k, it's only a matter of time until support is added, which should mean UHD BD support too.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else did, but I watched that video in my link.
The guy touched on PlayReady 3.0, but he didn't actually say anything about SGX.
He did mention other DMR protections, but he was very unclear.
He is the worst speaker ever...

So tryed Netflix yesterday again and honestely I don't know for shure if 4K was working
or if it was only a really good 1080p stream. I tryed Netflix with Edge Browser, searched
for "4K", some documents and movies were found. The problem is, with my Samsung
UHD Discplayer the 4K titles are shown with a 4K label within the database of Netflix.
This is not the case with Edge Browser or the win10 App. There is no info at startup
or to open showing the resolution if the played movie.

So I can't say if it was really 4K, even it looked really good with much detail.

Maybe I can check the used datarate on the networkport to see if it takes more than
with a 1080p stream... Anybody knows if Netflix offers a infopanel with resolution?

The Win10 App didn't work, trying to play the "4K" streams always showed me an info
that Netflix have a problem playing it at the moment.

Maybe I try to phone Netflix today and ask how to check if 4K is working...

BTW, which drives are able to read UHD discs? I can't find the thread anymore. Would
like to check this part too.

It looks like you can remove your 1060 card from the MoBo (had a look over at Prostar and it appears it simply plugs in like a memory stick).
Once removed it should default to the iGPU.
It would be interesting to see if it would work.

I know they can be removed on my Alienware machine.
If you remove the GTX card then you get nothing as the motherboard isn't set up to switch to the iGPU. The electronics are all set up to feed from the GTX, so no GTX then nothing gets output to the screen or the external sockets .The reason they are removable is so you can replace it or upgrade it from the 1060 to a 1070 or 1080. I'm a system builder and have been dealing with Clevo laptops for years so I know they don't work that way. If the electronics was there then they'd give it as an option in the BIOS like they do on the lower end models that take mobile CPU's.

If you remove the GTX card then you get nothing as the motherboard isn't set up to switch to the iGPU. The electronics are all set up to feed from the GTX, so no GTX then nothing gets output to the screen or the external sockets .The reason they are removable is so you can replace it or upgrade it from the 1060 to a 1070 or 1080. I'm a system builder and have been dealing with Clevo laptops for years so I know they don't work that way. If the electronics was there then they'd give it as an option in the BIOS like they do on the lower end models that take mobile CPU's.
Well, that sucks, I never tried doing that on my Alienware, but on my HTPC, if I remove my NVIDIA card it defaults back to the iGPU, so that was my thinking.
On my HTPC if I use the HDMI port on the MoBo while the video card is hooked up, I just get a black screen.

BTW, which drives are able to read UHD discs? I can't find the thread anymore. Would
This is the one I got from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Blu-ray-Rewriter/dp/B00E7B08MS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456893295&sr=1-1&keywords=LG WH16NS40&tag=vglnk-ca-c18-20

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...c-bdxl-drive-test-request-4.html#post41616169 (post 109)

The SVC code NS50 (seems to be the key) and manufactured after October 2015 on mine.

Well, that sucks, I never tried doing that on my Alienware, but on my HTPC, if I remove my NVIDIA card it defaults back to the iGPU, so that was my thinking.
On my HTPC if I use the HDMI port on the MoBo while the video card is hooked up, I just get a black screen.
But none of the sockets on the laptop are connected to the motherboard in that way. All the external sockets including the TB 3 are routed direct to the GTX

Anybody knows if Netflix offers a infopanel with resolution?

Ctrl+Alt+Shift + D will bring up stats and show the resolution (in Edge at least)

BTW, which drives are able to read UHD discs? I can't find the thread anymore. Would like to check this part too.

As @Jeff R 1 mentioned new revisions of the LG BH16NS40/WH16NS40 and also the LG BH16NS55 can all read the content on UHD discs (maybe others too)
However we don't know it they will actually play the discs, early signs from RedFox were they only support AACS 1.0 and not the newer 2.0 required for UHD BD.

Pioneer recently released BDR-S11J-BK & BDR-S11J-X in Japan, these specifically say they will work with UHD BD, but no North American/European model has been announced yet.

From what i've read those LGs can physically see the content and make a protected ISO with AnyDVD ripper.
Question is: does PDVD 17 play back AACS 2 protected ISOs ?

From what i've read those LGs can physically see the content and make a protected ISO with AnyDVD ripper.
Question is: does PDVD 17 play back AACS 2 protected ISOs ?

No, a protected ISO can't be played without the protection being removed first.
If it could then AACS would be pretty useless and we wouldn't need AnyDVD :)

Probably not, it's very likely UHD discs use some bd-rom mark like on normal discs which is located on the inner plastic ring and cannot be ripped. Encryption - bd-rom: playback failure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

I find amusing the fact that the BD Drive might be the only hardware component that works on my system. I was worried about it and now I find out I have to change every other component to play these discs

Well Asus responded in regards to the GPU part of my contact request 'we currently don't have any product that supports this, so in this case the answer is the same.

So if they're right, that means that at least for the Asus strix series SGX support is going to have to come from Nvidia through a driver implementation. For my MB I'll have a dig through the board BIOS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Let the reversing begin! I wish @James and whomever may be assisting him the best of luck!

So tryed Netflix yesterday again and honestely I don't know for shure if 4K was working
or if it was only a really good 1080p stream. I tryed Netflix with Edge Browser, searched
for "4K", some documents and movies were found. The problem is, with my Samsung
UHD Discplayer the 4K titles are shown with a 4K label within the database of Netflix.
This is not the case with Edge Browser or the win10 App. There is no info at startup
or to open showing the resolution if the played movie.if you see 4k movies then you are playing the 4 k stream. My TV shows 4k titles but PC does not. 4k titles will only show up if all your hardware is 4k compatible

So I can't say if it was really 4K, even it looked really good with much detail.

Maybe I can check the used datarate on the networkport to see if it takes more than
with a 1080p stream... Anybody knows if Netflix offers a infopanel with resolution?

The Win10 App didn't work, trying to play the "4K" streams always showed me an info
that Netflix have a problem playing it at the moment.

Maybe I try to phone Netflix today and ask how to check if 4K is working...

stupid phone. If you see 4k titles in the Netflix Windows 10 app then your PC is playing 4k

Back