• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Latest CloneDVD update is killing me...

imaref

Been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD for about two years--never once had any problems. Then I installed the latest CloneDVD update (and according to the history/revisions it's supposed to have updated ability to play dvds in more players).

My discs burn perfectly and play just fine on my laptop. When I put them in my set top dvd player (JVC), I'm getting freezes and pixelizing. Most of the areas are watchable, but it's really annoying.

1. I have always used the same brand media and the same brand was used since the update.

2. I tried playing other backups that I made PRIOR to the latest update and they play just fine on both the laptop and the set top dvd player.

Any suggestions?

1. I have always used the same brand media and the same brand was used since the update.

Doesn't matter. If you're using inferior quality blank media, you should expect problems. Many companies that sell blank media under their label do not make their own blank media and use several different sources (and/or change sources). Consequently, what you once used may not necessarily be the same, and with poor quality blank media (memorex, generic/regular maxell, princo, etc.) some blanks within the same spindle may simply be bad (the chances of this happening increase when you use some of the brands I just mentioned).

My discs burn perfectly and play just fine on my laptop. When I put them in my set top dvd player (JVC), I'm getting freezes and pixelizing.

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

10. My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer that means Clonedvd worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden 8x premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes".
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player that can't play the disc is slowly dying.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your efforts.

What doesn't make sense is: if my standalone DVD player doesn't like the blank media I'm using, then all of the other backups wouldn't work either and that's just not the case.

If the standalone dvd player is dying, then I would expect to have the same problems with all of the other backups I had made before the latest update and that's not the case either.

I'm stumped.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your efforts.

What doesn't make sense is: if my standalone DVD player doesn't like the blank media I'm using, then all of the other backups wouldn't work either and that's just not the case.

Not if you're using inferior quality blank media. Very common question, actually (since most people can't figure out why the cheap Memorex stuff they bought suddenly doesn't work despite previous discs working from the same spindle . . . it's because Memorex media is not consistent in quality)

Quality may vary significantly within the same spindle. If you're using inferior quality blank media, you should expect problems. Many companies that sell blank media under their label do not make their own blank media and use several different sources (and/or change sources). Consequently, what you once used may not necessarily be the same, and with poor quality blank media (memorex, generic/regular maxell, princo, etc.) some blanks within the same spindle may simply be bad (the chances of this happening increase when you use some of the brands I just mentioned).

Use Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x dvd+R and change the booktype to dvd-rom. One source for this, if you live in the U.S. is supermediastore.com

Another possibility that exists is that your burner is slowly dying.

Last edited:
Also from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

Why are my backups freezing, hanging, skipping, or showing a blocky pixellated mess during playback?

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250

3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x; an 8x burn speed on 16x rated media wouldn't be a bad idea either)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

Also, check the preview screen in Clonedvd to ensure you're backing up the proper title.

read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully please

Don't use junk media. TDK is junk. Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Sony is good.

That's all well and good and I will certainly try a better media in my efforts to remedy this issue. HOWEVER...could you please explain to me why the exact same spindle of TDK discs burned perfectly and consistently, right up until the last couple upgrades from SlySoft, and now these SAME discs consistently stall and sputter and stop??? I think it's time for SlySoft to take a bit of responsibility for this problem as well, you know? Stonewalling with "it must be your media or it must be your burner" really isn't very helpful. My apologies for sounding frustrated...but I am. Thanks for trying to help.

That's all well and good and I will certainly try a better media in my efforts to remedy this issue. HOWEVER...could you please explain to me why the exact same spindle of TDK discs burned perfectly and consistently, right up until the last couple upgrades from SlySoft, and now these SAME discs consistently stall and sputter and stop??? I think it's time for SlySoft to take a bit of responsibility for this problem as well, you know? Stonewalling with "it must be your media or it must be your burner" really isn't very helpful. My apologies for sounding frustrated...but I am. Thanks for trying to help.
I'm not saying it is the media. Then again, junk media like TDK can very from disc to disc or spindle to spindle.

Inconsistant quality occurs in these media even within the same spindle. Try some of the better media and the other ideas suggested and see if any of that helps.

I have just ordered a spindle of DVD-R Media 4.7GB 1X-16X Bulk by Taiyo Yuden (DVD-R47ZZSB16) and hope to return next week with a mea culpa. If nothing else, I will have some better quality coasters. :D

Thanks, again!

I still didn't buy that it was the blank media, so I still had the CloneDVD setup file from the previous version (before the latest update). I installed it and everything is back to normal.

Problem solved.

I still didn't buy that it was the blank media, so I still had the CloneDVD setup file from the previous version (before the latest update). I installed it and everything is back to normal.

Problem solved.
So 2.9.1.2 was the problem version?

Yep. I would burn my dvds on the same media as always, they would play fine on my computer but in my JVC all format DVD player certain parts of the movie would pixelize and freeze.

I'm sticking with the older version until they come out with another update and then I'll try again.

Perhaps you experienced a bad download/install of CloneDVD2...

Yea im having the same issues just tried wild hogs didnt seem to play in my panasonic. Im thinking whatever they did to try to fix movies like the queen and the messengers has somehow messed up playback on other titles.

Problem solved.

So you ran into a few blanks that actually worked then.

Last edited:
That bad media stuff is a bunch of garbage.The old Clone Dvd worked just fine for me with any kind of media inclusing name brand media such as Memorex but when you try to burn a movie with the new version of Clone Dvd,the backup copy freezes in the middle of the movie.I receive the same problems as the thread starter.Can someone give me a link to the old version of Clone dvd?

That bad media stuff is a bunch of garbage.The old Clone Dvd worked just fine for me with any kind of media inclusing name brand media such as Memorex but when you try to burn a movie with the new version of Clone Dvd,the backup copy freezes in the middle of the movie.I receive the same problems as the thread starter.Can someone give me a link to the old version of Clone dvd?
Memorex is garbage. Here is the older version.

http://filehippo.com/download/file/d3a101804349f33809e27bda043188c0d70410840f08e3e4a5acaa63d38fe4a3/

That bad media stuff is a bunch of garbage . . . The old Clone Dvd worked just fine fwith any kind of media inclusing name brand media such as Memorex

Lots of people who used inferior blank media had problems with previous versions of Clonedvd as well. Why? Because they're using junk blank media.

There's a reason why most experts and burning forums tell you to use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. But suit yourselves. Those of you who in this thread who continue to insist on using junk like Memorex, Princo, regular Maxell, etc. (and wonder why things don't work well for you) will simply be ignored by me in the future.

Clonedvd 2.9.1.2 backups works fine for me (and for my friends) on three different systems on over five different standalone dvd players.

Last edited:
Inconsistant quality occurs in these media even within the same spindle. Try some of the better media and the other ideas
i agree with that.

i bought some unbranded dvd's a while back and they burn/play consistently-then all of a sudden a disc from the same spindle,i put a blank dvd disc in my laptop drive to burn a movie to the disc and got the message coming up saying the disc WASN'T blank (these are blank discs and it's telling me they're not blank).
anyway i took it downstairs to my standalaone daewoo dvd recorder and it recorded on that.
on another note,my daewoo hates taiyo yuden recorded (and blank) discs-it wont even acknowledge them.yet my playstation2 loves them to bits.

Back