• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ULTRA HD Blu-ray? Is SlySoft support coming?

Exactly! I am sure that soon enough, someone else will come along that offers support for a wider array of hardware. That aside, I would not even bother getting a drive at the moment. It is my understanding that a new drive may not even be necessary to play UHD disks on a PC. And what good is offering a free version of PowerDVD that is useless for playing UHD disks? Unless it comes with a free upgrade to PowerDVD 17 once it comes out, it's not worth it.

Yes, basically half the cost of that Pioneer Drive is the PowerDVD software bundled with it

I'm confident the price will drop pretty soon - at least for the standard 211 drive with standard bezel and without honeycomb pattern ...provided we get such a model.

Yes, basically half the cost of that Pioneer Drive is the PowerDVD software bundled with it
nope, oems only pay a few cents/dollars for software bundled with drives. The software is usually the lower tier and often can't play blurays. Powerdvd 14 ships with the pioneer not 16 or 17.

nope, oems only pay a few cents/dollars for software bundled with drives. The software is usually the lower tier and often can't play blurays. Powerdvd 14 ships with the pioneer not 16 or 17.
The point is that PowerDVD 17 is the only version of PowerDVD that supports UHD, and it has not been released yet. So why ship it with any existing version of PowerDVD?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a special OEM version though. They did it before when Blu-ray and HD DVD came out. The drives were bundled with a special version of PDVD 7 I think that supported HD DVD and Blu-ray playback that wasn't available in the standard PDVD 7 but was available in the retail PDVD 8

"Taipei, TaiwanJanuary 25, 2017 CyberLink Corp.(5203.TW),today announced the availability of its flagship media player, PowerDVD, with Pioneer’s latest Ultra HD Blu-ray drives. This announcement marks a world's first achievement for PowerDVD as the only Ultra HD Blu-ray playback software available for Windows PCs with compatible hardware. A customized version of PowerDVD will be bundled with Pioneer’s Ultra HD Blu-ray drives (models BDR-S11J-BK & BDR-S11J-X), which will ship to the retail market by the end of February 2017. "

Pioneer will have a customized version bundled with their UHD models..

source:
https://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press...mpaign=affiliate&affid=2581_-1_37_CJaffiliate

http://pioneer.jp/support/s-detail2...65&main_cd=012&sub_cd=055&bmp_type=BDR-S11J-X
http://pioneer.jp/support/s-detail2...4&main_cd=012&sub_cd=055&bmp_type=BDR-S11J-BK

Even myce confirms me. That's only if you plan on using the CPU's video component

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Even myce confirms me. That's only if you plan on using the CPU's video component

We'll find out soon enough. Wasn't the case with Netflix.
Since Cyberlink specifically mention it, I'd say they are going to be using the hardware DRM too, if so hopefully a driver update maybe can add support to the GPU's that support the hardware DRM.

If I do build a pc with item kaby lake guess I don't need an hdmi graphics card. For me I put my games away 10 years ago. 43 now....

You don't have to take my word for it. There's something interesting over at this link http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

GPU that has an HDMI 2.0a output with HDCP 2.2 (and AACS2 supported by its driver, which eliminates current-gen standalone GPUs)

i do hope that "driver" means something Nvidia will (have to) add to the driver or even the 10xx series will be useless to play UHD if they say that.

The section i'm worried about is this one.

Unless companies like AMD and NVIDIA invent their own SGX-like technology or manage to support Intel’s extensions in their drivers and by their discrete hardware, it will not be possible to use standalone GPUs for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback despite all their advanced media decoding capabilities.

The other curious entry is something about Intel SGX. From what i read at the microsoft its a software protection application like Denuvo. But the good news is that there's an SDK (meaning the devs like @James should be able to have a decent look & documentation). The specific line is this one "Benefits from new Intel SGX instructions introduced with 6th Generation Intel® Core™ processor platforms". Meaning ANY SKYLAKE CPU and up (like my 6700k) should support SGX.

Code:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx/details

AACS2.0 is a nasty thing. It requires encrypted channel supported by ALL hardware in the environment.

You need Intel secure memory that's embedded in the cpu. This will stop olly, windbg and other debuggers from break pointing memory addresses to find the decrypt algorithms to extract the key

Pretty sure my 6700k has IGX.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk

AACS2.0 is a nasty thing. It requires encrypted channel supported by ALL hardware in the environment.
That's real bad for everybody involved. If nobody has setups that support it, nobody will buy disks that use it.

I think the problem is just this: in order to get the UHD BD license Cyberlink was forced to implement a LOT of DRM in PowerDVD to avoid AACS 2.0 to be broken. But DRM related to Intel CPU/GPU it's not actually on the disc itself... So again, AnyDVD please save us from this terrible DRM nightmare!

So I have been reading about the SGX thing that @Ch3vr0n linked to, and assuming that SGX is the only thing that makes those CPUs a requirement, newer Xeon E3 processors (and presumably newer processors in the Xeon series) should be good too.

http://techreport.com/news/29146/intel-to-begin-shipping-skylake-cpus-with-sgx-enabled

I am not sure how much the source can be trusted, so unless you know what the article says as fact, take it as speculation.

Edit: Oops. It looks like @Ch3vr0n did make a mention of this and I just missed it.

Meaning ANY SKYLAKE CPU and up (like my 6700k) should support SGX.

Last edited:
Back