• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Video remnants in movie

fzappa

Question: Older video remnants in movie

I usually set the rip to create an image file (iso), then once created, go back and use CloneDVD2 to burn from this file. I also have the option selected to remove temp files when done. The weird thing is that occasionally, during playback, I'll see a very brief screen scramble (pixelation) and a few frames from a previously ripped movie. So, any ideas on where it's even finding those old vids, and how to remedy?
The system is a XP Home machine, 2GB RAM, dual processor, if any of that helps, but I think it's got to be an issue with over-writing old files. I'm using the Clonedvd v 2.9.1.1 and AnyDVD 6.1.6.9. I've got a LiteOn 16x burner with the "B" firmware just downloaded today. I use many types of media, but the most current is Sony DVD-R for DVDs that can stand being shrunk, or don't need shrunk, but also use DVD+R and DVD+RDL of other brands. Seems the problem is that somehow the program is allowing older files to sneak frames into another project.
UPDATE*** Tried several things on most recent movie backup. I changed the booktype to DVD-ROM and removed all files from the video_ts folder and tried a different media. Same result. During playback, trying to change chapters, I got a very brief frame or two from the last movie I processed. Threw disc in trash. Second time I also lowered the burn speed (was at maximum) to 8x. Movie played fine. Still can't understand where its finding the older vid files though. Isn't anyone else experiencing this behavior and want to comment?

Last edited:
Major issues with finished DVDs!!!!

I tried posting this earlier and got no comments, questions or replies, so here I am again. Before buying copies of AnyDVD and ClobeDVD2 I tried the trial versions and all seemed fine. Now that I've bought them I'm stuck, no refunds. What has been happening is that older back ups have been having snippets inserted into newer DVDs. I was just watching one I did a couple of nights ago and some frames from a backup I did weeks ago began to show up in it! I'm getting notified of any new versions, so right now I'm using AnyDVD 6.1.7.0, and CloneDVD2 of 2.9.1.2. I've gone through all of the suggestions you have posted, including setting booktype, lowering burn speed, flashing the burners firmware with newest file, and trying different media. I've gotten into the habit of purging the temp files created during the rip, to try and make sure that no older files exist, but it's still picking these pieces up from somewhere.
Before buying these softwares, I was successfully using the same burner and media with DVDdecrypter and DVDShrink until I bought a DVD set (Rolling Stone's Biggest Bang set) that I couldn't backup. I say this so that you know that the burner and discs I've used are fine, and have played back fine in my player. Isn't anyone else experiencing this? Please offer some suggestions or hopefully a fix for this problem.

Well, this isn't a blank media issue--nor does it have anything to do with booktyping. Unless there's some weird buffer/cache issue with your burner (retaining data), you must have old files somewhere on your hard drive . . .

But I have to admit this issue is extremely weird, and I've never encountered anyone mentioning anything like this before.

Well, this isn't a blank media issue--nor does it have anything to do with booktyping. Unless there's some weird buffer/cache issue with your burner (retaining data), you must have old files somewhere on your hard drive . . .

But I have to admit this issue is extremely weird, and I've never encountered anyone mentioning anything like this before.

It is truly strange to be watching a concert DVD and have a one or two second clip of an old "Family Ties" TV show insert into it. Like I said, when I was using RipIt4Me and this same media/burner, all was fine until I ran into a DVD set that would not allow backing up, that's when I tried and bought AnyDVD and CloneDVD.
There are only two folders, other than in registry, that hold files. One is the CloneDVDtemp folder, which I manually clear out before a new burn, and the other is the AnyDVDHD temp folder in My Documents, which is always empty.

It is truly strange to be watching a concert DVD and have a one or two second clip of an old "Family Ties" TV show insert into it. Like I said, when I was using RipIt4Me and this same media/burner, all was fine until I ran into a DVD set that would not allow backing up, that's when I tried and bought AnyDVD and CloneDVD.
There are only two folders, other than in registry, that hold files. One is the CloneDVDtemp folder, which I manually clear out before a new burn, and the other is the AnyDVDHD temp folder in My Documents, which is always empty.
Strange as hell. It must be the burner. I'd uninstall and reinstall CloneDVD for the hell of it but otherwise it is the burner.

Can you try another burner on the same computer?

Strange as hell. It must be the burner. I'd uninstall and reinstall CloneDVD for the hell of it but otherwise it is the burner.

Can you try another burner on the same computer?

No other burner available, but certainly will try the uninstall/reinstall. The burner is a LiteOn SHW-160P6S. Has never been any trouble. Machine is only about 1 yr old, built from barebones. It has an Intel mobo with the D 840 3.2ghz processor and 2048MB of DDR2 RAM. I'm running XP Home on it and has all the updates, service packs and current drivers. The OS is on a Seagate 320GB SATA drive, and I also have two IDE harddrives, one of 120GB for digital photos and another of 250GB for video editing and storage.
I've no idea where these older video remnants could be hiding, possibly the 8MB buffer in the LiteOn or ???? I'd think that these buffers would be dumped when powered off.

No other burner available, but certainly will try the uninstall/reinstall. The burner is a LiteOn SHW-160P6S. Has never been any trouble. Machine is only about 1 yr old, built from barebones. It has an Intel mobo with the D 840 3.2ghz processor and 2048MB of DDR2 RAM. I'm running XP Home on it and has all the updates, service packs and current drivers. The OS is on a Seagate 320GB SATA drive, and I also have two IDE harddrives, one of 120GB for digital photos and another of 250GB for video editing and storage.
I've no idea where these older video remnants could be hiding, possibly the 8MB buffer in the LiteOn or ???? I'd think that these buffers would be dumped when powered off.
You could always open up the tower and physically unplug the drive.

I never saw this thread before...

This has to be one of the most bizarre things I've run across. I definitely have to rule out AnyDVD or CloneDVD as the cause but that still doesn't explain anything.

Have you tried using another program burn the DVDs with instead of CloneDVD? What I mean is have you ripped a DVD to your HDD with AnyDVD & CloneDVD and then burned it to disc using a program like ImgBurn? Does the same thing happen? I don't expect there to be any difference but it would be useful to know the answer this. If the problem does go away then we obviously do have to look at things differently.

I can't see the DVD burner being the cause but one thing I might do in your position would be to find a very cheap DVD burner at a local store (ie Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) or online (ie Amazon, NewEgg, TigerDirect, etc) and purchase it. Swap out your existing drive and see what happens with the new drive.

Lastly, if all else fails I might try reformatting your system. That I would consider a last resort and I'd sooner purchase a new DVD burner than go through a reformat. Personally, I'd rather have a migraine than reformat. Ugh.

You haven't been making any copies of the Poltergeist movies lately have you?

I just uninstalled/reinstalled CloneDVD and copied one of my other DVD concerts (2004 Bonnaroo, Disc 1) and the only other thing I did differently was to burn at 4X. I'm viewing it now so far, so good. I have the vob/ifo files on the HD still so if this acts up I'll try burning them with Roxio or DVDDecrypter.
Is certainly odd, and depending on what you've previously burned, it could be VERY embarrassing.
You'd think that if some hardware were the problem I would've had the problem back when I was using RipIt4Me (meaning DVDDecrypter and Shrink), but never did. I'll post back with any news.

I just uninstalled/reinstalled CloneDVD and copied one of my other DVD concerts (2004 Bonnaroo, Disc 1) and the only other thing I did differently was to burn at 4X. I'm viewing it now so far, so good.

Good to hear although I'm not sure how an uninstall/reinstall could fix this problem. But if it does then great!

I have the vob/ifo files on the HD still so if this acts up I'll try burning them with Roxio or DVDDecrypter.

Good thinking.

Is certainly odd, and depending on what you've previously burned, it could be VERY embarrassing.

LOL. Indeed. God help the person with this problem who makes copies of a wedding video for family members and also has a taste for "blue movies". ;)

You'd think that if some hardware were the problem I would've had the problem back when I was using RipIt4Me (meaning DVDDecrypter and Shrink), but never did. I'll post back with any news.

There is/was obviously a problem somewhere but regardless how I look at it the cause will end up being bizarre. I've never ever seen anyone else with this problem.

I'll definitely be interested to know if the problem is gone for good.

fzappa, you know that when you delete a file only the name is deleted and the drive space is unallocated but the file remains in tact on the drive. For some bizarre reason some remnant is being included in your burn. Usually deleting the folder and saving the temp file to a different one will take care of it, but if not you can try this free program “Eraser” it will write the unallocated space several times with different patterns – remnants are gone!

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

fzappa, you know that when you delete a file only the name is deleted and the drive space is unallocated but the file remains in tact on the drive. For some bizarre reason some remnant is being included in your burn. Usually deleting the folder and saving the temp file to a different one will take care of it, but if not you can try this free program “Eraser” it will write the unallocated space several times with different patterns – remnants are gone!

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
Good point. The oddity of this behavior is that sometimes it'll stick a clip from season 1 of Family Ties, and another time it'll slap a bit of concert video into a movie. It only seems to affect the video, not audio, and is really only a second or so, so just a few frames. Weird how it'll select something from its "history" and not the most recent, necessarily.

I just uninstalled/reinstalled CloneDVD and copied one of my other DVD concerts (2004 Bonnaroo, Disc 1) and the only other thing I did differently was to burn at 4X. I'm viewing it now so far, so good. I have the vob/ifo files on the HD still so if this acts up I'll try burning them with Roxio or DVDDecrypter.
I viewed this entire DVD and it played fine. I'll do disc 2 and maybe select another to also copy from my library.

I viewed this entire DVD and it played fine. I'll do disc 2 and maybe select another to also copy from my library.
Well, the last three DVDs I did were fine. What I did was 1) uninstall and reinstall CloneDVD, and 2) reduced the burn speed to 4X from Maximum.
The DVD+RDL I'm using (sony) are labeled as 2.4X, so to be sure, I'll probably back off from 4X to that, even though these three discs are perfect. A suggestion for future versions may be to default to the slower speed and let folks select higher if they want/can.
I'll continue doing what I'm doing and if I see this behavior return I'll repost.
Thanks.
PS Still would like to know where it was getting those older video clips......?!

Well, the last three DVDs I did were fine. What I did was 1) uninstall and reinstall CloneDVD, and 2) reduced the burn speed to 4X from Maximum.
The DVD+RDL I'm using (sony) are labeled as 2.4X, so to be sure, I'll probably back off from 4X to that, even though these three discs are perfect. A suggestion for future versions may be to default to the slower speed and let folks select higher if they want/can.
I'll continue doing what I'm doing and if I see this behavior return I'll repost.
Thanks.
PS Still would like to know where it was getting those older video clips......?!
You shouldn't be burning at 4x on 16x rated media.

You shouldn't be burning at 4x on 16x rated media.
Like I stated, these Sony DVD+R DL are labeled, around the center hole, as "DVD+R DL Ver. 1.1 / 2.4x". Don't know where your 16X comment came from. My burner may be capable of the higher speed (I'm certain it is), but not this media.

Like I stated, these Sony DVD+R DL are labeled, around the center hole, as "DVD+R DL Ver. 1.1 / 2.4x". Don't know where your 16X comment came from. My burner may be capable of the higher speed (I'm certain it is), but not this media.
I know they are 2.4x but why did you mention 4x then?

Back