• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vista - Should "upgrade" or not?

ivanX

Translator (ru)
Hello everybody,

I recently managed to get my hands on a copy of Vista Business. Yes, it's all legal, being a software developer, I'm allowed treats like that :D

I tell you what, I'm seriously tempted to install Vista over the top of my XP. However, I don't want to rush it, which brings me onto the dilemma: to be or not to be?

My system spec is below and Vista Upgrade advisor tells me that "I'm allowed" to upgrade so no probs there. In the past, I thought I'd put Vista on when I upgrade my machine, but if it's ok on this one then why not?

Spec:

Code:
Gigabyte 7S748-L Socket A
AMD AthlonXP 2400+
1 Gb PC2700 DDR (333MHz)
PNY nVidia 6600
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital 320Gb HDD (60Gb free)
WinXP SP2
If there are any more details to spec that you'd like me to add then say so.

I don't want you to convince me to upgrade to Vista, just be productive in sensible in your suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance :clap:

Hi :)
I use Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
Can't say I experience any problems myself.
However if you've not already done it. Then maybe you should wait till SP1 is available.
If you go ahead, then dual boot might be worthwhile for now too.

I use Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
Can't say I experience any problems myself.
However if you've not already done it. Then maybe you should wait till SP1 is available.
If you go ahead, then dual boot might be worthwhile for now too.

You say you use Vista Ultimate 32 bit. What made you jump on that bandwagon?

I just built a new semi-gaming system for my girlfriend. I've got her dual booting Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition on a raid 0 configuration, and Windows XP pro 32 bit edition on the third hard drive. The only reason I put Vista on her system was for directx 10 gaming (speaking of which, Game Jackal needs to be updated for Vista 64). Otherwise, I wouldn't have her bother with Vista (as I feel it's mostly DRM laden junk). Also, I'd recommend a minimum of 2 gigs memory for Vista (but 1 gig is possible).

By the way, on the exact same system, Vista Ultimate 64 edition won't shutdown properly. I've disabled the modem. I've tried every possible ACPI setting in bios. Vista does attempt to shutdown, but I just get a blank screen. On the same system, Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition shuts down perfectly fine.
I'm sure if I call Microsoft they'll tell me to contact the motherboard manufacturer and update the bios. Bios is up to date, and the motherboard does support Vista 64 . . . XP does shutdown properly. So . . .

Last edited:
I've long been planning bumping up my memory to 2Gb. I do play a handful of games, but nothing really new. So will it be of significance to buy another stick of memory?

I've long been planning bumping up my memory to 2Gb. I do play a handful of games, but nothing really new. So will it be of significance to buy another stick of memory?

For new Directx 10 games, yes . . .

Hello everybody,

I recently managed to get my hands on a copy of Vista Business. Yes, it's all legal, being a software developer, I'm allowed treats like that :D

I tell you what, I'm seriously tempted to install Vista over the top of my XP. However, I don't want to rush it, which brings me onto the dilemma: to be or not to be?

My system spec is below and Vista Upgrade advisor tells me that "I'm allowed" to upgrade so no probs there. In the past, I thought I'd put Vista on when I upgrade my machine, but if it's ok on this one then why not?

Spec:

Code:
Gigabyte 7S748-L Socket A
AMD AthlonXP 2400+
1 Gb PC2700 DDR (333MHz)
PNY nVidia 6600
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital 320Gb HDD (60Gb free)
WinXP SP2
If there are any more details to spec that you'd like me to add then say so.

I don't want you to convince me to upgrade to Vista, just be productive in sensible in your suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance :clap:
If XP is working fine for you right now and you are able to get work done, why upgrade? If it ain't broke don't fix it?

For new Directx 10 games, yes . . .

The "newest" couple of games I play are Call of Duty 2 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted

If XP is working fine for you right now and you are able to get work done, why upgrade? If it ain't broke don't fix it?

XP is working fine. I can and I do get the work done. I ain't broke. I'm not trying to fix it. The most painful headache would probably come in having to upgrade to new Norton Internet Security, because Symantec are too kind not to offer a service pack to smooth out the compatibility problems. My NIS '04 didn't make the cut in Vista Upgrade Advisor :(

Simply much of the s/w I used wasn't supported by 64 bit.
I was one of the 1st folk to go over to Vista.
I haven't bothered with dual boot either.
If I had gone with 64 bit, I would've had to have gone down the dual boot road.
With what I know now. I would've (should've) waited till now & gone with 64 bit.
I intend on moving over to 64 bit before the end of the year.
But I do feel Vista is the way to go. :D

The most painful headache would probably come in having to upgrade to new Norton Internet Security, because Symantec are too kind not to offer a service pack to smooth out the compatibility problems.(

No Norton?...............That sounds like a "good thing".:agree:

I wasn't talking about you. It's the old saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

sorry, I mistyped there. I meant "It ain't broke"

No Norton?...............That sounds like a "good thing".:agree:

Let's not divert the thread in that way. It has kept me safe for the past 3 years, so I personally have no complaints. What I am complaining about is that they won't make 2004-5 versions of their software compatible with Vista. Therefore, I got my subscription money back and still got 11 months left :D

Simply much of the s/w I used wasn't supported by 64 bit.
I was one of the 1st folk to go over to Vista.
I haven't bothered with dual boot either.
If I had gone with 64 bit, I would've had to have gone down the dual boot road.
With what I know now. I would've (should've) waited till now & gone with 64 bit.
I intend on moving over to 64 bit before the end of the year.
But I do feel Vista is the way to go. :D

Thanks for that, very informative. I'd still like to know though why you went to Vista and why Ultimate edition? Thanks a lot :)

Thanks for that, very informative. I'd still like to know though why you went to Vista and why Ultimate edition? Thanks a lot :)

I went for Vista in the 1st place to make better use of my setup.
Better integration of SATA HDs. Especially in raid format. The lure of DirectX10 (though that looks like it could be pure folly). Plus the future with HD/BD etc.
Vista home is XP with a Vista look, Premium not much better. I don't think Business was out (but probably wouldn't have considered it anyway).
Having XP Pro meant to me the logical move was to Ultimate,

I went for Vista in the 1st place to make better use of my setup.
Better integration of SATA HDs. Especially in raid format. The lure of DirectX10 (though that looks like it could be pure folly). Plus the future with HD/BD etc.
Vista home is XP with a Vista look, Premium not much better. I don't think Business was out (but probably wouldn't have considered it anyway).
Having XP Pro meant to me the logical move was to Ultimate,

I see. So, in your opinion, would it be better to upgrade from XP to Vista on an existing machine or build a new rig and then install it? Thanks again :clap:

I see. So, in your opinion, would it be better to upgrade from XP to Vista on an existing machine or build a new rig and then install it? Thanks again :clap:

Because of Vista being new (+ it probably makes it easier for MS).
It you buy OEM version, then it is easier to keep this for the new build. If possible.
Otherwise it may prove difficult getting activation.
There are reputedly ways around this. Although MS says it has ways of IDing these & will simply disable PC.
I had this (although it was down to ZoneAlarm removing my activation). If/when this happens, the PC loses some part of the setup (s/w). So at first you may unaware of the process. It takes three days minium before the PC visibly tells you of any problems. At this point using system restore will not work.
You have to get a code from MS, if your genuine. Then reactivation via telephone as the automated setup will not work either.

Back