• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneCD stalls at "filling buffers"

nitewulf69

I haven't used CloneCD in quite a while. I updated it to 5.3.4.0 a few weeks ago and decided to try copying a CD today. I'm also running AnyDVD 8.0.4.3 if that matters. I have copied CDs fine before, but not with the latest version(s). I only Use Verbatim CD-Rs. I placed the CD I wanted to copy in my Blu-ray DVD/CD burner/reader an LG HL-DT-ST (WH14NS40) and a blank CD-R in the CD-writer an ASUS DRW-24B1ST.
Like I said, I used to make many copies of CDs this way, 1-1 on the fly copy. Anyway, CloneCD hung at "filling buffers" and never started so I had to use ALT-CTRL-DEL to terminate the program. I then had to restart my computer to get the BD-RE drive to give up the disc. Unable to make a 1-1 copy, I was then able to simply use my ASUS burner to copy the CD files to the HD and then burn back as MP3's using FreeRIP MP3 converter.

So, why did CloneCD hang at filling buffers? If it was a bad disc, my Asus certainly had no trouble burning the files to image and back to CD. Perhaps my LG Blu-ray just didn't like the disc?

I have used 5.3.4.0. to burn many CDs and rip and burn later some DVDs with no issue on a win7 machine. However I do have it set to read to HDD first then write when copying. And not writing while reading (on-the-fly). I would test not using on-the-fly and run a complete copy. To see if it hangs then. With the processor dedication it needs for that you could have something else using those resources now. You could also swap the source and writer also.

Thanks, nebostrangla. This is weird. The LG BD drive locked up even when trying to write to image using CloneCD and also it locked up using Imgburn. I had to force close each program and restart the PC to eject the CD. Both programs work fine with the ASUS CD drive, although CloneCD took over a minute to "verify" the drive. I mainly just use the BD drive to watch Blu-Ray movies on PowerDVD and it does that just fine. I thought maybe I had a driver conflict, but if that were the case, the Asus would misbehave also. Anyway, as long as I can write with the Asus that will do for now until I have time to look into why the BD drive suddenly won't read or write Cds.

Good to know it's not CCD causing your issue. I would check your cable and maybe reinstall it and the drive. Does CCD recognize the drive correctly. And does it say it's compatible. It will tell you at the reading stage information about the drive on the right-hand side. I will tell you I used a GGC-H20L until it had disc recognition errors with AnyDVDHD with no issues. And now use a BH10LS30 with original firmware with no issues both LG BD drives. As both source and writer.
Hope that helps.

Yes, CCD recognizes the drive and all indicators on the right hand side are "yes" including the ability to read/write CD-Rs. I uninstalled and reinstalled from device manager with no result. Tomorrow I'll reseat the cables, but I would think it would throw errors reading and writing DVDs if the cable was not properly secure. I uninstalled imgburn in case it was conflicting with CCD, but made no difference. CCD still hangs at "filling buffers". I hate to replace an expensive BD writer unless i know for sure it is at fault.

Switch the source and write drives and see if it still hangs there.
If it does you could rollback a version and see if its a bug if you have one . If not I'm sure if you ask someone here would send you one.
You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling too. Before rolling back.

I have old versions and tried a couple of those; same result. I'll pull the BD drive tomorrow and reseat the cables. If that doesn't solve it, I've got a spare, older BD drive I will install. If that hangs too then I give up. A fresh reinstall of Windows might solve it, but not worth it at this time as I do have one drive that works fine.

I haven't used CloneCD in quite a while. I updated it to 5.3.4.0 a few weeks ago and decided to try copying a CD today. I'm also running AnyDVD 8.0.4.3 if that matters. I have copied CDs fine before, but not with the latest version(s). I only Use Verbatim CD-Rs. I placed the CD I wanted to copy in my Blu-ray DVD/CD burner/reader an LG HL-DT-ST (WH14NS40) and a blank CD-R in the CD-writer an ASUS DRW-24B1ST.
Like I said, I used to make many copies of CDs this way, 1-1 on the fly copy. Anyway, CloneCD hung at "filling buffers" and never started so I had to use ALT-CTRL-DEL to terminate the program. I then had to restart my computer to get the BD-RE drive to give up the disc. Unable to make a 1-1 copy, I was then able to simply use my ASUS burner to copy the CD files to the HD and then burn back as MP3's using FreeRIP MP3 converter.

So, why did CloneCD hang at filling buffers? If it was a bad disc, my Asus certainly had no trouble burning the files to image and back to CD. Perhaps my LG Blu-ray just didn't like the disc?
One thing never do "on the fly copy" unless that computer is isolate and that is all it does on the fly is asking for trouble. And on the fly requires two drives and nothing else running except the copying program CloneCD itself. On the Fly is highly resource intensive mode and any breaks or if this is on the computer your using at the same time expect problems. So if you want a good copy - copy to the HDD/SDD folder it creates and burn back to the media after it finishes.

I agree, but I used to do it all the time with no issues. Since I seldom copy CDs anymore, I'm perfectly fine with writing to an image file first and burning back to CD. I was just perplexed that one drive works with CloneCD and another won't even write to an image file yet it will do this with other programs. I didn't realize there were certain drives that CloneCD just doesn't like. I won't know for sure unless I replace the Bku-ray drive that won't work with CloneCD. I'll just use the one drive that does work with CloneCD to make the copies.

I agree, but I used to do it all the time with no issues. Since I seldom copy CDs anymore, I'm perfectly fine with writing to an image file first and burning back to CD. I was just perplexed that one drive works with CloneCD and another won't even write to an image file yet it will do this with other programs. I didn't realize there were certain drives that CloneCD just doesn't like. I won't know for sure unless I replace the Bku-ray drive that won't work with CloneCD. I'll just use the one drive that does work with CloneCD to make the copies.
CloneCD doesn't do BD copies that is CloneDVD that can make ISO from BD. And since no one has your media no one can really test what is going one either. The problem isn't CloneCD is the drive themselves that is the problem. On the fly requires two drives to work and lots of RAM and good CPU and nothing else should be running on it if you want a good backup. On the Fly is never recommend as that is a hit and miss.

CloneCD CAN make iso from a Blu-ray, it just can't burn them back to disc. And unless that's a typo, CloneDVD can't make bd iso's.

Back