• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

psp problem

no it just takes long to do a 720x480 movie. It took me nearly 4 hours to do 300 on this resolution.I aways encode to the HDD instead of the mem stick.

For comparision I did a movie using the PSP Video 9 740 x480 res, on my mid level athlon 3800 and using one Pass it took around 2 and a half hours.

hey there !

i red carefully all this thread as i have myself some trouble to play videos on my psp ...

i put my firmware on 3.52 in purpose as i saw that clone dvd mobile was proposing this new res of 780*480 ...

i do the encoding on my hard drive and then i copy it on my memory stick : memory stick that i formated in my psp when i put the firmware up to 3.52

i copyed the movie in the VIDEO folder : says "this video cannot be played"

i tryed in 480*272 with another movie and it works perfectly

i didnt really undertsand this 16/9 or other dvd format you guys were talking about so maybe it is coming from there but i doubt it :)

i guess that 480*272 is good enough but i just feel annoyed not to be able to use a format that is proposed by your software :)

any help would be more than welcome !

sorry for my english, it is not my mother language :p

i guess that 480*272 is good enough but i just feel annoyed not to be able to use a format that is proposed by your software :)

any help would be more than welcome !

sorry for my english, it is not my mother language :p

Two things:

1. I suspect that with 720x480 the PSP sometimes has trouble with the bitrate - does it work, if you don't pull the quality slider to the rightmost position? (for testing: try the lowest setting).

2. even more important: from what you are writing I suspect, you are trying to watch the 720x480 video on the PSPs screen.
Remember this: It makes absolutely no sense to watch a video with a higher resolution than the display has.
The PSPs display has 480x272 pixels, so the best quality you will ever get, is from videos created with exactly this resolution.
Videos with 720x480 will always have worse quality, because they have to be resized.
It only makes sense to create videos with that high a resolution, if you plan to watch them on an external monitor that actually supports this resolution.

well i wanted to use this 780*480 res to be able to see it on my computer as well if i felt like it : looking at a movie with someone else on a psp screen is not really comfortable :)

but i guess that the other one is good enough ...

just have one question though ? why proposing this 780*480 for psp then if it is not good ?

oh and thx for this quick answer :)

well i wanted to use this 780*480 res to be able to see it on my computer as well if i felt like it : looking at a movie with someone else on a psp screen is not really comfortable :)

but i guess that the other one is good enough ...

just have one question though ? why proposing this 780*480 for psp then if it is not good ?

oh and thx for this quick answer :)

you can hook up a TV set to the PSP to watch videos then. That's where this resolution would make some sense.
Not really, though...

a) limited space on the memstick,
b) max bitrate is not really fit for that resolution

There are many far better devices to use for this scenario, I wouldn't use the PSP for that. iPod does a much better job here.
Why we propose this resolution? Because other people asked for it and seem to be happy with it.
And we're not making software for ourselves, you know? ;)

ok :)

so this is impossible for me to watch a movie i encoded in 780*480 on my psp screen ?

great work anyway ! thx again

I am able to make movies at 720x480 that play on my PC, but not on my PSP. The only movie that has played so far on my PSP was Little Miss Sunshine.

To the user that ripped a movie to find only a thumbnail in the directory, that happened to me before I restarted my computer. After restarting, the program would make movie files as well.

After reading some other threads, it seems that the PSP requires low bit rates for 720x480 videos. That sucks. I guess that Sony's fault rather than SlySoft's. It's disappointing mostly because I have been ripping all my movies at 720x480 because I am being deployed and would rather keep them on my PC than bring all my DVDs or make backups of all of them. I had been using H.264 AVC so I could also play them on my PSP.

Do we know the exact bit rates that work with the different resolutions?

Last edited:
having trouble again kill bill vol.1 won't work just says can't play this video. i encoded it with 480x272 put it in the video folder like the others comes up with a pic and when i try to play it looks as if it wants to but then says cannot play this video. is there something i can do?

having trouble again kill bill vol.1 won't work just says can't play this video. i encoded it with 480x272 put it in the video folder like the others comes up with a pic and when i try to play it looks as if it wants to but then says cannot play this video. is there something i can do?

Try lowering the bitrate a little, does that help? Did you use multipass?

i'll try that and what does multipass do does it really help?

Basically it improves quality while maintaining the same file size.
But it also reduces peak bitrates.

When transcoding the whole film to the "new" PSP format, I can't get an mp4 file that PSP recognizes. But if I only transcode a few chapters (1-3), it works fine. I finish the work before transfer to PSP.
(3.52)

When transcoding the whole film to the "new" PSP format, I can't get an mp4 file that PSP recognizes. But if I only transcode a few chapters (1-3), it works fine. I finish the work before transfer to PSP.
(3.52)

Same problem here, but only with certain movies like "The Messenger" region 1.

I'm having a problem encoding videos in the 480x272 resolution as well. It seems to be hit or miss for me. For example, Children of Men came out great but Sideways didn't, it played on my PC but didn't on my PSP. I converted a couple of animes with multiple episodes on each. On one DVD, the 1st and 4th episode of that disc didn't play on my PSP, but the 2nd and 3rd did. I tried a Cowboy Bebop disc and the 1st episode didn't play but episodes 2 through 5 did, so weird.
I decided to start saving the debugging information to see if there was a difference between videos that worked and didn't and the only difference I found was that on a video which didn't work I found this message: Location of layer break failed. On a video that did work I saw a 'Successfully removed layer break'. Not sure what this means but could it have something to do with the videos not playing? Thanks in advance.

Back