• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New Protection on Crank and Marine?

Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD for well over a year. Great Product! Copied Crank and Marine this week. AnyDVD (6.1.1.4) created the ISO image without problem. Burned with CloneDVD without problem or errors. When I put the burned DVD back in the computer AnyDVD thinks the movie is dirty or scratched. I clear the error message and then AnyDVD decrypts the burned movie again and says the DVD still has 2 bad sector protections it has fixed, it has to patch the UDF file system and it found and removed a bogus title set. Tried it several times on 2 different DVD-DL burners and 2 different computers. Any ideas? And yes I'm using the current versions of both AnyDVD (6.1.1.4) and CloneDVD (2.9.0.3) and the latest firmware for my burners. I use Windows XP.

Even tried 2 different copies of Crank with the same result. Something is keeping AnyDVD from removing ALL the protections on the first try. Backing up other new releases without problem. It must be a new form of protection?

This is the output from AnyDVD with the Original DVD in the drive:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.1.4)
MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X 1.F2 06031500
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Crank
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed error zones between files!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 8 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I back it up like I have always done with CloneDVD to ISO image. I then burn the ISO image with CloneDVD on DVD-DL media - the same I've always used with no problems. I then insert the new copy of the DVD and AnyDVD says it can't read it - FAILED TO READ DVD! I click ok. AnyDVD thinks about the disc for awhile and then gives me this output.

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.1.4)
MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X 1.F2 06031500
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1930096 sectors (3769 MBytes)
Total size: 3860192 sectors (7539 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Crank
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed bogus title set!
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

If anyone at SlySoft could look at this I would greatly like your help. I've noticed this same behavior on The Last Kiss, Crank and the Marine. It has got to be something new.

Last edited:
I updated my post with more information.

No Problem here.

I have successfully backed up both of these with AnyDVD 6.1.1.4 and CloneDVD 2 ver. 2.9.0.3. I must ask this question: Why "rip" it to the HDD 1st? I just select copy dvd titles, back up the main movie only and it does this quickly, effeciently, and with excellent palyback results. I even backe up the ENTIRE "Open Season" movie to a DVD5 disc with no problem.Again, perfect playback, no errors during the back-up. I do not rip to HDD 1st. I use CloneDVD 2 as always, select DVD Writer as target drive, let CloneDVD 2 use it's own "temporary folder" as the temporary image file. No ripping to the drive, ever. I hope this helps someone.

I have successfully backed up both of these with AnyDVD 6.1.1.4 and CloneDVD 2 ver. 2.9.0.3. I must ask this question: Why "rip" it to the HDD 1st? I just select copy dvd titles, back up the main movie only and it does this quickly, effeciently, and with excellent palyback results. I even backe up the ENTIRE "Open Season" movie to a DVD5 disc with no problem.Again, perfect playback, no errors during the back-up. I do not rip to HDD 1st. I use CloneDVD 2 as always, select DVD Writer as target drive, let CloneDVD 2 use it's own "temporary folder" as the temporary image file. No ripping to the drive, ever. I hope this helps someone.
Technically, you rip it to the HDD when CloneDVD2 uses it's own "temporary folder." ;)

There's no new protection on Crank. Anydvd and Clonedvd2 handle this title without issue and have for awhile now.

Yes, but....

Technically, you rip it to the HDD when CloneDVD2 uses it's own "temporary folder." ;)

This is technically very different from using AnyDVD's "ripper" to create an ISO image. CloneDVD's image get's deleted automatically after exit CloneDVD. There IS a difference here. What I am sayiong is WHY take the extra step to "create an ISO image, when CloneDVD2 does this automatically? And, deletes the image automatically.

I'm not complaining about AnyDVD I'm just trying to let SlySoft know something new is going on with some of the latest releases. Something on/in these movies is confusing AnyDVD and not letting it get all the protection off the first time. Just look at the output files from above. The first one is from the original dvd and the secound output is from the decrypted and burned DVD - it still is showing protection on the disc.

This is technically very different from using AnyDVD's "ripper" to create an ISO image. CloneDVD's image get's deleted automatically after exit CloneDVD. There IS a difference here. What I am sayiong is WHY take the extra step to "create an ISO image, when CloneDVD2 does this automatically? And, deletes the image automatically.
I agree. I think some rip it to the HDD so they can watch it directly from the computer though.

i backed up the marine with any DVD and shrink. no problems..Open season i used the new DVD fab with shrink.

I do it all the time before I burn a video, watch it from the temp folder and then if all is okay burn it. It may not be your style to do it this way and that is okay but it is a great way of getting a perfect backup.:clap:

I do it all the time before I burn a video, watch it from the temp folder and then if all is okay burn it. It may not be your style to do it this way and that is okay but it is a great way of getting a perfect backup.:clap:
Good idea though.

The reason I did it the way I did is because after 93% of the burn was done I got errors and this corrected that.

Last edited:
Just look at the output files from above. The first one is from the original dvd and the secound output is from the decrypted and burned DVD - it still is showing protection on the disc.

I don't know how the thread got off track from what I was asking? I was just wondering if anyone knew why AnyDVD and CloneDVD was not removing all the protection from some of the new movies?:confused:

I posted that it is doing it as if you read my post #2.

Back