• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Thinking about the new Plextor 810SA

tmckin1211

You can take this information for what it is worth. I recently had a new computer built Duo Core 2, 2.4 GHZ, 3 Gigs of ram, XP and two Plextor 810SA 16X Sata Burners. I spent about an hour on the phone with a senior tech at Plextor today. It seems that they were unaware that these new burners had any problems (right). We tried everything he could think of to get these burners to write to DVD-R Verbatim discs. They work with Verbatim DVD+R discs but after an hour I ended up with a complaint number and they still will not write to DVD-R.

I also did a burn test between my old computer P4, 2.8 GHZ, 3 Gigs of ram, XP, 1 Pioneer D110 IDE 16X Burner and 1 Plextor 760A IDE 16X Burner against the new one above. I burned the same movie using the same settings on both for AnyDvd and CloneDvd2, recent updates.

It took my new computer 16 minutes from start to finish, my old computer did it in 11 minutes. If SATA is the future of burners then Plextor needs to remove the big words printed on the box Turbo Charged, I thing they are going backwards not forward.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on any other brands of SATA burners, Plextor is not ready yet.

tmckin1211

You can take this information for what it is worth. I recently had a new computer built Duo Core 2, 2.4 GHZ, 3 Gigs of ram, XP and two Plextor 810SA 16X Sata Burners. I spent about an hour on the phone with a senior tech at Plextor today. It seems that they were unaware that these new burners had any problems (right). We tried everything he could think of to get these burners to write to DVD-R Verbatim discs. They work with Verbatim DVD+R discs but after an hour I ended up with a complaint number and they still will not write to DVD-R.

I also did a burn test between my old computer P4, 2.8 GHZ, 3 Gigs of ram, XP, 1 Pioneer D110 IDE 16X Burner and 1 Plextor 760A IDE 16X Burner against the new one above. I burned the same movie using the same settings on both for AnyDvd and CloneDvd2, recent updates.

It took my new computer 16 minutes from start to finish, my old computer did it in 11 minutes. If SATA is the future of burners then Plextor needs to remove the big words printed on the box Turbo Charged, I thing they are going backwards not forward.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on any other brands of SATA burners, Plextor is not ready yet.

tmckin1211
I thought someone else ran into a similar problem. Web you remember right?

SATA is not the problem.....I have been using two Plextor SATA DVDRW's for almost 2 yrs and they are flawless performers. It would seem that Plextor needs a firmware change for that drive and I am sure they will have one as soon as they determine that your case is not an isolated situation.
Comparing burn times in two different PC's is really not a conclusive test.
Both of the DVDRW's would need to be in the same PC to come to do any accurate testing.

I am looking for another brand that somone could recommend and inform others of my problems.

The PX810SA isn't a real Plextor drive. I think it's a Pioneer DVR-212 rebadge.

The PX800 is a Optiarc AD-7170 rebadge.

Plextor isn't making dvd-rw drives anymore (the PX-760 being the last real Plextor burner . . .)

Consequently, I don't see much of a point in buying either the PX800 nor the PX810SA . . .

I do have a Pioneer dvr-212d burner in the house that I haven't tested yet, and as I
don't use Verbatim dvd-rs, I doubt I will able to reproduce the issue.

You paid a premium for your PX-810SA, so I wouldn't recommend crossflashing with other firmware to see if the problem will go away, as that will void your warranty.

Since more than one person is experiencing the issue, Plextor or another company (Pioneer) will likely be addressing the issue at some point (and the firmware should then trickle down to Plextor).

Last edited:
SATA is not the problem.....I have been using two Plextor SATA DVDRW's for almost 2 yrs and they are flawless performers. It would seem that Plextor needs a firmware change for that drive and I am sure they will have one as soon as they determine that your case is not an isolated situation.
Comparing burn times in two different PC's is really not a conclusive test.
Both of the DVDRW's would need to be in the same PC to come to do any accurate testing.

May I ask what model number you are using?

The PX810SA isn't a real Plextor drive. I think it's a Pioneer DVR-212 rebadge.

The PX800 is a Optiarc AD-7170 rebadge.

Plextor isn't making dvd-rw drives anymore.

I sure wish I knew this before buying them, I thought having and using Plextor in the past it was a good choice.

I sure wish I knew this before buying them, I thought having and using Plextor in the past it was a good choice.

I do have a couple of PX-760a burners. They work great (for what I want).

But I wouldn't touch any of those rebadges (just paying more for the Plextor name, imo, except the technical support tends to be a lot better--and free).

Last edited:
I do have a couple of PX-760a burners. They work great (for what I want).

But I wouldn't touch any of those rebadges (just paying more for the Plextor name, imo).

You and the others seem to have a real handle on all this new equipment out there. Maybe you can steer me in the right direction, I respect your opinions.

Maybe you can steer me in the right direction, I respect your opinions.

Errr . . . I'm not sure I know what your question is? I don't enjoy recommending burners to people. I'll defer to other people's opinions. I do have very strong opinions about certain brands and burners, but there are a lot of fanboys out there. The PX-760SA isn't bad (I don't know if you plan to use it as a ripping drive; if so, you may want to look elsewhere as you tend to have to hold down the eject button to enable speedread . . . and you should contact Plextor before buying any to ensure they are compatible with your motherboard. Also, they aren't easy to find anymore; these are just sata versions of the PX-760a, which you already own).

For $30-$60 (average, cheap, non-Plextor burner costs), most people don't realize that amount of money doesn't leave a lot of room for quality control. The manufacturers cut corners (and the burner market is pretty cutthroat on costs . . . same with blank dvd media; most people don't want to pay the premium for quality blank media, for example), and there are a fair amount of burners that die, in general, under all brand names. This didn't use the be the case with cd-rw burners, back when a good Plextor one would cost $200-$250. I still have an old PX-W1210A (first Plextor cd-rw burner with burnproof) Plextor cd-rw burner that refuses to die 7 years later (this is back when "The King of Quality" actually meant something). At one point, Yamaha and Plextor made the best burners. Then Yamaha went under/stopped making them, and now Plextor is basically going the same route.

Last edited:
I looked on Plextor's site and the 810SA does not support -R media.
Look on Newegg, find a DVDRW you like and and check the reviews.

I looked on Plextor's site and the 810SA does not support -R media.

Yes, it does.

http://www.plextor.be/products/px-810sa.asp?choice=PX-810SA

"Specifications

Write & Read speed

Write
DVD+R 18x
DVD+R DL 10x
DVD-R 18x

At 18x, the Serial-ATA PX-810SA is still one of the fastest drives in the world. It also incorporates multi-format (DVD+/-R & DVD-RAM)"

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/pdfs/datasheets/PX-810SA.pdf

And Verbatim is listed as supported under recommended media for dvd-r.

Last edited:
What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

My next suggestion was too try a different brand of media also. Although I highly doubt that it will change anything. Personally, I would exchange the drive and see what happens as I find it more than odd that it won't work with -R Verbatim.

My next suggestion was too try a different brand of media also. Although I highly doubt that it will change anything. Personally, I would exchange the drive and see what happens as I find it more than odd that it won't work with -R Verbatim.

Well, they might be the CMC made Verbatims with the MAP6 serial:
visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4720598&postcount=88
and http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4796681&postcount=112

That would explain a lot, actually . . .

Also visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2589

Both MAP6 (CMC made Verbatim dvd-rs) and PAP6 (CMC made Verbatim dvd+rs) should probably be avoided. I didn't think there were a lot of those still being sold, but maybe there are.

Last edited:
I assume it was a mistake in the PDF file since you saw elsewhere that it does support -R.

I assume it was a mistake in the PDF file since you saw elsewhere that it does support -R.
Why would someone make a drive that doesn't support the format that is officially from the DVD Forum itself? Every drive should support -R.

Back