• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long will DVDs last?

I checked the Grex system.
The website says it's a Microvision Protection Remover, not a HDCP stripper...besides ..it's analog.
Should this still work?
It's also just supporting standard DVD. No HD, and no UHD.

Come now...even you must realize some old-tech analog just can't live forever when digital data streams are used.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#SLR

Software Streaming recorders have been around a while too there's two big ones I won't post, but I don't see fox getting into this arena, as there are already 2 really big players going at it. And both are exceptional at what they do.
Well...I didn't mean they'd get into it NOW...:) but they may still consider it, if there's newer protections added to the streams by then, that no one else can figure out.

I'm just pointing to the easiest of the methods with the grex but there are others as well, hdcp down steppers and strippers etc.

As streaming... I don't think this is the right avenue for the fox to follow. They're way behind if they start from scratch as they normally do.
Maybe a stream disassembler that can remove drm components from the container or clean out in codec drm from video/audio from a RAW DOWNLOADED stream but as far as a recorder like modern programs do; it's not a place I'd like to see the fox go.
A lot of work to join a party very late.

Last edited:
OK...understood.

I didn't think they'd involve themselves with it either..because by that time, they'd all be retired and enjoying the sunny days at their own private tropical island and beach, with their families. ;)

I'm just pointing to the easiest of the methods with the grex but there are others as well, hdcp down steppers and strippers etc.

As streaming... I don't think this is the right avenue for the fox to follow. They're way behind if they start from scratch as they normally do.
Maybe a stream disassembler that can remove drm components from the container or clean out in codec drm from video/audio from a RAW DOWNLOADED stream but as far as a recorder like modern programs do; it's not a place I'd like to see the fox go.
A lot of work to join a party very late.

Well I'll limit the discussion off topic to this; play is a commercial time shift/ location shift app that's by far the best at its game. And you get what you pay for with it though you do pay a bit.

Dvdvr/vvcr is a semi-free mostly-open-source app that while less compatible over all with services is far more versatile in that it's a top layer screen recorder. When all else fails you can just record the whole screen and crop it later.
Play has been around since the dawn of streaming... Dvdvr, as vvcr, was released on 8 and 16 bit Windows, cp/m dos and and various x*nix systems and is highly flexible though not easy to use for beginners beyond the default options. Last update was in February this year.
Most of it's functionality requires use of the command line interface, intricate knowledge of the various codecs being used and their settings etc.

Grex does support analogue hd but correct not uhd on their primary unit. Do to a lawsuit against another HDMI company they pulled their highest level unit. But you can find it on ebay, with digital support (HDMI, dvi, DisplayPort, FireWire; inputs etc) and a single HDMI out.

Last edited:
There hasn't been much discussion in this thread as of late but I ran across a news article the other day and ran across another version of it again today. Google is scaling back it's fiber project. Even for Google it's winding up too expensive.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/cloud/is-alphabet-scaling-back-google-fiber.html
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/25/larry_page_snuffs_out_too_expensive_google_fiber

Wow...this may inspire the Movie Industry to start sponsoring GoogleFiber to keep going, for an IN with movie streaming rights over the GoogleFiber Network.

Maybe THIS is how it all starts..!! :)

I just think Google should ask Government for a 1/2 billion dollar grant to go across the entire country with upgraded optical fiber, instead of cable-wire.

What do you estimate blanketing the entire USA with Optical Internet Fiber would cost?

Wow...this may inspire the Movie Industry to start sponsoring GoogleFiber to keep going, for an IN with movie streaming rights over the GoogleFiber Network.

I just think Google should ask Government for a 1/2 billion dollar grant to go across the entire country with upgraded optical fiber, instead of cable-wire.

What do you estimate blanketing the entire USA with Optical Internet Fiber would cost?
The funny thing is that a lot of cities have built fiber optic networks. But the cable industry state laws prevent them from offering it to the public. My city has a fiber optics network available to most of the city and outlining areas. State laws prevent them from offering it to the general public. So now they use it to attract businesses only.

The funny thing is that a lot of cities have built fiber optic networks. But the cable industry state laws prevent them from offering it to the public. My city has a fiber optics network available to most of the city and outlining areas. State laws prevent them from offering it to the general public. So now they use it to attract businesses only.
Regardless I got Fiber as well but I like to choose physical media why. Because I can play whenever and whatever I like on my standalone without having to be online to get access or be blocked from streaming services. Also my media can go portable more cumbersome but I know I can watch whenever if I don't have internet access.

I heard something like that. In my city, the phone company was given $100 million by the Feds, to install fiber. There were installers that came in with huge spools of the fiber, stuffing it into the underground network of sewer systems, where the electric and other phone cables were, is where they put the never used high-speed fiber system ...
...IN THE MID or LATE 1970's ...!

This was the promise given in the 1960's worlds fair, ... of video telephones, and other fantasy stuff that also never came to be...until the smart phone...haha..!

Last edited:
Regardless I got Fiber as well but I like to choose physical media why. Because I can play whenever and whatever I like on my standalone without having to be online to get access or be blocked from streaming services. Also my media can go portable more cumbersome but I know I can watch whenever if I don't have internet access.
I agree...I also would rather have my own collection to play as I choose.
This is why we have AnyDVD ...to create our own playlists of stuff we own.

But I also like to see what's out there too, sometimes...to collect more. :)

There hasn't been much discussion in this thread as of late but I ran across a news article the other day and ran across another version of it again today. Google is scaling back it's fiber project. Even for Google it's winding up too expensive.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/cloud/is-alphabet-scaling-back-google-fiber.html
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/25/larry_page_snuffs_out_too_expensive_google_fiber
I figure this would come to a head - there are cost in laying Fiber.

I agree...I also would rather have my own collection to play as I choose.
This is why we have AnyDVD ...to create our own playlists of stuff we own.

But I also like to see what's out there too, sometimes...to collect more. :)
Nothing wrong with having more choices and streaming isn't cheap either because you need to have a ISP to begin to stream and not all places permit you to sit and stream on their internet as they now require you make a purchase of product at their location to keep using their wifi-so this day of just free wifi internet location is getting small.

I figure this would come to a head - there are cost in laying Fiber.
I actually don't think it's over, yet, for Google. :)
Do you really think they'll simply give up without seeking other investors to sponsor their efforts?
If they need quick funds, they may very-well go to the Movie Industry, to make that streaming video deal with them.
It all depends on how desperate Google gets to finish the project.

Nothing wrong with having more choices and streaming isn't cheap either because you need to have a ISP to begin to stream and not all places permit you to sit and stream on their internet as they now require you make a purchase of product at their location to keep using their wifi-so this day of just free wifi internet location is getting small.
Well...if Google-Fiber can ever come to be (right now it just sounds like a breakfast cereal... ;) ) ...
...they were going to be the ISP, so it was all to be included in the pricing for the service.

I really hoped they would have come here..!
I'm paying nearly $70 USD NOW for just 15Mbits/s down and 5Mbits/s UPload, so getting 1GBits/s for $70 was very nice to consider.

An interesting WSJ article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/googles-high-speed-web-plans-hit-snags-1471193165

The WSJ article is particularly interesting, IMO. Yes, the fiber rollout was expensive. It always is. Google recently acquired Webpass Inc which beams service from an antenna connected to fiber on one end to the end-user on the oither with a receiving antenna. If the technology is feasible and scalable then why use all physical fiber lines?

An interesting WSJ article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/googles-high-speed-web-plans-hit-snags-1471193165

The WSJ article is particularly interesting, IMO. Yes, the fiber rollout was expensive. It always is. Google recently acquired Webpass Inc which beams service from an antenna connected to fiber on one end to the end-user on the oither with a receiving antenna. If the technology is feasible and scalable then why use all physical fiber lines?
This is nice too, as long as it (the wifi link) doesn't degrade the faster 1GBit per second speed of the original service with fiber.

I didn't see any mention of that in the article...if the wireless receivers still get the full 100 MBytes (1GBit) speed.
Even if not, it's still going to be faster than the 15MBits I get now with cable :)

New information: https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/16/google-fiber-is-restructuring

[...]

Wired says running fiber optic cables into people's homes has become too expensive for the company. A Recode report last year says it costs Mountain View $1 billion to bring Fiber to a new market. The service is also often named as Google's most expensive venture. That's why the company instructed former Fiber CEO Craig Barratt to find a way to lower costs and cut off half of his 500 employees.

Under the new CEO, Fiber might make use of Webpass, a company that Access bought last year. Webpass beams high-speed broadband through networks of small antennas. Access even petitioned the FTC to open up more of the wireless spectrum Webpass uses. Fiber could also use an internet technology Webpass tested that can follow you wherever you go and guarantee a certain amount of bandwidth.

Despite these changes, you won't have anything to worry about if you already have Fiber: you get to keep your high-speed internet. You can also still sign up for a connection if the service is available in your location, and Fiber will continue its rollout in Nashville, Louisville and San Antonio.

Fits with my original speculation.

Back