• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD 1.0.8.5 Beta - audio regression

camperxl

Tested out 1.0.8.5 Beta. Major audio regression on my Lost In Space discs. Audio is completely garbled/warbley. Had previously been ok.

Using LG BP40NS20 drive. Attaching log and short resulting file (also sent to bugs@elby.ch).

Note to devs: PLEASE implement support for Mono audio. The source is Mono. Why futz with it and transmux to Stereo?

Attachments

• LIS_S1_D1.zip
    247.9 KB · Views: 2
Tested out 1.0.8.5 Beta. Major audio regression on my Lost In Space discs. Audio is completely garbled/warbley. Had previously been ok.

Using LG BP40NS20 drive. Attaching log and short resulting file (also sent to bugs@elby.ch).

Note to devs: PLEASE implement support for Mono audio. The source is Mono. Why futz with it and transmux to Stereo?

Thanks for the info.
Mono is hardly ever seen on BDs. We'll check this.

@Reto - Could not disagree more about Mono being rarely seen on BDs. In my collection alone, which is not extensive, I have Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, Batman (TV Series), Bruce Lee Collection, most of my Alfred Hitchcock movies (10+ movies), many of my James Bond movies, The Andy Griffith Show. So not directly supporting Mono has a big effect on collectors of older/classic movies & TV shows.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more about Mono being rarely seen on BDs. In my collection alone, which is not extensive, I have Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, Batman (TV Series), Bruce Lee Collection, most of my Alfred Hitchcock movies (10+ movies), many of my James Bond movies, The Andy Griffith Show. So not directly supporting Mono has a big effect on collectors of older/classic movies & TV shows.

Is the mono audio on these BDs as actual mono or as stereo with the two channels carrying the same mono sound?

I ask because the one Blu-ray I own that actually has the sound on it in true mono format fails to play with audio in some players so I kind of assumed that maybe real mono audio wasn't strictly allowed within the Blu-ray spec.

But that was total speculation.

Either way the option to re-code to true mono when outputting to a file is needed and useful.

Camperxl's collection sounds a lot like mine, and though I didnt download the beta yet I can confirm the importance of mono :)

Is the mono audio on these BDs as actual mono or as stereo with the two channels carrying the same mono sound?

To be honest I'm not certain. Sound comes out of both speakers (as opposed to just one). I don't have my entire collection at my fingertips, but the information presented by PowerDVD for:

Batman (TV series): Audio: Dolby Digital 1.0 192kbps / Output: LPCM 48KHz/16bits 2 channels
The Shaw Brothers - Brothers Five: Audio: LPCM 2.0 1536Kbps / Output LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 channels
Psycho: Audio: DTS 2.0 384Kbps / Output LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels
The Birds: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / LPCM 48Khz /16bits 2 Channels
Rear Window: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / LPCM 48Khz /16bits 2 Channels
The Magnificent Seven: Dolby Digital 2.0 / LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Dolby Digital 2.0 / LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels
Dr. No: Dolby Digital 2.0 / LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels
Lost In Space: DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 / Output: LPCM 48KHz/16bits 2 Channels
The Andy Griffith Show (Season 1): LPCM 2.0 1536Kbps / Output: LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels
The Twilight Zone: LPCM 2.0 1536Kbps / Output: LPCM 48Khz/16bits 2 Channels

(I'll edit this list as I try different Mono discs)

Last edited:
In all movies the info states 2 channels of audio

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Could not disagree more about Mono being rarely seen on BDs. In my collection alone, which is not extensive, I have Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, Batman (TV Series), Bruce Lee Collection, most of my Alfred Hitchcock movies (10+ movies), many of my James Bond movies, The Andy Griffith Show. So not directly supporting Mono has a big effect on collectors of older/classic movies & TV shows.

I can see that mono discs do pool up if you have those preferences, but there may be 100 discs with mono altogether out of a rough total of 100,000, that still does qualify for "rare" ;)
We have a little over two thousand discs here and so far I could find none with a mono track. That includes some old TV series - even though they may have been mono originally, they were coded as stereo.
Anyway - we'll try to get one from your list, thanks for that.

I can see that mono discs do pool up if you have those preferences, but there may be 100 discs with mono altogether out of a rough total of 100,000, that still does qualify for "rare" ;)
We have a little over two thousand discs here and so far I could find none with a mono track. That includes some old TV series - even though they may have been mono originally, they were coded as stereo.
I also have the Batman TV series, along with The Twilight Zone as well. Could you also add Star Trek: The Original Series as well? Along with The Dick Van Dyke show as well.

I can understand your point that in the grand scheme of things, given that we live in a digital age mono is "rare" to find on anything released past the 70s. This still comprises a decent part of my collection though, so please don't discount as an anomaly (not saying you are or did). I also am finding that a fair number of my more modern releases even if the English audio track is 5.1 or better, the other audio tracks (French, Spanish, etc) are in Mono. Last point on this topic is although we're talking about 1 series - say Twilight Zone and you might say in your mind - well that's just that one thing, the Twilight Zone alone has 150+ episodes, so it's not a trivial issue. I can't match technical knowledge with you to know what a studio means when they say "Mono" as the audio track but coded as Stereo. It's all above my pay grade. I assume it just means, "still comes out of both of your speakers". If you're going to get one from the list though I'd do Lost In Space. It's the one I'll be testing most frequently with, since I need to re-encode the whole series due to hard drive failure.

Last edited:
Im not understanding the problem.

If you listen to a Mono broadcast on your stereo radio (home or car for example) the sound will still of course come out of both the left and right speakers.
The sound from each speaker is the same because it is Mono i.e. phase and amplitude is the same so your ears get the same sound and the brain sees the sound as coming from the centre, i.e. between the two speakers.

Stereo is NOT just left and right, the sound stage is the full stage, i.e. left/right and anywhere in between dependant on the phase difference between left and right, in fact, the sound can even appear to be out side this area, i.e. further left than the left speaker and further right than the right speaker, SO, as said before, if the phase is the same then the sound will appear to be central (Mono).

There is also another reason that Mono from disk is normally Mono via 2 channels. If you have a 3.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 system, by using 2 channels for Mono it spreads the output load, i.e. 2 amplifiers and 2 speakers are being used to produce the sound and not just one amplifier and the centre speaker.

The only time you want to use the centre speaker is as part of surround sound and not on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not understanding the problem.

The problem is merely, that CloneBD currently has trouble encoding mono tracks.
That's all - let's not go into discussing the pros and cons of having certain speaker setups.

The problem is merely, that CloneBD currently has trouble encoding mono tracks.
That's all - let's not go into discussing the pros and cons of having certain speaker setups.

And what im saying is that I don't see Mono from 2 channels as a problem, that's all. AND it was my only post on the matter.

And what im saying is that I don't see Mono from 2 channels as a problem, that's all. AND it was my only post on the matter.
I think some people want to save space by not storing two identical copies of the mono audio.

Confirmed. Issue resolved as of 1.0.8.7 (beta).

Fingers crossed for dedicated mono support.

Back