• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long will DVDs last?

That's why I'll probably keep on buying Blu-ray/DVD combo packs for the foreseeable future.

I don't trust the movie/TV studios to treat us, the buying public, with any respect, only the studios will be sticking their hand out demanding more cash for their product, in any format that they come up with.
And that is what I'll be doing myself and buying used DVD/BD combo from eBay or Amazon. Then using Anydvd HD w/CloneDVD/CloneBD to backup and watch the copy only.

That's why I'll probably keep on buying Blu-ray/DVD combo packs for the foreseeable future.
The only streaming I do is with my Fire. Nigh um-possible to hook a DVD/Bluray drive to the thing.

Got the Fire almost two weeks ago and enjoying the ability to watch movies/TV shows when I'm not at home, as long as there is a WiFi connection available where I am.

The DVD video format has lasted longer, far longer, than the studios would want, it has very little of the DRM features they want to stop what they consider piracy. Even Bluray is not as secure as the studios want.

Also the studios don't like having to mass produce physical media that can be used and reused by any number of people without paying for an additional license fee. With streaming they can charge for each viewing, just as they do with watching a movie in theaters.

My feelings on the studios thoughts exactly, and why I feel the studios will be pushing for streaming delivery of movies to the home market as soon as it's able to be done.
It's not as much a concern what the public will still be using in 20 years...it's more a concern of what the studios will be using to sell us the movies we pay to watch.
And I can't help but be concerned that the days of buying a DVD or BluRay on a separate disk will be numbered after high-speed internet is everywhere, and is the standard for internet service worldwide.

If this happens, I really hope that RedFox WILL come up with their
AnyStreamHD counter measure to that, so we can at least save the stream'd movie to our hard drives, or flash drives, ...hell,... even our own private cloud-servers :)

Don't let us down RedFox....
I love it when a good plan comes together. ;)

(OK, ... cue The A-Team music again... :D )

If streaming is the way of the future I guess hdcp strippers will be the norm. Price of blurays are 19.99 now for new bluray releases in canada. Getting cheaper. Use to be 40 bucks when bluray first came out. My hdcp stripper works great on my cable box and any hardware bluray player or any stream service.

The only streaming I do is with my Fire. Nigh um-possible to hook a DVD/Bluray drive to the thing.

Got the Fire almost two weeks ago and enjoying the ability to watch movies/TV shows when I'm not at home, as long as there is a WiFi connection available where I am.
I have a Fire also (It's a Fire HD 8--5th Generation), and I do adore the video quality of it, but I still want to watch video on Blu-ray or DVD.

Plus, I'm out a lot, and there are places where there is no wireless access, so unless I've downloaded the video onto my Fire, then I'm stuck.

Last edited:
I have a Fire also (It's a Fire HD 8--5th Generation), and I do adore the video quality of it, but I still want to watch video on Bl-ray or DVD.

Plus, I'm out a lot, and there are places where there is no wireless access, so unless I've downloaded the video onto my Fire, then I'm stuck.
I did get after-market a 32GB SD card, so I can "pork" up on downloaded books and videos when there is no WiFi access.

It is nice to be somewhere with free WiFi and being able to download more stuff while watching/reading something I d'led earlier. ;)

I have the bottom of the line 7" Fire, 5th generation 2015 edition. Hey, $10 off the $50 price tag was an enough incentive to get the thing. :D

I did get after-market a 32GB SD card, so I can "pork" up on downloaded books and videos when there is no WiFi access.

It is nice to be somewhere with free WiFi and being able to download more stuff while watching/reading something I d'led earlier. ;)

I have the bottom of the line 7" Fire, 5th generation 2015 edition. Hey, $10 off the $50 price tag was an enough incentive to get the thing. :D
Can't hate you for getting a discount on a Fire tablet.

They are sweet and worth the price, especially the last few generations of the tablet.

Being able to watch a movie or TV show, or read a book while you're out and about isn't so bad at all.

If streaming is the way of the future I guess hdcp strippers will be the norm. Price of blurays are 19.99 now for new bluray releases in canada. Getting cheaper. Use to be 40 bucks when bluray first came out. My hdcp stripper works great on my cable box and any hardware bluray player or any stream service.
I'm guessing if the online streaming becomes the normal way to deliver movies into the home, I'm sure they'll add some additional 'phone-home' checking for the movie to continue to play, or other additional coded deterrent added to the standard HDCP stuff...or something never before seen as yet..!

The studios will have full control of it all.:eek:

I hope I'm totally wrong about this, and the studios continue to distribute on separate disks, but it's beginning to look like disks for movie purchase will stop at some point when they feel enough people are on high-speed connections for streaming.... So, it's only time that will actually tell...that's why I say at least 20 years to see where studios start to focus their 'energies' on. (Maybe as soon as 10 years too)
If they start to get cozy with Optical Fiber ISP's ...by sponsoring them to expand their high-speed service... that will be the first clue.

I'm hoping they keep their thumbs up their wazoo and leave us alone...but...I'd also like world peace and an end to world hunger...and that didn't workout yet either. :rolleyes:

I searched for HDCP strippers and came across what it actually is...
http://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/
...they say it's just a simple HDMI splitter.

Is this similar to what yours is?

I searched for HDCP strippers and came across what it actually is...
http://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/
...they say it's just a simple HDMI splitter.

Is this similar to what yours is?
https://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-VHD-1X2MN3D/dp/B004F9LVXC

This is what I use. This records perfect video and my maudio 1010lt takes care of any dts, dtshd, dd, 5.1, 7.1 so I can backup anything. I suggest using redfox as its easier to backup your movies. I have this hardware as a backup when slysoft shut down and was not sure about the future. Either way I can continue backing up my movies no matter what happens. You can for streaming feed the video card out hdmi into in of this device and even powerdvd, netflix, and all of them can be captured with ease. There is a way to capture the 5.1 with lfe port. I simply use the speaker outs on my motherboard that are used to hook to those 5.1 or 7.1 computer speaker systems and feed then into 6 ins on my 1010lt. I then use 6 outs of the 1010lt to go 6 rca ins of my denon amp for live 5.1 sound monitoring in real time when recording in cubase. I let col2 record 1080p at 23.976 in 2 channel pcm. And at the same time record 5.1 to cubase setting vst channels to 5.1. (Maudi is a very POWERFUL daw card for studio recording) Then demux 1080p and import audio and video into adob premiere. Import 5.1 tracks from cubase. Line up sinc both audios. Then remove the video and 2 channel audio and use h264 to use free ac3 maker in adobe. Not surcode. And use tsmuxer to bring the video and 2 channel pcm and 5.1 ac3 into a container.m2ts and play on mpc madvr. My amp will trigger and play 5.1 or I can switch to 2 channel. The subtitles are recorded in the video. The forced ones. I dont care for doly atmos or ac3 or dts. As long as I can get 5.1 in any format to an ac3 file im happy. Happauge col2 can only caputure dd 5.1 and not dts. Insurgant will capture perfect from my hardware bluray player via hdmi and trigger dd ac3 as well but mad max fury road will record hdmi but switch 2 channel pcm because default is dts stream. This is why I use this setup to get around the dts loop. Tested starwars the other day and its spot on! In my uhd tv and amp I cannot hear or see any difference when watching the m2ts file. Also this solves all potections, screenpass and all that bullscrap. Reminds me of the good old days of recording onto a vcr tape. LoL

What I would use first:

Now with redfox put the disk in. Your done Redfox is better as long as they remain doing what they do.

All this stuff so I can keep my htpc alive. Maybe I should just give up and get off my lazy ass and put the disk in my player to watch. Nope.....im lazy

Last edited:
Wow..that's dedication to getting the movie backed-UP to the nth degree.(y)

Yeah, AnyDVDHD is easier, but it's good to know a hardware method is available too, for now.
As long as no 'extras' are added to the stream :eek:

I suppose I'd need a compliant 4K splitter, similar to this one...
https://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Ultra-HDMI-Splitter-Model/dp/B00J4D3RTU
...to backup UltraHD content.
image.jpg

It's specs say...
  • HDMI 1x2 splitter supports all HDMI video formats upto Ultra HD; HDMI v1.4a; 4Kx2K@30Hz and 3D
  • Support all HDMI audio formats; Support deep color up to 48bit
  • EDID Pass Through; Support 4K video up to 5M with AWG26 HDMI cable
  • In durable full metal jacket; comes with univeral 5V DC Power Adapter with US plug
  • ViewHD one year warranty; this model does't support CEC
...but even though it says it's HDMI 1.4a compatible, it still says it doesn't support CEC.
Is CEC needed? (BTW- what is that?) :)

I've also heard of HDMI v2.0 ...I guess these splitters will need to be replaced when that HDMI content is released. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-VHD-1X2MN3D/dp/B004F9LVXC

This is what I use. This records perfect video and my maudio 1010lt takes care of any dts, dtshd, dd, 5.1, 7.1 so I can backup anything. I suggest using redfox as its easier to backup your movies. I have this hardware as a backup when slysoft shut down and was not sure about the future. Either way I can continue backing up my movies no matter what happens. You can for streaming feed the video card out hdmi into in of this device and even powerdvd, netflix, and all of them can be captured with ease. There is a way to capture the 5.1 with lfe port. I simply use the speaker outs on my motherboard that are used to hook to those 5.1 or 7.1 computer speaker systems and feed then into 6 ins on my 1010lt. I then use 6 outs of the 1010lt to go 6 rca ins of my denon amp for live 5.1 sound monitoring in real time when recording in cubase. I let col2 record 1080p at 23.976 in 2 channel pcm. And at the same time record 5.1 to cubase setting vst channels to 5.1. (Maudi is a very POWERFUL daw card for studio recording) Then demux 1080p and import audio and video into adob premiere. Import 5.1 tracks from cubase. Line up sinc both audios. Then remove the video and 2 channel audio and use h264 to use free ac3 maker in adobe. Not surcode. And use tsmuxer to bring the video and 2 channel pcm and 5.1 ac3 into a container.m2ts and play on mpc madvr. My amp will trigger and play 5.1 or I can switch to 2 channel. The subtitles are recorded in the video. The forced ones. I dont care for doly atmos or ac3 or dts. As long as I can get 5.1 in any format to an ac3 file im happy. Happauge col2 can only caputure dd 5.1 and not dts. Insurgant will capture perfect from my hardware bluray player via hdmi and trigger dd ac3 as well but mad max fury road will record hdmi but switch 2 channel pcm because default is dts stream. This is why I use this setup to get around the dts loop. Tested starwars the other day and its spot on! In my uhd tv and amp I cannot hear or see any difference when watching the m2ts file. Also this solves all potections, screenpass and all that bullscrap. Reminds me of the good old days of recording onto a vcr tape. LoL

What I would use first:

Now with redfox put the disk in. Your done Redfox is better as long as they remain doing what they do.

All this stuff so I can keep my htpc alive. Maybe I should just give up and get off my lazy ass and put the disk in my player to watch. Nope.....im lazy

Last edited:
Just a quick jump back to original question: How long will DVD last?

Well be quick because DVD ends this Tuesday at 11:42:35 seconds
Blu Ray ends Wednesday at 13:21:13 seconds.

I might be wrong though.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised, these times are UK + Portugal times, just add an hour for rest of Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick jump back to original question: How long will DVD last?

Well be quick because DVD ends this Tuesday at 11:42:35 seconds
Blu Ray ends Wednesday at 13:21:13 seconds.

I might be wrong though.
:ROFLMAO:
I get your point.
I'm not predicting...just estimating.

Yeh, just a very rough estimate. LOL
Haha..yeah..but based on what's happening in the industry, and trends suggest streaming will be the way of the future for movies from studios to the home, because of the greed the studios have to stop people from truly owning their own paid-for content.

Haha..yeah..but based on what's happening in the industry, and trends suggest streaming will be the way of the future for movies from studios to the home, because of the greed the studios have to stop people from truly owning their own paid-for content.

Yeh I think your right.

Ive always said, "we have the power", problem is we don't use it.

The one saving grace is the fact that a lot of people like the physicality of an owned object, even if they also have it on a hard drive HTPC etc.

Yeh I think your right.
I was actually hoping I was wrong, but with the AACS-LA and other agencies going after software devs to such a degree, (SlySoft) it looks like it was a "test" case to see what worked for them.
Once high-speed internet is the "normal" home service in most places...it doesn't take a scientist to figure studios will go with streaming for the delivery option soon after...and disks will just be used by consumers for themselves.

Ive always said, "we have the power", problem is we don't use it.
True. People are basically sheep, and will follow a majority, instead of speaking-up or thinking for themselves...and uniting against the corporations.

If more people told movie studios they want to be able to make a legitimate backup copy of what they purchased, or there's no point in buying their products (movie disk) if they can't protect their investment ...you'd be amazed how fast studios would stop the BS, and let the legitimate purchase be backed-up.

The added cost of encrypting it, and paying licensing fees for the coding, is what's actually costing the studios their profit.
(I'll get off my soap-box now.. :) :whistle::p...at least I didn't ask to cue 'The A-Team' music again...:rolleyes::LOL:)

The one saving grace is the fact that a lot of people like the physicality of an owned object, even if they also have it on a hard drive HTPC etc.
Well...if everything goes to streaming in 20 or so years, you'll need to burn an antique-style optical disk for yourself when you split the HDMI or whatever video connector they're using by then, so you can make your own hand-holdable disk object you can "own" :rolleyes::p:cool:

Last edited:
Laughing at Tuesday/Wednesday posts

A grex will cover streaming backups as well, and cable/dvr recording; anything with digital or analogue protections. Plug A into A and B into B hook up recorder and walk away. Record D while watching C.

Laughing at Tuesday/Wednesday posts
Yeah, me too.:cool:

A grex will cover streaming backups as well, and cable/dvr recording; anything with digital or analogue protections. Plug A into A and B into B hook up recorder and walk away. Record D while watching C.
I'm glad all these hardware options exist. Rather comforting and cozy. :p
Now it's just a waiting game to see really how long the video "disk" will still be the studios choice.

We can now at least know other options will always exist, be it hardware or software, to backup what we pay for.

Software Streaming recorders have been around a while too there's two big ones I won't post, but I don't see fox getting into this arena, as there are already 2 really big players going at it. And both are exceptional at what they do.

Back