• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What to do when BD has read errrors?

A

AOKH

Read errors on Blu-ray: ALWAYS defective disc and/or drive. If your disc can read other discs just fine then your drive is fine and you've got a defective disc. That simple.

NOTE: During the production process there is a residue on the disc surface which doesn't always get removed although it should. If a Blu-ray disc is having issues being read then try carefully cleaning it. While Blu-ray discs are more scratch resistant one should always be careful. I normally use a damp microfiber cloth. If things are really bad (ie rental discs) I use either soapy water and then clean water so there's no soap left on the disc. Nonetheless, usually discs I am describing have trouble being seen by a Blu-ray drive to begin with. Once the film is cleaned off the disc then the issue vanishes. This has happened to me a number of times with import Blu-ray discs that I purchased online. Defective discs can be defective from the time of manufacturing, damaged in transport, or rentals being damaged, scratched, dirtied by moronic careless renters. Try cleaning the disc and if that fails then move on to exchanging for a replacement. In the end if cleaning a disc works it saves you a lot of extra work in having to get a replacement. :)

Thanks for the responses. I did try to clean it with soft sponge and soap, but to no avail. Will replace it. Thanks again for all the good advice!

NOTE: During the production process there is a residue on the disc surface which doesn't always get removed although it should. If a Blu-ray disc is having issues being read then try carefully cleaning it. While Blu-ray discs are more scratch resistant one should always be careful. I normally use a damp microfiber cloth. If things are really bad (ie rental discs) I use either soapy water and then clean water so there's no soap left on the disc. Nonetheless, usually discs I am describing have trouble being seen by a Blu-ray drive to begin with. Once the film is cleaned off the disc then the issue vanishes. This has happened to me a number of times with import Blu-ray discs that I purchased online. Defective discs can be defective from the time of manufacturing, damaged in transport, or rentals being damaged, scratched, dirtied by moronic careless renters. Try cleaning the disc and if that fails then move on to exchanging for a replacement. In the end if cleaning a disc works it saves you a lot of extra work in having to get a replacement. :)
This has happened to me as well. It seems to be happening more and more lately though. Think there's a manufacturing plant that isn't cleaning the material as well as it should.

I get read errors when trying to copy the movie "Legend" (using CloneBD due to Cinavia) even though the disc looks pristine. I saw on the redfox form a link with information about what to do when read errors like this occur, but the link is no longer active: https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/read-errors-on-blu-rays.30640/ (linked from https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/lots-of-movies-have-read-errors.67178/). My drive is fine, so I am a little confused. Any ideas would be appreciated.
FWIW it's here now: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/read-errors-on-blu-rays.30640/

Stickied that topic again, wonder who unstickied it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I did try to clean it with soft sponge and soap, but to no avail. Will replace it. Thanks again for all the good advice!
Late to party but did you also try to clean the laser lens as well not just the media? Laser lens do build up grease and dust causing read problems-it doesn't take much to throw a laser read off.

Late to party but did you also try to clean the laser lens as well not just the media? Laser lens do build up grease and dust causing read problems-it doesn't take much to throw a laser read off.
Thanks! No, I only cleaned the media, but following the advise I got here I returned the movie for a new one and the new one works great!

This has happened to me as well. It seems to be happening more and more lately though. Think there's a manufacturing plant that isn't cleaning the material as well as it should.
I think you are right. I following the advise I got here I returned the movie for a new one and the new one works great!

Read errors on Blu-ray: ALWAYS defective disc and/or drive. If your disc can read other discs just fine then your drive is fine and you've got a defective disc. That simple.
Yes, that is what it was! I following your advise and returned the movie for a new one and the new one works great! Appreciate the help!

Update: I exchanged the disc for a new one and it now works great. Appreciate all the good help here!

Back