• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD 6.1.7.0 Released

If you configure your router properly, you don't need a third party firewall.

A lot of NAT routers only block incoming packets--but not outgoing (this is true for the Linksys befsr41, for example), and I suspect many Slysoft customers don't necessarily use routers.

Last edited:
A lot of NAT routers only blocking incoming packets--but not outgoing (this is true for the Linksys befsr41, for example), and I suspect many Slysoft customer don't necessarily use routers.
I've never worried about outgoing since I would already be infected. I got no problem reinstalling the OS if I have to.

A lot of NAT routers only blocking incoming packets--but not outgoing (this is true for the Linksys befsr41, for example), and I suspect many Slysoft customers don't necessarily use routers.
Yeah. I liked Comodo firewall, but now I just use Windows firewall since I really am not worried about malware.

P.S. @Webslinger: that's no way to talk to women :D

Pffff . . . :p

I would have said the same thing to anyone who rings me six times in one day about the exact same issue ("Zonealarm Pro is asking me whether it's ok to allow this program to do . . . ."). And Zonealarm Pro is too complicated for beginners. I was being honest.

The freeware Zonealarm program mostly asks whether you want programs to connect to the internet or if you want the program to act as a server, etc. Zonealarm Pro asks A LOT more questions.

Last edited:
Several of them have spyware checks, and actually some firewalls do ask for specific permission for access to other system resources and files (Zonealarm Pro does that a lot; if you answer "No" to some of the popups, Zonealarm Pro will block the program from installing properly). Someone I know owns Zonealarm Pro, and she used to phone me a lot, "Zonealarm Pro just asked if I should give permission for this installer file to do such and such." Drove me nuts. I told her Zonealarm Pro is too complicated for her and to downgrade to the free version. Now she calls me less often (either because she was insulted--or she followed my advice . . . I'm happy either way :D)

hahaha..I had a g/f do the same...I just installed a copy of Norton's and left it alone. Personally I like that kind of control. I jhave liked Zone Alarm Pro since day one. When I first used it I noticed it was created by Checkpoint...who was the best corporate security software and now is part of Cisco which any networker knows rules networking hardware, security and such. So I feel better with it than Norton's which always was slow and would give errors every 2 weeks that made me uninstall/reiinstall.

As far as not running a 3rd party Firewall program...there's no way I wouldn't run one. I have better control with it and it's just easier to use. And I do use a router but all of that has nothing to do with my recent update issue...as I said before I've run the same programs for years now (same Linksys router) and never had an error like this before. There's nothing wrong with the ram, disk or anything as I recently did a check on all of it (which I do every month or so).

The only thing I "think" may be it is the last update was done when my pc was encrypted and in order to run a error-free backup I have to decrypt it and today's updates were done with my pc decrypted. However, when I am logged in and it's encrypted, the pc is actually running decrypted so that shouldn't matter...don't ask me to explain that one. The only programs I have problems with (so far) while encrypted are the backup programs. Encyption is PGP.

Anyway I did a System Restore and all is well for now

Last edited:
received a mail from support basically saying to uninstall AnyDVD while in Safe Mode, reboot normal and install update so I'll try that in the morning. Re-encrypting pc for now... I'll share results.

The most recent suggestion using Safe Mode doesn't work. I still get the same error. Oh well.

Fixed it

:D

I recall yesterday there was also a CloneDVD update but I ignored it after this happened because I was trying to troubleshoot the AnyDVD issues. After the Safe Mode way didn't work it hit me to uninstall both AnyDVD and CloneDVD and reinstall with the latest on both versions and it worked.

What triggered me to try to reinstall both was I tried to use CloneDVD today by itself to finish something I had saved earlier and I kept getting the same errors. Plus the error "Failed to Init ElbyCDIO!" reminded me Elby was the CloneDVD program. So apparently the newer AnyDVD revision with the previous CloneDVD revision didn't want to "get along" on my pc. Maybe doing this uninstall/reinstall to both could be added as a solution or a "sticky" or whatever if there are issues with future updates as this was one easy fix.

I'm glad that's over. I shouldn't have assumed it was just an AnyDVD issue, but it happened right after the update and the error popped up just when trying to open AnyDVD alone. After I saw CloneDVD did the same thing that gave it away.

Live & learn. Thanks for all the suggestions.

The most recent suggestion using Safe Mode doesn't work. I still get the same error. Oh well.

Check the version number of ElbyCDIO.dll (in Windows\System32) and ElbyCDIO.sys (in Windows\System32\Drivers, assuming you use a 32 bit OS)
ElbyCDIO.dll should be 6.0.6.5, ElbyCDIO.sys 6.0.1.0

I recall yesterday there was also a CloneDVD update but I ignored it after this happened because I was trying to troubleshoot the AnyDVD issues. After the Safe Mode way didn't work it hit me to uninstall both AnyDVD and CloneDVD and reinstall with the latest on both versions and it worked.
Did you have a warning dialog during installation, like "cannot write ElbyCDIO.dll"?

What triggered me to try to reinstall both was I tried to use CloneDVD today by itself to finish something I had saved earlier and I kept getting the same errors. Plus the error "Failed to Init ElbyCDIO!" reminded me Elby was the CloneDVD program. So apparently the newer AnyDVD revision with the previous CloneDVD revision didn't want to "get along" on my pc. Maybe doing this uninstall/reinstall to both could be added as a solution or a "sticky" or whatever if there are issues with future updates as this was one easy fix.

I'm glad that's over. I shouldn't have assumed it was just an AnyDVD issue, but it happened right after the update and the error popped up just when trying to open AnyDVD alone. After I saw CloneDVD did the same thing that gave it away.

Live & learn. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Already fixed it. Thanks.

Did you have a warning dialog during installation, like "cannot write ElbyCDIO.dll"?

Nope. But as I said earlier, I installed the AnyDVD update first and saw the CloneDVD update pop up later...so I was dealing with the AnyDVD thing and didn't bother with the CloneDVD update.

When I did the CloneDVD update today it worked fine. As mentioned before, the only error I saw was "Failed to Init ElbyCDIO!"

Nope. But as I said earlier, I installed the AnyDVD update first and saw the CloneDVD update pop up later...so I was dealing with the AnyDVD thing and didn't bother with the CloneDVD update.

When I did the CloneDVD update today it worked fine. As mentioned before, the only error I saw was "Failed to Init ElbyCDIO!"
I am asking, 'cause I want to know the reason for this strange behaviour, so I can fix it. It looks like the ElbyCDIO.dll in the two setups are different, but as far as I can tell, they aren't. Really strange.

I checked the 2 files you mentioned earlier and they are that version. But if anything was off with the other ones I had then reinstalling most likely over wrote them. But I'm guessing the older versions would have been wrong anyway since I hadn't updated. It just seems whatever revision of CloneDVD I had (before the update) didn't like the new AnyDVD updates and up until this time I could always open either CloneDVD or AnyDVD by itself. It's just odd how I couldn't open either.

I'm not sure that helped with your info. I could do a restore back to the way it was when it wasn't working and look but that would be a pain.

On a side note, I also run my registry cleaner (jv16 Power Tools) often and each time I uninstalled just AnyDVD, XP left 17-20 errors or excess data. Make me glad I have these programs to clean it up. I just thought it was odd to see XP leave that much junk off of one operation. But then again...

Last edited:
Unable to burn after update

Hi, I did an update today Aug-15th and after the update I am unable to burn. It was fine before the update. Any ideas? It gives a media write error.

Anydvd vs. Anydvd HD

Hello guys do anyone know the difference between anydvd and anydvd Hd? Is it worth it to spend the extra money? Thanks.

Hello guys do anyone know the difference between anydvd and anydvd Hd? Is it worth it to spend the extra money? Thanks.

That all depends. AnyDVD works on regular DVDs. AnyDVD HD, as the name implies, ALSO works on HD DVD and BluRay discs. It allows us to watch our high def movies on equipment that isn't necessarily HDCP compliant, thus allowing people to save a considerable amount of money in NOT upgrading their hardware for no real reason. Of course you need an HD DVD or BluRay drive in your PC in order to take advantage of these extra features. And you will need a player that is capable of playback of such discs such as (the oft hated) PowerDVD Ultra. So, if you want to utilize HD discs at some point, then yes, AnyDVD HD is very much worth it. Otherwise you can safely stick with AnyDVD if you only ever intend to use regular DVDs.

Back