• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why does AnyDVD get that "is unable to crack all css keys" message?

tbessie

I just got that message for the first time today. Looking it up here, advice was to set the region code on the DVD drive with AnyDVD not running. It was, indeed, "no region", so I set it to Region 1, started AnyDVD again, and it worked this time.

But why is this the first time I've seen this message, in all the years I've used this drive with AnyDVD, and the region code not set on it? Why did it have this error for the first time? Is it just the rare disk that this happens on, or is it a new feature in AnyDVD?

- Tim

That doesn't really matter, any DVD has a chance to trigger that behavior.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

That doesn't really matter, any DVD has a chance to trigger that behavior.

Agreed - if you leave the Region Code unset - sooner or later your drive will see a disk that gets the "CSS issue" vs AnyDVD.
You just saw it Tim, but we who "inhabit" (infest?) this board see it a lot. :D
-W

Agreed - if you leave the Region Code unset - sooner or later your drive will see a disk that gets the "CSS issue" vs AnyDVD.
You just saw it Tim, but we who "inhabit" (infest?) this board see it a lot. :D
-W

Ha! Infest, eh? :)

Well, I'm glad I know what to do now (and it won't happen again, I guess, since I set the region code).

I can't quite remember which movie it was; it was either "The Song of Bernadette" or one of the two "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" discs I ripped. I think it was the latter.

- Tim

I've seen it a few times now, but haven't noticed any problems with the discs.

If one does have problems, though, is the only solution these days (now that rpc1.org is defunct) to have one physical drive per region, or can the firmware be reset on modern drives?

I just got that message for the first time today. Looking it up here, advice was to set the region code on the DVD drive with AnyDVD not running. It was, indeed, "no region", so I set it to Region 1, started AnyDVD again, and it worked this time.

But why is this the first time I've seen this message, in all the years I've used this drive with AnyDVD, and the region code not set on it? Why did it have this error for the first time? Is it just the rare disk that this happens on, or is it a new feature in AnyDVD?

- Tim
Means originally your your drive Region was "0". I know my liteon drives where always "0" from factory if this wasn't set you would get that message from Anydvd HD. Once set to the right Region "x" then it will not alert you to the problem of Region setting.

Means originally your your drive Region was "0". I know my liteon drives where always "0" from factory if this wasn't set you would get that message from Anydvd HD. Once set to the right Region "x" then it will not alert you to the problem of Region setting.
What if you need to change regions more than five times, though?

not possible. After the 5th change, the drive is permanently locked to that region.

That's because they had modified firmware specifically to that purpose. Standard drives don't have that. 5 changes = locked.

Just set it to the region you are in. AnyDVD can take it from there.
-W

Yes.
If AnyDVD is working it won't matter if the disk you try to play is for a different region.

www.rpc1.org had ways around this, but that site is no longer active.
I think the drive manufacturers were forced to make it so it was harder to patch the firmware updates.
And recent model Liteon drives no longer seem to support a supposedly hidden but actually not so hidden command to switch them into RPC-1 mode.
Which is how I first came to be using AnyDVD, so I could play both Region 1 and Region 2 disks.

If one does have problems, though, is the only solution these days (now that rpc1.org is defunct) to have one physical drive per region, or can the firmware be reset on modern drives?
Just use AnyDVD. There normally isn't any other way now.

Not for all, only for CSS protected discs. While that is most of them, not all DVD's have CSS. When the region isn't set, anydvd has to bruteforce crack the keys which doesn't always work. With the region is set, anydvd can use the 'normal' method to do it.

Not for all, only for CSS protected discs. While that is most of them, not all DVD's have CSS. When the region isn't set, anydvd has to bruteforce crack the keys which doesn't always work. With the region is set, anydvd can use the 'normal' method to do it.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Explain further please.

--
Brian G. (In the UK)

What's there more to explain? Bruteforce is a method to 'guess' the correct decryption key. Which is supposed and doesn't always work, hence the title of this topic. When the region is set, anydvd doesn't have to guess it and can do the normal method to obtain the decryption key.

Back