• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A Small Vista Issue

Charlie

I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit, when I insert a DVD anydvd does its magic then power DVD comes up so auto play isn't really being stopped. I can test more today and try the 32 bit edition on the other PC which runs the Premium edition. On XP auto play was always stopped. This has went on for some time since 6.5 version and just sat patiently thinking the next would always fix this. Yes I know I can turn this off within windows but then have to re-enable it to watch movies on my PC so this can be bothersome and is not a fix in my book.

Yes this is another one of those "It's a Vista User Issue" got to love MS on this OS.

Anyways this is really annoying but I can live with it for the time being and would like to see a fix on this soon, I'll even try a beta for you James if all is done.

Thanks

Have you actually turned off Autorun within AnyDVD? I suggest you make sure that a box called "PC-Friendly (Autorun on Video DVD)" in Video DVD --> Settings is ticked :)

Have you actually turned off Autorun within AnyDVD? I suggest you make sure that a box called "PC-Friendly (Autorun on Video DVD)" in Video DVD --> Settings is ticked :)

Yes, I have went through anydvd's settings with a fine tooth comb. I rarely ever post an issue and had the program around 2 years and know it quite well. Like I said on XP it is fine vista 64 bit it isn't and getting ready to see on my 32 bit vista if it is different or the same.

The same occurs on Vista Premium 32 bit edition as well.

Yes, I have went through anydvd's settings with a fine tooth comb. I rarely ever post an issue and had the program around 2 years and know it quite well. Like I said on XP it is fine vista 64 bit it isn't and getting ready to see on my 32 bit vista if it is different or the same.

I have autorun turned off as well within AnyDVD (on XP Pro SP2), but it still pops up. I think turning it off within Windows would be the best solution, because Autorun as most people know it is not the area of AnyDVD's business :)

I have autorun turned off as well within AnyDVD (on XP Pro SP2), but it still pops up. I think turning it off within Windows would be the best solution, because Autorun as most people know it is not the area of AnyDVD's business :)

Now why do I need to do that? If I do then WMP has an issue with playing a DVD till I turn the auto play back on???? I think since it works on XP with the disable auto play (within anydvd hd) it can happen with Vista too.

Now why do I need to do that? If I do then WMP has an issue with playing a DVD till I turn the auto play back on???? I think since it works on XP with the disable auto play (within anydvd hd) it can happen with Vista too.

It is possible (in fact, probable) that autorun behaves differently on Vista than on XP. If so, then it should be handled differently. I don't have Vista installed so I cannot speak on its behalf, so it would be wise to see what James or peer would have to say about that :agree:

It's not Vista issue. It's PowerDVD issue. It created its own autorun, called PDVDServ.exe.

You have to download "Autoruns" utility from www.sysinternals.com (now Microsoft), find PDVDServ.exe and disable it (untick a checkbox next to it).

When you restart your computer, it will not run PowerDVD when you insert a disc anymore.

Besides this, I also disable "Cyberlink RichVideo Service" in Services, as I do not see why it is needed at all. Everything works fine without it.

P.S.: Forgot: there is another Cyberlink's program I disable using "Autoruns": language.exe.

Last edited:
It is possible (in fact, probable) that autorun behaves differently on Vista than on XP. If so, then it should be handled differently. I don't have Vista installed so I cannot speak on its behalf, so it would be wise to see what James or peer would have to say about that :agree:

Yes I agree but I won't attack James to get this done quicker, but hope he sees this and gets on it. One would think just a tweak in the auto run PC friendly script is all that's needed?

It's not Vista issue. It's PowerDVD issue. It created its own autorun, called PDVDServ.exe.

You have to download "Autoruns" utility from www.sysinternals.com (now Microsoft), find PDVDServ.exe and disable it (untick a checkbox next to it).

When you restart your computer, it will not run PowerDVD when you insert a disc anymore.

Besides this, I also disable "Cyberlink RichVideo Service" in Services, as I do not see why it is needed at all. Everything works fine without it.

P.S.: Forgot: there is another Cyberlink's program I disable using "Autoruns": language.exe.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. I'm sick of the garbage so many programs create and set to autorun. Don't even get me started on the services I set to manual with installed products that I don't use overly much instead of the standard automatic.

I always disable autoplay within the OS. Why? There's always a chance I may for whatever reason not have AnyDVD running and pop in a disc and voila I just shot myself in the foot. Better safe than sorry.

As for WMP playback and an issue? Eh? How would this be an issue. Open WMP and use the toolbar to access the DVD. That's not that much work, is it?

Note: The amount of time AnyDVD isn't running on my system is probably 0.1% but I still disable autoplay in the OS anyway.

I need the codec for WMP to play or it'll look like a negative picture waiting to be processed. :D

Point being it works with the same version of PowerDVD on XP but on vista (same version of PowerDVD) it just starts playing. so it isn't a powerdvd issue as pointed earlier since I use the same on XP and on Vista 32 bit and on Vista 64 bit.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. I'm sick of the garbage so many programs create and set to autorun. Don't even get me started on the services I set to manual with installed products that I don't use overly much instead of the standard automatic.

Yup, I do so, as well. Autoruns is awesome. Cyberlink's latest attempt at producing software...not so much. And I set most of those services to disabled so that they're not even loaded into memory. You'd be surprised how fast Vista can run without a bunch of useless crap loading into memory at startup. ;)

I need the codec for WMP to play or it'll look like a negative picture waiting to be processed. :D

Point being it works with the same version of PowerDVD on XP but on vista (same version of PowerDVD) it just starts playing. so it isn't a powerdvd issue as pointed earlier since I use the same on XP and on Vista 32 bit and on Vista 64 bit.

You need to go to your Vista control panel and look at the autoplay options. You can set each individual type of autoplay to whatever you want. PowerDVD hijacks a whole bunch of them. I disabled autoplay entirely in Vista on my machine. I'll start a disc with whatever I want manually...I don't need a program taking over my machine.

[OT]

Yup, I do so, as well. Autoruns is awesome. Cyberlink's latest attempt at producing software...not so much. And I set most of those services to disabled so that they're not even loaded into memory. You'd be surprised how fast Vista can run without a bunch of useless crap loading into memory at startup. ;)

Well, yes. For stuff I do need I set the service to manual especially installed programs. For Windows services I have a load disabled that I have absolutely no need for whatsoever. :)

[/OT]

[OT]

Well, yes. For stuff I do need I set the service to manual especially installed programs. For Windows services I have a load disabled that I have absolutely no need for whatsoever. :)

[/OT]

Just making sure. :) It makes a huge difference in Vista performance for me. And I have 2 gigs of ram in my machine!

Disabling the auto start completely did the trick it is weird though that this isn't an issue in XP with the same PowerDVD though and auto start within windows isn't disabled so anydvd hd does work as intended but not on Vista.

Disabling the auto start completely did the trick it is weird though that this isn't an issue in XP with the same PowerDVD though and auto start within windows isn't disabled so anydvd hd does work as intended but not on Vista.

Thanks MS and Cyberlink for this....

Back