• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why the price increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnms

I get that SlySoft is gone and I have to buy a new license now that AnyDVDHD is controlled by RedFox, but why did the price increase? AnyDVDHD was 79 EUR from SlySoft, but now it's 109 EUR. Did anything else change besides the name?

I originally bought AnyDVD in 2009 after building a new PC. I decided to buy a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray software and use my PC for Blu-ray playback since back then the cost was about the same as a Blu-ray player. After getting it all together, it wouldn't work because for some reason it said my monitor didn't support HDCP, which it most certainly did. After searching for a solution and nothing worked, someone pointed me to AnyDVDHD. I had already spent so much damn money on the hardware and software, so I bought AnyDVDHD (and it just happened to be during a 20% off sale). I kept using it out of convenience even after fixing the problem because it was nice to be able to put in a movie and watch it without sitting through unskippable ads and other crap.

I rarely buy movies and I mostly rent them. I don't copy or pirate moves movies even though I don't agree with their BS DRM schemes that hurt paying customers (or renting in my case) that support them and does nothing to stop piracy. I though I had read that holders of a SlySoft lifetime license would get a discount, but it appears that was a misunderstanding. I would gladly have bought a new license if the price were reasonable and/or I got a discount, but I can't justify it at this price. Even with the current discount it's costs more than when it was under SlySoft.

It doesn't help that I just had to fork out money to buy PowerDVD after three movies in a row I rented would not play on the discontinued ArcSoft Total media Theatre player I have been using.

It was nice while it lasted. Good luck, and maybe I'll come back if/when the price is more reasonable.

I get that SlySoft is gone and I have to buy a new license now that AnyDVDHD is controlled by RedFox, but why did the price increase? AnyDVDHD was 79 EUR from SlySoft, but now it's 109 EUR. Did anything else change besides the name?

I originally bought AnyDVD in 2009 after building a new PC. I decided to buy a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray software and use my PC for Blu-ray playback since back then the cost was about the same as a Blu-ray player. After getting it all together, it wouldn't work because for some reason it said my monitor didn't support HDCP, which it most certainly did. After searching for a solution and nothing worked, someone pointed me to AnyDVDHD. I had already spent so much damn money on the hardware and software, so I bought AnyDVDHD (and it just happened to be during a 20% off sale). I kept using it out of convenience even after fixing the problem because it was nice to be able to put in a movie and watch it without sitting through unskippable ads and other crap.

I rarely buy movies and I mostly rent them. I don't copy or pirate moves movies even though I don't agree with their BS DRM schemes that hurt paying customers (or renting in my case) that support them and does nothing to stop piracy. I though I had read that holders of a SlySoft lifetime license would get a discount, but it appears that was a misunderstanding. I would gladly have bought a new license if the price were reasonable and/or I got a discount, but I can't justify it at this price. Even with the current discount it's costs more than when it was under SlySoft.

It doesn't help that I just had to fork out money to buy PowerDVD after three movies in a row I rented would not play on the discontinued ArcSoft Total media Theatre player I have been using.

It was nice while it lasted. Good luck, and maybe I'll come back if/when the price is more reasonable.
What kinda license are you talking about? LTL from Slysoft was not 79 EUR it was far more expensive then that. So I think you got your price and License type cost in the wrong places. And what does RedFox have to do with a dead Slysoft-Nothing.

Looks like a price increase

I originally bought Slysoft AnyDVD HD LTL in 2007 for S79.00 US after the 20% off
and now I bought RedFox AnyDVD HD LTL in 2016 for $97.64 US after the 20% off

It is what it is and that is ok with me.

I originally bought Slysoft AnyDVD HD LTL in 2007 for S79.00 US after the 20% off

You might get a better perspective comparing this years prices to this years prices. :)
Of course it was cheaper almost 10 years ago! LOL
-W

Guess you have never heard of Inflation

The cost of living has gone up in 9 years

The price for a SlySoft AnyDVD (HD) license back in 2012 was, non-discounted for bundling, 119 Euros. The non-discounted price for a Redfox AnyDVD HD license is 109 Euros.

Yes, between 2008, when I first purchased an AnyDVD (HD) license, and 2012 the pricing went up. It is called inflation.

But the price has indeed gone down in comparison with the 4 year old pricing SlySoft had.

The price for a SlySoft AnyDVD (HD) license back in 2012 was, non-discounted for bundling, 119 Euros. The non-discounted price for a Redfox AnyDVD HD license is 109 Euros.

Yes, between 2008, when I first purchased an AnyDVD (HD) license, and 2012 the pricing went up. It is called inflation.

But the price has indeed gone down in comparison with the 4 year old pricing SlySoft had.

Most of us know that.... LOL! (sigh)
Seems some people will go to no ends to make sure Redfox looks like a "screw-job".
-W

I'm not sure inflation comes into it now. It's more deflation...

Under SlySoft, AnyDVD HD was 109 Euros in January 2009. It did increase to 119 Euros in 2012.
In 2016, the lifetime license is once again 109 Euros. A price drop of ~8% since 2012.

Lifetime license pricing for CloneCD & CloneDVD mobile has dropped considerably.
In 2009, a lifetime license for either program was 51 Euros.
In 2016, a lifetime license for either program is 39 Euros (the same price as it was for a 2 year license back in 2009). That's a price drop of ~23%.

Source start page: http://web.archive.org/web/20090114122637/http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.htm

Last edited:
I am glad Anydvd HD is still here to use and i do not have a problem with the RedFox price

If i had the extra money i would buy another RedFox Anydvd HD.

And yes i have heard of Inflation.

Long Live RedFox

WOW! You people have a wildly different idea of what inflation is than I do. I've been using AnyDVD since 2005 and I purchased a Lifetime License for AnyDVD HD in 2008 for 31 Euros.

109 Euros for the same license now is waaaaaay more than inflation! How about a free year for the people who were there from the beginning helping Slysoft get started or there wouldn't even be a RedFox?

Don't get me wrong... I love AnyDVD and I've been using it for 11 years now. However, trying to justify a 1 Year License now being more than twice the cost of my Lifetime License is asking a lot; especially with little to no regard for previous Lifetime members.

I think you're forgetting the fact that you've gotten 11 years worth of updates for €31. Name 1 other software you got that value out of. I think you've got very little to complain about. There are a lot more people that paid full slysoft price of €119 back in 2009 (I'm one of those) or even in December '15 that got only a few weeks or months worth of updates.

Yes.. the Redfox price is better than some of the latter Slysoft prices were for AnyDVD-HD - by a good margin too!
I have no complaints. I mean, it sucks Slysoft went down and all but....
-W

I agree with you... There is no software out there that can compare to the value I've received from AnyDVD HD over the last 11 years. However, the employees from Slysoft who are now running RedFox should at least acknowledge that previous Lifetime License Members were the ones keeping them in business by giving them at least a 50% discount.

If I had been part of the crowd that purchased a Lifetime License in December '15, I wouldn't be buying another one. Ignoring the fact that they were in legal trouble and still selling Lifetime Licenses to unsuspecting Customers is a seriously deceptive business practice. I love the program so I may go with a 1 Year License, but it will be a few years before I'll trust RedFox enough to try another Lifetime License.

I agree with you... There is no software out there that can compare to the value I've received from AnyDVD HD over the last 11 years. However, the employees from Slysoft who are now running RedFox should at least acknowledge that previous Lifetime License Members were the ones keeping them in business by giving them at least a 50% discount.

If I had been part of the crowd that purchased a Lifetime License in December '15, I wouldn't be buying another one. Ignoring the fact that they were in legal trouble and still selling Lifetime Licenses to unsuspecting Customers is a seriously deceptive business practice. I love the program so I may go with a 1 Year License, but it will be a few years before I'll trust RedFox enough to try another Lifetime License.
How was anyone keeping them in business by buying a license for 31 Euros 11 years ago? Those paying three times what you paid were helping much more. Now if you were buying one every 2-3 years or a yearly license, that would be a help. Same holds true today. Let's be real, people buy a LTL to help themselves more than the company. If the business stays in business for a while, it is cheaper for the buyer. The business would be better off with yearly licenses.

They will gladly sell you all the 1yr licensing you want actually they didn't want to sell the LTL ever again anyway but decided to which I am very thankful for and if they can survive 5yrs or until you can trust them enough to do a LTL renewal I think I'll have gotten my monies worth out if it really just in the updates and fixes alone

Unlike some people, I don't trust everything I read on the internet even from a company who sells a product I love. I invested a long time ago at a great price that benefited both Slysoft and myself. Most start up companies have great deals to draw people in who are willing to take a chance to support their software development which I did. I've already said that it was a great deal over the years, but things started to change in 2010. Slysoft made the announcement that they were no longer going to offer Lifetime Licenses which I'm sure was designed to bring in more money from the panic of current customers who didn't already have a Lifetime License.

Fast Forward to February of 2016... I go to Slysoft's site to look for a normal update to find it shutdown for legal issues. No warning e-mail for current customers who have been with them from the beginning and no warning for new customers concerning a legal battle that didn't happen overnight. Now, with absolutely no information available still... You want people to shell out more money including Lifetime Licenses again with the hope you won't be shutdown again.

How can I be the only one who is skeptical about this entire arrangement? As far as I know, Slysoft could have come up with this story about being shutdown and changed their company name to wipe out all of the people like myself who are still hanging on to a Lifetime License. I hope that is not the case, but since the trust is now gone after what happened the beginning of the year; it just comes down to what you want to believe.

They will gladly sell you all the 1yr licensing you want actually they didn't want to sell the LTL ever again anyway but decided to which I am very thankful for and if they can survive 5yrs or until you can trust them enough to do a LTL renewal I think I'll have gotten my monies worth out if it really just in the updates and fixes alone

I agree and I'll still buy the 1 Year License for a few years until I can trust that they will be around long enough for the LTL.

How can I be the only one who is skeptical about this entire arrangement? As far as I know, Slysoft could have come up with this story about being shutdown and changed their company name to wipe out all of the people like myself who are still hanging on to a Lifetime License. I hope that is not the case, but since the trust is now gone after what happened the beginning of the year; it just comes down to what you want to believe.

How?
Because some of us did our own research.....
As far as I know,

http://news.softpedia.com/news/dvd-...shuts-down-surrounded-by-mystery-500990.shtml

This is one of dozens of articles out there if you really search for info....

As for trust. I knew enough about the original owner of Slysoft, to be able to say I like this arrangement better.
He's gone. These guys - I trust more.
-W

Unlike some people, I don't trust everything I read on the internet even from a company who sells a product I love. I invested a long time ago at a great price that benefited both Slysoft and myself. Most start up companies have great deals to draw people in who are willing to take a chance to support their software development which I did. I've already said that it was a great deal over the years, but things started to change in 2010. Slysoft made the announcement that they were no longer going to offer Lifetime Licenses which I'm sure was designed to bring in more money from the panic of current customers who didn't already have a Lifetime License.

Fast Forward to February of 2016... I go to Slysoft's site to look for a normal update to find it shutdown for legal issues. No warning e-mail for current customers who have been with them from the beginning and no warning for new customers concerning a legal battle that didn't happen overnight. Now, with absolutely no information available still... You want people to shell out more money including Lifetime Licenses again with the hope you won't be shutdown again.

I agree and I'll still buy the 1 Year License for a few years until I can trust that they will be around long enough for the LTL.
The court cases are REAL, the shutdown by the Antigua Government was REAL , the news paper from Antigua proves that but if you Google you will find REAL information about it . They didn't do this just for fun or to resale licensing the responses from certain people when it happened proved that to me. They would love nothing more than for none of this to have happened but since it DID we must ALL move on and either support it for another 10 to 13 hears (length of slysoft's life I know of) but hopefully many many more than that I do have a new RedFox LTL you know, or Not but I'm sure they would like to have you as a supporter.
Again I can only speak for myself but what I've seen done for US the customer since 2/22/16 tells me all I need to know about RedFox. And I give them two BIG thumbs UP and Round of Applause. And a purchase of ALL three products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back