• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keep Protection (Blu ray/HD DVD)" ticked or unticked?

By design? I would have thought if an unprotected disc cannot be remastered, that would be due to some unsurpassed technical limitation (one which either cannot be surpassed, or was deemed to be not worth the effort) rather than "by design," as in a feature which could've been enabled but just wasn't - is that what you mean?

I've ripped all my discs with protection in case I want to change them at some point, but would prefer to be able to change them without protection, if possible. I understand if this is not possible or is considered to be not worth the effort, however.

It can't, once you rip the 'damage' is done and changes are permanent

Because certain actions and functions simply are tied to the encryption. Eg you can't remove a disc region without removing encryption too.

What is the point in keeping the protection anyway? Isn't the entire purpose of AnyDVD to get rid of it?

What is the point in keeping the protection anyway? Isn't the entire purpose of AnyDVD to get rid of it?

Changing re-mastering options afterwards (speedmenus, skip annoyances, change region lock, remove BD-Live or keep it, ... ).

As just discussed, retaining protection is required in order to edit the disc image for purposes James stated above, as well as to remove alternative audio tracks and special features. Rather than removed, a protected ISO's encryption is bypassed by AnyDVD HD each time it is mounted. This limits playback to computers running AnyDVD HD, but again, allows the ISO to be edited, whereas an unprotected ISO doesn't require AnyDVD HD running and can play on media players, but can't be edited.

Also, protection can never be restored once removed as far as I'm aware, whereas an unprotected copy or conversion of a protected ISO can be generated at any time. Thus, one might choose to rip all discs with protection and then create unprotected duplicates from them, edited to one's preferences, knowing that they could generate a differently-edited ISO from the protected 1:1 image at a later date if desired, without having to return to the physical media.

Last edited:
As just discussed, retaining protection is required in order to edit the disc image for purposes James stated above, as well as to remove alternative audio tracks and special features. Rather than removed, a protected ISO's encryption is bypassed by AnyDVD HD each time it is mounted. This limits playback to computers running AnyDVD HD, but again, allows the ISO to be edited, whereas an unprotected ISO doesn't require AnyDVD HD running and can play on media players, but can't be edited.

Also, protection can never be restored once removed as far as I'm aware, whereas an unprotected copy or conversion of a protected ISO can be generated at any time. Thus, one might choose to rip all discs with protection and then create unprotected duplicates from them, edited to one's preferences, knowing that they could generate a differently-edited ISO from the protected 1:1 image at a later date if desired, without having to return to the physical media.

To perform these tasks you must have an unprotected ISO

To perform these tasks you must have an unprotected ISO

Rather, you must have an ISO with bypassed but not removed protection, created using the option to keep protection in AnyDVD Image Ripper.
I've ripped all my discs with protection in case I want to change them at some point, but would prefer to be able to change them without protection, if possible. I understand if this is not possible or is considered to be not worth the effort, however.

It can't, once you rip the 'damage' is done and changes are permanent

Rather, you must have an ISO with bypassed but not removed protection, created using the option to keep protection in AnyDVD Image Ripper.
as well as to remove alternative audio tracks and special features
Protection is bypassed but not removed
If AnyDVD is working in the background then whatever software you are using sees an unprotected ISO
I do all my compression, removal of audio tracks and extras on unprotected ISOs

Last edited:
That's what "bypassed but not removed" means. An ISO created without checking "keep protection" can't be edited.

What do you actually mean by edited
Unprotected ISO
Can audio tracks and subtitles be removed --- yes
Can extras be blanked --- yes
Can the movie (main feature or full disc) be compressed --- yes
Can disc be re-authored --- yes

If you keep protection intact, the changes are done on the fly. Eg, remove region to play on a different region without actually removing the region.

Now I'm confused again; goncal seems to claim that ISOs created without checking "keep protection" can be changed, contradicting James and Ch3vr0n (who I'm sure are correct).

Don't confuse creation of Speedmenu, removal of BD-Live or region code etc with removal of audio tracks, subtitle tracks, compression,etc
I believe that its an issue of re mastering vs re authoring

Don't confuse creation of Speedmenu, removal of BD-Live or region code etc with removal of audio tracks, subtitle tracks, compression,etc
I believe that its an issue of re mastering vs re authoring

Oh, okay; I wasn't aware of that distinction. So, audio and subtitle tracks and bitrate can be altered and region coding can be bypassed but not changed on unprotected ISOs, but adding speedmenus, removing BD-Live, and changing region coding requires a protected ISO? What about removing trailers and extras?

With unprotected ISOs you can create
Main movie only back up
Full disc back up
Menu and Main Movie only back up (I believe)
Blank some or all extras on fulldisc back up
and of course re-encode and/or remove video, audio, etc
If you feel really creative you can completely re author the disc, new menus etc

With unprotected ISOs you can create
Main movie only back up
Full disc back up
Menu and Main Movie only back up (I believe)
Blank some or all extras on fulldisc back up
and of course re-encode and/or remove video, audio, etc
If you feel really creative you can completely re author the disc, new menus etc

Changing re-mastering options afterwards (speedmenus, skip annoyances, change region lock, remove BD-Live or keep it, ... ).

Conflicting information...

Not really, if you understand how it works. Speedmenu can be applied both on encrypted source as well as decrypted. The thing is however that with a previously decrypted source, the chances of it being done successfully are significantly lower than if the source was so encrypted.

Not really, if you understand how it works. Speedmenu can be applied both on encrypted source as well as decrypted. The thing is however that with a previously decrypted source, the chances of it being done successfully are significantly lower than if the source was so encrypted.
Is there a chance of being unable to change anything else on a decrypted source, i.e., removing audio tracks, trailers, warnings, and extras?

You can't remove subtitles/audio with anydvd. You need an authoring program like CloneBD. Trailers etc can be with anydvd but it's approach isn't perfect and can cause playback issues. Any major action like removing sub,audio,trailers,... is best done through such a program.

Back