• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What Type of Disc ?

dave15367

What type of disc should i be using in clone DVD dvd-r or dvd+r
many thanks

I prefer +R myself but either will work. The most important issue is to use quality media. Verbatim and Ty.

I prefer +R myself but either will work. The most important issue is to use quality media. Verbatim and Ty.
In order to assure higher compatibility with DVD-Video players, DVD+R format has bit-setting abilities, allowing the book type to be changed from DVD+R to DVD-ROM. While this does help the compatibility, it still does not allow the DVD+R format to exceed the DVD-R in video compatibility.
I'll keep using -R.

In order to assure higher compatibility with DVD-Video players, DVD+R format has bit-setting abilities, allowing the book type to be changed from DVD+R to DVD-ROM. While this does help the compatibility, it still does not allow the DVD+R format to exceed the DVD-R in video compatibility.

I would tend to disagree strongly with the latter part of that quote. DVD-ROM "is" the standard for prerecorded discs.

I would tend to disagree strongly with the latter part of that quote. DVD-ROM "is" the standard for prerecorded discs.
Well, that's what digitalFAQ says. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm

I have no doubt that they say that. From my own experience, I have yet to find a DVD Player that will not play a +R DVD that has been book typed to DVD-ROM.

I have no doubt that they say that. From my own experience, I have yet to find a DVD Player that will not play a +R DVD that has been book typed to DVD-ROM.
Well we have yet to find a DVD Player that won't play our DVD -Rs. 8)

Like several things in the digitalfaq, the information is outdated (and in some cases with blank media rankings--simply inaccurate).

read through this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=224544

dvd-rom bitsetting helps with that issue (and it's not just imgburn and clonedvd that were affected). As it stands, Clonecd (the Clonedvd issue has been resolved as of Clonedvd 2.9.1.2) backups that have been booktyped to "dvd-rom" stand a better chance of playing (due the buggy firmware protection check) on the Samsung standalone player than dvd-rs (that were backed up using Anydvd and Clonecd).

Last edited:

My stepfather had a player that wouldn't play +R or -R. I tried both, several times, different brands. When I learned about booktyping, I booktyped a +R to DVD Rom. The player played it flawlessly. Been booktyping ever since.

My stepfather had a player that wouldn't play +R or -R. I tried both, several times, different brands. When I learned about booktyping, I booktyped a +R to DVD Rom. The player played it flawlessly. Been booktyping ever since.
Must be an old player. To not play -R or +R without booktyping is pretty bad. If it was new I would have returned it.

I would agree DVD-Rs are better and user friendly with most burners. I also use DVD+Rs, I think the important issue is the media quality. I recommend Verbatim.:agree:

Last edited:
I would agree DVD-Rs are better and user friendly with most burners. I also use DVD+Rs, I think the important issue is the media quality. I recommend Verbatim.:agree:
Even better...use +R and book type to DVD-ROM.......even better compatibility.

Back