• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD quality

rod60

Yesterday I downloaded AnyDVD and CloneDVD and started to make copies of original movie DVDs that I owned. The quality of the copy has been so poor as to make the copies unwatchable. Poor audio and scrambled pictures. One movie was a DL disk compressed onto a single layer however one movie did not use any compression yet the quality was unwatchable. The burner is a new Lite-On.

Could this be a burner problem and not related to CloneDVD?

Regards, Rod60

Yesterday I downloaded AnyDVD and CloneDVD and started to make copies of original movie DVDs that I owned. The quality of the copy has been so poor as to make the copies unwatchable. Poor audio and scrambled pictures. One movie was a DL disk compressed onto a single layer however one movie did not use any compression yet the quality was unwatchable. The burner is a new Lite-On.

Could this be a burner problem and not related to CloneDVD?

Regards, Rod60
A lot of variables to consider here. But if you use CloneDVD right, it will make good quality copies. It could be a burner problem, although doubtful. More likely to be the way you used CloneDVD. The amount of compression determines the quality.

One of the DVD's that copy very poorly is the following:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.9)
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P KL05 2006/11/21 11:12
Drive (Hardware) Region: 4

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2027514 sectors (3959 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: AU_110043
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 4!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 4!

I would have thought that this would have cloned successfully to a DVD-R. However using DVDShrink or CloneDVD2 the quality is very poor.

Not having copied DVD's before I am not sure what quality to expect.

Regards Rod60

Hi :)
When using AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 you don't need a third party s/w to compress. (N.B. The info in your post [Total size: 2027514 sectors (3959 MBytes)]
means no compressing required. Therefore shrink not needed anyway.)
To find out whether the drive or CloneDVD2 is the problem.
1st Update your f/w. KLON is the latest (See attached).
I use this drive & have no such problems.

As for the s/w.
AnyDVD just runs in the background, so leave that alone.
Then use CloneDVD2 to rip, compress & then write.
See how this performs.

P.S. You might find taking a look here useful.;)

Last edited:
One of the DVD's that copy very poorly is the following:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.9)
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P KL05 2006/11/21 11:12
Drive (Hardware) Region: 4

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2027514 sectors (3959 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: AU_110043
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 4!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 4!

I would have thought that this would have cloned successfully to a DVD-R. However using DVDShrink or CloneDVD2 the quality is very poor.

Not having copied DVD's before I am not sure what quality to expect.

Regards Rod60
That model was having a lot of problems with AnyDVD before. Get a firmware update. http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/LH-20A1P/firmware/DR20KL0N.zip

Many thanks DetroitBaseball and Zebadee. It appears to have been a firmware issue, when I first went to the Lite-on site it showed KL05 as the most recent however the link from DetroitBaseball showed up KLON. So thank you both I have just recopied a DVD that previously gave me a poor quality and it looks fine.

I also downloaded Nero Speed. That looks like a useful utility.

Regards, Rod60

Many thanks DetroitBaseball and Zebadee. It appears to have been a firmware issue, when I first went to the Lite-on site it showed KL05 as the most recent however the link from DetroitBaseball showed up KLON. So thank you both I have just recopied a DVD that previously gave me a poor quality and it looks fine.

I also downloaded Nero Speed. That looks like a useful utility.

Regards, Rod60
Also, grab the new versions just released by Slysoft.

Back