• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maybe you should not upgrade to Vista

Yes I have the NVIDIA 8500 or 8600 GT can't really remember and can't find the official DX10 either.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR . . . . . . . :mad::mad:

What the bleepity bleeeping bleep is Microsoft trying to do? Send me to crappy console gaming?

click this: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41577 and read the article

Definitely irritating and I would likely be cursing endlessly under my breath but as is noted in the article...

Wily Ferret @ The Inquirer said:
But these gamers shouldn't fret too much - 10.1 adds virtually nothing that they will care about and, more to the point, adds almost nothing that developers are likely to care about. The spec revision basically makes a number of things that are optional in DX10 compulsory under the new standard - such as 32-bit floating point filtering, as opposed to the 16-bit current. 4xAA is a compulsory standard to support in 10.1, whereas graphics vendors can pick and choose their anti-aliasing support currently.

While this situation is ridiculous it shouldn't be earth shattering. Now, I'm saying that having not spent an insane amount of money on a video card so I can't fully relate to those who had.

As it stands DX10 already put developers in an odd situation. The majority of people stil run XP and will for quite a few years, IMO. Vista adoption is happening and will continue to but developers have to remember that DX10 [supposedly] will never work under XP so they'll lose a lot of gamers if DX9 isn't supported in their games and if only a limited group of people have Vista and a DX10 supporting card... can they really justify the work? Now take that one step further. They know people dropped a load of money on DX10 video cards and now along comes DX10.1. Any developer who actually screws those people that bought those DX10 cards will, IMO, have to deal with one seriously ugly backlash.

Definitely irritating and I would likely be cursing endlessly under my breath but as is noted in the article...

Yeah, I'm not sure (or rather, I doubt) that article was written by a true pc gamer, because I did notice a couple of (paper) improvements that seem appealing--notably shader model 4.1 and "the ability to render to block-compressed textures".

visit http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=103&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=2

As it stands DX10 already put developers in an odd situation. The majority of people stil run XP and will for quite a few years, IMO. Vista adoption is happening and will continue to but developers have to remember that DX10 [supposedly] will never work under XP so they'll lose a lot of gamers if DX9 isn't supported in their games and if only a limited group of people have Vista and a DX10 supporting card... can they really justify the work?

from http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forg...0-1-Preview-for-Windows-Vista-SP1-61398.shtml

"Microsoft estimates that in excess of 10 million gamers have upgraded to Windows Vista just to reek in the benefits of DirectX 10. The latest statistics from Redmond reveal that Vista sold over 60 million licenses from January 30. "

Presuming those are 10 million PC gamers that bought directx 10 cards, I should hope that also equals 10 million annoyed PC Gamers.

I mean, really, we've only see less than a handful of directx 10 games released (and, so far, they received less than stellar reviews irrc)--and already we're having 10.1 thrust upon us.

If you need to buy a new computer right now and your primary focus is PC gaming . . . well, this is a bad situation to be in atm. :(

Gaming developers certainly won't abandon directx 10 card owners, but I suspect most people didn't shell out big bucks thinking they'd have to make another big upgrade so quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure (or rather, I doubt) that article was written by a true pc gamer, because I did notice a couple of (paper) improvements that seem appealing--notably shader model 4.1 and "the ability to render to block-compressed textures".

visit http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=103&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=2

from http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forg...0-1-Preview-for-Windows-Vista-SP1-61398.shtml

"Microsoft estimates that in excess of 10 million gamers have upgraded to Windows Vista just to reek in the benefits of DirectX 10. The latest statistics from Redmond reveal that Vista sold over 60 million licenses from January 30. "

Presuming those are 10 million PC gamers that bought directx 10 cards, I should hope that also equals 10 million annoyed PC Gamers.
DX10 can work on XP.

I thought there weren't many DX10 video cards out yet

Lots of Directx 10 supported video cards are out. 10.1 cards likely won't be released until very late this year or in 2008 (according to rumours I'm reading about ATI, but I'm not sure about Nvidia).

Last edited:
Lots of Directx 10 supported video cards are out. 10.1 cards likely won't be released until 2008 (at least, not by ATI, but I'm not sure about Nvidia).
How can I check to see if my card inside my laptop that came with Vista fully supports DX10?

How can I check to see if my card inside my laptop that came with Vista fully supports DX10?

I would just go by the model number of the card. The GeForce 8 Series of GPUs (so 8600, 8800, etc.) are Directx 10 cards. So are ATI's radeon HD 2900 and 2600 series, I believe.

There's probably a list of directx 10 cards somewhere, but I'm afraid I'm a little busy at the moment to search. I'm agonizing over whether I should build a system now or wait.

Last edited:
I would just go by the model number of the card. The GeForce 8 Series of GPUs (so 8600, 8800, etc.) are Directx 10 cards. So are ATI's radeon 2900 and 2x00 series, I believe.

There's probably a list of directx 10 cards somewhere, but I'm afraid I'm a little busy at the moment to search. I'm agonizing over whether I should build a system now or wait.
I doubt it then since it's the Intel GMA950. I'm not a gamer much so it's ok.

And....you expected more from MS?! Console gaming rocks, btw. Especially with kb/m support now being added to some games.

P.S. Find me anyone including devs that care about DX10...good luck.

Last edited:
And....you expected more from MS?! Console gaming rocks, btw. Especially with kb/m support now being added to some games.

Until I can add a Logitech G15 keyboard and a Razer Deathadder mouse and play NWN2 (or offering anything as deep as a game that lets me create other games), count me out (and until the games stop catering to people who don't want to read, but that's another conversation).

Dragon Age will also be PC only.

Find me anyone including devs that care about DX10...good luck.

Ever hear of a little something called Bioshock (the 360 version will be pretty close to the PC version, but the PC version will have some nicer Directx10 features)? How about Max Payne? Crysis (not that I'm going to buy it)?

I think they do care; otherwise, they wouldn't be developing games with directx 10 improvements:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741

Last edited:
Here is another story I love to see: Gabe Newell: DirectX 10 for Vista was a mistake

According to an online survey by Valve Software, only one in fifty players who access download service Steam has a DirectX 10-compatible graphics card and Windows Vista installed. In an interview with heise online, Gabe Newell, president of Valve Software, said that Microsoft made a terrible mistake releasing DirectX 10 for Vista only and excluding Windows XP. He said this decision affected the whole industry as so far only a very small percentage of players can use DirectX 10.

To read the whole story follow the link at the beginning of the post.

Back